What exactly is a falang "bum"

taxexile

Etched into the faces of these bums is a history of a life of abject failure both in their work and relationships; they find like minded losers with other bum falangs...and their low self-esteem is revealed by them attaching themselves to reject  unattractive Issan females.

Surely it is about time the authorities did something to get rid of these losers?

Why must we be infested with these falang cockroaches?

They give the decent foreigner living here a bad name.

Maybe the new Visa rules will be a start to ridding us of these bums.

Lets hope so.

what a judgement !

is that all what you "expect" from this new law?

sad  :D

a lot of us, foreigners are going to suffer from this new rules and we are

this is not the case for everyone  :o

look out your so clean world and don't look down on people like this, it's not nice.

if this happen in your home country, might be that you won't even notice it, but here ... hum hum, "they" attempt to your

"little paradise" ?

if you call them losers,might be that they are, and so what?

can you tolerate people different, even if you find them disturbing?

might be that the Thais are tired of these people also, but I don't think that they made a new law, just for them!

could be good to think twice before to put the shame on people like this, no?

anyway, have a good day  B)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, what he said!

Francois,

You are French, no?

You keep writing sentences and then tacking the word 'no' onto the end to turn it into a question, no?

Why do you do that? no? oops. that didn't work.

You can also use the word 'yes' instead, yes?

English is a funny language, yes?, no?

I think you should try to write it in more betterly like me, no?

Otherwise people will have nfi <deleted> you are trying to say.

viva la francais, no?   NO !

"and their low self-esteem is revealed by them attaching themselves to reject  unattractive Issan females."

I will assume this is a generalisation?

I am married to an attractive Issan lady & have 3 boys. We live in the Issan region and have a good size cattle farm. Personally I hire my brother in law (Issan Thai- a more honest chap I have never met! farang or thai)  I am 43 yrs old & have a very successful investment advisory company in Australia. A farmer I am not!

My Thai family earn a good living from the farm rather than the subsistance rice farming their neighbours under take

My point is, if I am a BUM, you must be the Sultan of Brunei?

Generalisations leave much to interpretation.

pete :o

if this happen in your home country, might be that you won't even notice it,
this does happen in my home country, and these people are noticed.  turds will smell bad wherever they are  dropped.

benefit scroungers,petty criminals,trailer trash and council flat

scum. selfish oafs without morals. from the uk,the us,and europe.thailand is filling up with them because its cheap to live here and its expensive to live where they come from.

drunken falangs,stumbling barefoot down sukhumvit,vomiting into the gutter,in the afternoon. british football supporters shouting racist obscenities at the top of their voices during the world cup last year.falangs begging for change, falang on falang punch ups,aggressive and obese americans insulting street vendors,russian thugs who think they own the place,etc.etc.etc.etc.

no wonder there is anti-falang feeling among the thais.

that kind of behaviour from thais would not be tolerated.

the thais want them out,falangs who live here in quiet and peaceful enjoyment want them out,and the sooner they are out the better for the rest of us.

round them up with the dogs and rats and dispose of them,they benefit nobody other than themselves.

unfortunately, you cant make a law against dirty vests, stained trousers and less than beautiful spouses(that criticism was grossly unfair,by the way and totally uncalled for) so until the entry requirements are adjusted and/or the kind of establishments that attract these characters in their hundreds are regulated, they will continue to come. they are no good for thailand.

if you call them losers,might be that they are, and so what?

can you tolerate people different, even if you find them disturbing?

i can tolerate most people so long as they dont make their presence felt with anti social behaviour and set bad examples to the impressionable.

losers should not be allowed to keep on losing,there is safety in numbers for these losers here,cut down the numbers and the few remaining may even have a go at becoming winners.or leave.

i have no sympathy for them, may their money run out quickly.

if there are any yobs reading this then please reply and give us all some insight into your lifestyle of bad fashion and ugly behaviour.

Living in up-country Isaan, it's blissfully free of the kind of farang "bum", as described by several posters of an intolerant disposition. Getting rid of them may be possible, as proven by several European countries over the past century, when they decided they didn't like one particular undesirable group or another (gypsies, gays, Jews, etc.). You can move them on and discriminate against them (or even extererminate them), but it doesn't solve the underlying issue of why they're around in the first place. As this is a Big Issue (anybody ever read this excellent mag when in UK?) it requires broad minded, lateral thinking that goes back to basic social, philosophical and psychological issues, which are often in short supply in "modern", industrial and "competitive" societies. As this is the way that Thailand is moving fast, I would posit the proposition that for every farang "bum" removed, three local ones will spring up in his place. Tolerance is a quality in ever shorter supply, as Mr TRT tightens the reigns. Did I imagine it or did he say that he wanted his daughter to work in Mac Donalds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Now, there's some small irony for Chonabot).

Getting rid of them may be possible, as proven by several European countries over the past century, when they decided they didn't like one particular undesirable group or another (gypsies, gays, Jews, etc.). You can move them on and discriminate against them (or even extererminate them),  

plachon

i feel i must take issue with you over the above.

by "getting rid" nobody (i hope ) is proposing extermination, and to equate moving on and trying to cut down the numbers of  foreign "bums" currently in thailand with racial genocide is a bit far fetched.

if you had drunken noisy neighbours or foreign louts acting in a manner that offends the host culture you would indeed be a saint if you did not discriminate against them to the extent of making it harder for them to carry on doing it.

i am not talking about people living their lives in quiet enjoyment,or even not so quiet enjoyment. this has nothing to do with financial status. most "bums" have enough to live on. their benefits are paid straight into their bank accounts.

i doubt that you would try and reform them by pointing out the errors of their ways and offering them social,psychological and philosophical counselling. you can only tolerate so much,soon it becomes intolerable.

to allow such behaviour is to condone it,thailand does not wish to be seen to condone it,and so will try and prevent it.

along with the drug and corruption problems prevalent here.and i wish them well in their quest to improve thailand.

thailand can only improve by cutting down on the numbers of undesirable elements in society. life will be better for all.

western society has become a playground for "bums".the law is too weak to touch them.constant welfare handouts take away any incentive to look after ones self.the honest poor suffer but the criminals,the benefit fraudsters,the cheats,the lazy,those who want everything handed to them on a plate,those who know all about their "rights", but know nothing about their responsibilities within society.people with no consideration for their fellow man.the yobs.

now these yobs come here.because their money goes a long way here.its not against the law.yet

they should not be allowed to.

intolerant ? against bums and yobs ? definately.

phazey said "props" ???? what are "props"?

phazey said "props" ? what are "props"?

Tax...

Firstly,

To give "props" means to say that you wish to acknowledge what someone else said or did as being very good.

In this case, Phazey is simply agreeing with what you said in your earlier post, and that he thought it was a good comment, in other words you have posted along the same line of thinking.

I want to throw a twister in here as well, directed at the greater forum village....

Many of you have fleetingly implied that to be a "bum" may mean nothing more than having too much time on your hands.  And that those people with too much time on their hands spend their spare hours talking rubbish to anyone who will listen - personal opinions that they wish to bestow on the rest of the world, without caring about whether their opinons are balanced, or logical, or honest.

Hate to be the one to point out a similar parallel in this internet age - but wouldn't this analogy label most of us forum posters as bums ??!  Me included!

:laugh:

Guest IT Manager

FWIW I am enjoying this forum immensely. It challenges me to look down the road to a point where the reason I live in Thailand in reality, is no longer alive. Hopefully that will be a long way down the road, but he has survived 7 years now, and in the west, I have known of people surviving for 20 years and more with the medication that the Thai Government developed and made avaiable to all comers, at cost.

When we look at someone, (and I am guilty as anyone your honour), and say what an <deleted> loser, we actually lose a little bit of ourselves I think. We look at what we came from, what we have, who our friends are and then judge others by a rule we use to measure our person-ness.

Pete the Issan Farm dweller for example, makes the point about living out in the bush with the people he loves and respects and who, one assumes, love and respect him for what he has made possible for them.

In my very small village we are liked, I suppose respected because we are able to bring things to the village which they wouldn't have otherwise had.

My wife teaches the kids and the women to use English, I have a small company about 20 kms away, which I spend about 4 hours per day at. We have enough money to pay for our boys' meds and to have a decent meal on the table. We don't have a car, but a little honda dream which does just what I want it to do, get me to town. And overall I think of myself as lucky.

If I apply the blanket generalisations which have been surfacing here and there in this forum, I would be, I think, a bum. I don't see myself like that and neither do my friends, all of whom, with 2 exceptions, are Thai.

I guess this is a long post for me, but I do feel it is worth being a little less shallow when making assertions about lifestyles that others see as "perfect". maybe when you look past the visual, there is more there than perhaps was obvious at first glance.

I like my lifestyle, I would like a faster adn better PC and maybe a car, and when it becomes a necessity, I will get it, but right now it isn't necessary, so I will continue to move quietly along in my chosen life, hunting the chickens out of the kitchen and bitching about the light switch that only works every third day if it isn't an even number, in the month, and give thanks for my luck.  :o

A time comes to mind when an old bum in Sydney spent years, writing on the pavement in chalk, simply one word. "Eternity". I can't remember his name but I had cause to look up an expression once on the internet, which included that word.

Pages of search results, gave me his name, and it must have been ten years ago or more he died. His word, beautifully copperplated became the centre of the Sydney Harbour Bridge Fireworks display some years ago. He was a bum. Happy with his lot, never had more than he needed, but how many lives he must have changed. I hope in making my son's life the length it is already, that I also have been responsible for some little change, tiny to even me, but I know I have had some success when my 17 year old kisses my wife and me goodnight every single night.

Nicely said.

I spent quite some time in this forum. It opens your eyes to other peoples problems. You hear stories you never thought about. I do not look down at anybody, neither do I look up, I live my own life, but to share ideas, experiences is a good thing. You learn about other peoples thinking and think about things you take for granted.

It will not stop me from my regular pub-visits. Who does not need to relax and to meet real people out there face to face.

But in the forum, you got one big advantage, you can (or at least try to) think before you open your mouth, so to say.

If a member feels something is worng with what i said, I get the same feeling, there was some thinking before writing.

What is a bum? Long hair? Short hair? Leasure wear and flip flops? Everything at the right time at a right place. Take a former landlord of an apprtmt where I lived, he looked a bit like a bum and took a non-aircon bus to save a few Baht,  but owned 20 apptmts in down-town BKK.

The Thais, and I like it, have a fable for water. So whatever you wear you are not a bum, except when you seem to have lost your soap, than let's call you a farang-bum. Lack of personal hygiene is the only thing I do not tolerate.

Edward, you are English, right?

yes, I'm french, and so what, I do not manipulate english language in the perfect english way ... sorry for this  B)

as an english guy, (as you know france, I guess), you should consider that my english is not that bad for a french! yes, no?

haha  B)

I just lol alone, because, it's another way to look at people,

are you like a lot of americans who consider that everybody should speak english language, "as it is so international" ?

I hope not, for you ... there so many languages in the world  :D

and for me to write and speak english everyday, is somehow natural, but how many french have the same feeling?

have you ever ask this question to yourself, how is it to be

obliged to communicate in a language which is not yours?

like to have to speak Thai, hum?

do you express yourself as well in Thai as in English?

you see, you have to make a kind of adaptation of your own way to express yourself, and try to translate it into another language, it's not this easy  ::o:  you know that!

this way to add no? at the end is a french habit, a little bit Thai too ...

it's like when you say a "hum" (interrogative) at the end of your sentence when you speak, do you see what I mean?

and don't take this like a "reply" please  B)

I enjoy to read and write in this forum, I improve my english everyday, I mean the writing side ...

anyway, enjoy your day

i can tolerate most people so long as they dont make their presence felt with anti social behaviour and set bad examples to the impressionable.

losers should not be allowed to keep on losing,there is safety in numbers for these losers here,cut down the numbers and the few remaining may even have a go at becoming winners.or leave.

i have no sympathy for them, may their money run out quickly.

taxexile .... do you really mean waht you write here?

I could agree with this antisocial behaviour, which is a fact in so many countries  :o

but definitely, I can't agree with the background ...

I just feel that you really don't like people you call losers,

did you have any bad experience concerning this side of life?

I wonder, because, it smells untolerance ...

I hope not, I have no sympathy for them either, but I am not here to say, they should blabla ...

for sure in our new world-society, these people did not make the right choice, this seen from the politicaly correct side of the things, but if we look aa little bit on the sides, what do we see, a lot of people left behind  :D

and pityfuly it's a reality, can we blame these people who gave up fighting just because we did not .. not yet  B)

even if I don't like to be in their presence, even if they don't match Thai culture, even if a lot of people consider that they should be out ( back to a more miserable life), I do think that there is a better way than looking down on them.

I do agree that it's a cheaper lofe and surely easier for them here, but as long as the country will accept them in, we should not say a thing, there are humans like you and me!

if one day rules change, and most of these "bum" can't come anymore, or not as long as now, you might be happy,

I will consider that discrimination had never been a good thing.

there should be a middle way in order to avoid wrong behaviors here.

sorry to be so opposite to you, but some values like tolerance, or compassion are important to me more than selfish reacting.

Yeah, what he said!

Francois,

You are French, no?

You keep writing sentences and then tacking the word 'no' onto the end to turn it into a question, no?

Why do you do that? no? oops. that didn't work.

You can also use the word 'yes' instead, yes?

English is a funny language, yes?, no?

I think you should try to write it in more betterly like me, no?

Otherwise people will have nfi <deleted> you are trying to say.

viva la francais, no?   NO !

Sometimes I do laugh about mistakes made in a foreign language (English is not my mother tongue) I laugh because it sounds funny, like a Filipina once said to me (I told her I was going to Cebu) "So tomorrow this time you will be on the bitch"

or the Thai classic for saying you are married:

"Ah you have mywife"

I try to laugh later, not in front of the one who made the mistake. An easy rule for me to respect the partner "Your English is better than my Thai" No. Francois, your English is by far better than my French. Yes.

Sometimes I do laugh about mistakes made in a foreign language (English is not my mother tongue) I laugh because it sounds funny, like a Filipina once said to me (I told her I was going to Cebu) "So tomorrow this time you will be on the bitch"

or the Thai classic for saying you are married:

"Ah you have mywife"

I try to laugh later, not in front of the one who made the mistake. An easy rule for me to respect the partner "Your English is better than my Thai" No. Francois, your English is by far better than my French. Yes.

my english might be not too bad, but my french ... hum hum

as you know it's my born language, well, learned, home, school, and then street, and life goes on ..

when I read a book, sometime there are some words far from me and it takes me a little while to remember the meaning ...

I don't know, but I quite never speak french... mostly english,

because all my friends are from english speaking language countries, and not so many french  :o

it doesn't matter, I am not here for them anyway.

hey, by the way ...

we are leaving the thread talking about languages here  :D

am I a "bum"? ... don't think so, I do not drink!

but I am leaving from a small medical pension, and trying to make some more from my computer's skills  :cool:

so may be that I do meet taxexile requirements  B)

(Now, there's some small irony for Chonabot).

:o  Next time I'm in Isaan we should share some Lao Kao!

Fine idea! You provide the grog, I'll provide the mixers to make it drinkable (i.e. lemon and honey). Wouldn't be in A. Chonabot you reside by any chance, Chonabot?

The irony reference goes back to which thread you were bemoaning the lack of such on this forum? I know your memory for such trivia beats mine hands down. By the way, I wonder how long the queues will be when the PM's daughter is working on the minimum wage at the burger chain who'll remain anonymous these hols? Makes a mockery of "fast food" as it is. In my book people who frequent those places are "bums".

Many of you have fleetingly implied that to be a "bum" may mean nothing more than having too much time on your hands.  
personally, i dont think that having too much free time is a bad thing.if someone does not have to work,or does not want to work a lot in order to amass a fortune,and is content and able to live within their income,then fine.

He was a bum. Happy with his lot,

this guy sounds like a jovial eccentric,happy with his lot,probably not interfering with anybody else.no problem.

Pete the Issan Farm dweller for example, makes the point about living out in the bush with the people he loves and respects and who, one assumes, love and respect him for what he has made possible for them.

In my very small village we are liked, I suppose respected because we are able to bring things to the village which they wouldn't have otherwise had.

My wife teaches the kids and the women to use English, I have a small company about 20 kms away, which I spend about 4 hours per day at. We have enough money to pay for our boys' meds and to have a decent meal on the table. We don't have a car, but a little honda dream which does just what I want it to do, get me to town. And overall I think of myself as lucky.

If I apply the blanket generalisations which have been surfacing here and there in this forum, I would be, I think, a bum. I don't see myself like that and neither do my friends, all of whom, with 2 exceptions, are Thai.

sounds like a fulfilled life,integrating happily within the community.
What is a bum? Long hair? Short hair? Leasure wear and flip flops? Everything at the right time at a right place. Take a former landlord of an apprtmt where I lived, he looked a bit like a bum .

haircuts and shoe choice do not a bum make.

taxexile .... do you really mean waht you write here?

I could agree with this antisocial behaviour, which is a fact in so many countries  

but definitely, I can't agree with the background ...

I just feel that you really don't like people you call losers,

did you have any bad experience concerning this side of life?

I wonder, because, it smells untolerance ...

my intolerance is for the antisocial behaviour that i see.

a loser,i.e. one who cannot make it in this world,one who has tried and failed.i can only wish them better luck next time.

the guys who spend all their time in the bars,the pussy chasers,mr. soapy and mr.oily,well, why not.if i were not happily married i might join you.

farmer giles up in issarn,with his wife and kids living on 5k,10k,15k,whatever a month. sounds like a good life.

the retiree,or rich young whizz kid,doing nothing much,fine.

enjoy your free time.

but the falang who is constantly drunk,mouthing off about his wife and her brother,or his girlfriend,or his last lousy shag,the aggressive drunk,the loud and the ill-mannered,the ones who always seem to be looking for a fight,for trouble.the yobs.the people who think that the world owes them a living,always slagging off the thais and thailand,the characters who make no effort to integrate or understand the culture here,the westerners who behave with the aggressiveness that is the normal for back home,but out of order here.they may be rich or they may be poor,they may dress smart or they may dress scruffily.they may be on 50k a month or 5k a month. the demanding and ill-mannered tourist expecting perfect english and perfect cheeseburgers wherever they go.

they are bums.

they are bums in their home countries.

they are bums here.

they were bums yesterday

and they will be bums tomorrow.

and in all probability their offspring will be bums too.

bums,lowlifes,scum,yobs,scroungers,no marks, call them what you will.

i dont like them,i cant tolerate them,i wish they would disappear.NOW.

and if any of the above mentioned types would like to join in this forum, please do.