Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

3. 174

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

4. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

5. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

6. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

7. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

8. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

9. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

11. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

12. 2

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

Moving To Chiang Mai, Should I Bring The Vfr?

Well i am officially a student now, in my quest to understand thai culture and the language. But after riding around CM i am seriously wondering if i should bring my street bike. With the GF aboard navigating traffic was more work than i enjoyed, and the heat of sitting there made me feel like a sausage. Granted the majority of my riding expirience is limited to open roads and rural communities so its new to me.

What are your thoughts?

I am moving in august to start school in September.

sorry to be off topic and i cant help you with CM but can you tell me where you bought the VFR and how you regsitered it here in thailand. thats just the bike i want and but cant find a 'reputable" one [dealer OR bike]anywhere...big bikes in thailand seem like a difficult propostion. can anyone help??

sorry to be off topic and i cant help you with CM but can you tell me where you bought the VFR and how you regsitered it here in thailand. thats just the bike i want and but cant find a 'reputable" one [dealer OR bike]anywhere...big bikes in thailand seem like a difficult propostion. can anyone help??

well i bought mine from a British gentleman in BKK. But if its a VFR400 your looking for my mechanic knows of several that are in the 20000 to 60000 price range in chiang rai. PM me and i will shoot you his info. really nice guy who has done a fantastic job fixing my bike on occasion.

Well i am officially a student now, in my quest to understand thai culture and the language. But after riding around CM i am seriously wondering if i should bring my street bike. With the GF aboard navigating traffic was more work than i enjoyed, and the heat of sitting there made me feel like a sausage. Granted the majority of my riding expirience is limited to open roads and rural communities so its new to me.

What are your thoughts?

Bring the bike.... The motorcycling outside of the city is outstanding. Once you live in CM for a while, you will find routes that have in the city that have less traffic. Get a copy of the Big Map as its called and you can usually find faster roads. Like zzinged said, try to find a scooter to use as a transporter for the in-city trips.

What are your thoughts?

you are coming to one of the best areas anywhere for riding a bike, get out of town and enjoy. :)

Its always nice to have a bike like a VFR, but its also useful to have a sensible small Thai bike like a Wave/Mio/etc to do shopping, run out for things you need, etc. That basket at the front is dead handy, no matter how uncool it is. Buy a small (2nd hand?) bike to complement the vfr? Maybe for the gf? You should be able to get something for around 10k 2nd hand, or maybe 15k for a 2nd hand Mio? The 2stroke small bikes are absolute bargains (Nova/BelleR/etc); around 5k, and dead reliable/easy to fix. Make sure you get something common so parts are easy to get.