thaimate

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

name='brasso' date='2009-07-23 11:51:25' post='2890209']

why if some one does not like pattaya do people think you are jelous, i never understand the thinking behind it, good luck to all that live in the dump we all know the real reason that you and others like you live there

Good post,

but some people did come here for work reasons, through no choice of ther own.

but very few.

most come for the sex.

The truth always get lost in the bullshit in the pattaya section.

:)

Although most of us originally came for the ladies,i know i did 20 years ago as a single guy.when the wife and i decided to come to live in Thailand permanently ,there was a choice ,B.K.K. where i had an office ,to noisy and dirty ,Roiet my wifes home town ,to dead , phucket ,to far from familly and friends ,Pattaya ,on the outskirts . perfect ,all the modern convieniences,beaches ,good schools ,good medical care , near to Bkk .

so no not all of us come here for the sex ,although if thats what you want ,thats here as well.

so what gets lost in the bullshit in the Pattaya section?

why if some one does not like pattaya do people think you are jelous, i never understand the thinking behind it, good luck to all that live in the dump we all know the real reason that you and others like you live there

"you and others like you"

Be careful you do not fall off that high horse.

Dream on........reality is hard to swallow sometimes.

Still yearning for the old Pattaya as it was when you first came here decades ago?

Actually, pre-2000 would be great......but that is not going to happen and neither is your false dream. As I said, reality is hard to swallow sometimes.

Well I first came to Pattaya more than twenty years ago and believe me it is infinitely better today.

I think the big problem for many farangs is that Thailand is no longer that cheap compared to their home countries.

You cannot come to Thailand anymore on an average western salary and live like a king that is a fact.

Thailand has a higher standard of living now and expectations and much greater for many Thais.

It is all for the better imho

Good post,

but very few.

most come for the sex.

Although most of us originally came for the ladies,i know i did 20 years ago as a single guy.when the wife and i decided to come to live in Thailand permanently ,there was a choice ,B.K.K. where i had an office ,to noisy and dirty ,Roiet my wifes home town ,to dead , phucket ,to far from familly and friends ,Pattaya ,on the outskirts . perfect ,all the modern convieniences,beaches ,good schools ,good medical care , near to Bkk .

so no not all of us come here for the sex ,although if thats what you want ,thats here as well.

so what gets lost in the bullshit in the Pattaya section?

I can say that I ve lived in Pattaya sub. for more than a year...not because of sex (..in my opinion....so dirty make me feel "monk").

Due to the convenience of services, Pattaya became my travel-hub. I travelled around the Asia Pacific & South Asia....using Pattaya as travel hub / personal deposit.. .

During my days in Pattaya, I had a lot of things to do. Of course nightlife is amazing and funny too. I shared my privacy with some thai girls too, but this were not my "core-business" !!

Obviously..Pattaya is recognized as Funny-sex oriented City ....most of the visitors recognize themselves in this label...but not all of them

Good post,

but very few.

most come for the sex.

True. But why does brasso chose to post so many responses in a thread that's asking 'what's the attraction?' if after his first post, he clearly is not attracted to the place?

And we all know that YOU were here for work. 'nuf said!

Well I first came to Pattaya more than twenty years ago and believe me it is infinitely better today.

I think the big problem for many farangs is that Thailand is no longer that cheap compared to their home countries.

You cannot come to Thailand anymore on an average western salary and live like a king that is a fact.

Thailand has a higher standard of living now and expectations and much greater for many Thais.

Well maybe not like a king, but certainly a prince. Let's take an average american salary as 2000 US a month, though this is probably way too low.

That is about 70000 Baht a month. Even in Bangkok you can do well on that.

In Pattaya it would get you a one bedroom in View Talay easily. And you could party and eat western almost every day if you wanted.

Keep in mind that 20 years ago there may have been less choice of western goods as well.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Well maybe not like a king, but certainly a prince. Let's take an average american salary as 2000 US a month - that is probably way low.

In Pattaya it would get you a one bedroom in View Talay easily. And you could party and eat western almost every day if you wanted.

Keep in mind that 20 years ago there may have been less choice of western goods as well.

Current average social security check is about US$1040 per month........hard to make it on that. Pattaya-Jomtien is a retirement place mostly. It used to be fairly easy to live off of a small pension........now it is not.

Many things were better in the past (80s and 90s):

cost of living was less in real terms,

crime was not an issue,

visas were not an issue,

xenophobia was nowhere to be found,

no traffic jams,

no parking problems,

less people pollution,

much less stressful environment,

nicer class of farangs

Jomtien Beach still had the beautiful shade trees

the real estate hounds were nowhere to be found

Everything just seemed more relaxed and easy and fun. Even the Thais seemed much nicer back then.

I think a lot of people will agree with what I just said.

Pattaya, like so many other resorts, had a Golden Period, not too much development but just enough to feel like you were still in the exotic East but with some Western facilities....that was the 80s-90s.

It was a fun time.........that period has gone and will likely never return.

True. But why does brasso chose to post so many responses in a thread that's asking 'what's the attraction?' if after his first post, he clearly is not attracted to the place?

I would suggest that brasso was looking down his nose at Pattaya LONG before his first post on this thread. Perhaps he should use a more appropriate home for his thoughts i.e. a new topic "the things I hate about Pattaya".

^^^ Yup, 20 years ago there was Spinney's at the bottom of Soi Postoffice and Goldentex up on Soi Yodsak and that was your lot for farang victuals. So today's choices are an improvement.

Edited by NanLaew

Well maybe not like a king, but certainly a prince. Let's take an average american salary as 2000 US a month - that is probably way low.

Current average social security check is about US$1040 per month........hard to make it on that. Pattaya-Jomtien is a retirement place mostly. It used to be fairly easy to live off of a small pension........now it is not.

crime was not an issue,

visas were not an issue,

no traffic jams,

no parking problems,

less people pollution,

nicer class of farangs

Everything just seemed more relaxed and easy and fun. Even the Thais seemed much nicer back then.

Pattaya, like so many other resorts, had a Golden Period, not too much development but just enough to feel like you were still in the exotic East but with some Western facilities....that was the 80s-90s.

Ah so now we are interpreting average western salary to mean retirement pension!

Wow.

Well 1000 is still more than 35,000 baht.

English teachers in Bangkok make about 30,000. That is hard but in Pattaya it is doable and you could still party every weekend at least. And as it is your pension(US social security) it would presumably never run out.

And if you were to top it off with some part time work as many do you could live very well indeed.

Still yearning for the old Pattaya as it was when you first came here decades ago?

Actually, pre-2000 would be great......but that is not going to happen and neither is your false dream. As I said, reality is hard to swallow sometimes.

What is this "false dream" you claim I have? What is the hard reality I should swallow.

I came to Pattaya in 2005. I liked it and stayed. I'm not dreaming of anything at all.

You're the one who needs to swallow the harsh reality that nothing remains the same and the pre-2000 years are gone forever. I don't have that problem because I'm happy with the way things are right now.

What is this "false dream" you claim I have? What is the hard reality I should swallow.

I came to Pattaya in 2005. I liked it and stayed. I'm not dreaming of anything at all.

You're the one who needs to swallow the harsh reality that nothing remains the same and the pre-2000 years are gone forever. I don't have that problem because I'm happy with the way things are right now.

Forgot.........your life is perfect...........you live in a paradise.........you are right in all things......you are extremely happy.........nothing is wrong with Pattaya.........history is worthless.......people who have lived here for decades don't know anything about the changes that have taken place........any person who complains is obviously jealous.........strange though, anger seems to fill many of your posts.

Forgot.........your life is perfect...........you live in a paradise.........you are right in all things......you are extremely happy.........nothing is wrong with Pattaya.........history is worthless.......people who have lived here for decades don't know anything about the changes that have taken place........any person who complains is obviously jealous.........strange though, anger seems to fill many of your posts.

Dude......... there's no need for you to waffle on and on in provocative sarcasm when all I did was ask you to explain two comments you made.

I'll ask again, please explain:

1. What is the "false dream" you claim I'm dreaming?

2. What is the harsh reality you say I must swallow?

Edited by tropo

crime was not an issue,

visas were not an issue,

no traffic jams,

no parking problems,

less people pollution,

nicer class of farangs

And we do not want that "period" to return. Today's Pattaya has so much more to offer than before and is still relatively priced for the average falang.

crime was not an issue,

visas were not an issue,

no traffic jams,

no parking problems,

less people pollution,

nicer class of farangs

And we do not want that "period" to return. Today's Pattaya has so much more to offer than before and is still relatively priced for the average falang.

Tourists are not flocking there (in large part because it is no longer a bargain), concrete condos are way too empty, development projects are being canceled, shops are closing, people are being fired, crime is way up, and growing numbers of long-stay expats are wanting out (many have already left). Good luck with your fantasy.

...its the same the world over at the moment ...RECESSION is hitting everywhere in the world not just pattaya...all those things u mentioned are happening the world over no matter where you are it cannot be escaped ....

Well maybe not like a king, but certainly a prince. Let's take an average american salary as 2000 US a month, though this is probably way too low.

70k baht a month does not have you living like a king or even a prince in my books.

Got a friend in View Talay and he pays 17k a month for rent and he lives on about 80k a month and he goes out three or four nights a week and he never takes women. He does play golf so he has some extra costs there but I don't think you can party hard every night on 70k a month.

I expect to live at least as well as I would at home and that means living in a house with say two bedrooms and having my own car to get around and about.

I would also need medical insurance and enough money to go out at least 3 or 4 nights a week and to be able to get away overseas for at least a month a year.

I think 100k a month is right but again i would say this is not a luxury lifestyle but the minimum that i would want.

70k baht a month does not have you living like a king or even a prince in my books.

Got a friend in View Talay and he pays 17k a month for rent and he lives on about 80k a month and he goes out three or four nights a week and he never takes women. He does play golf so he has some extra costs there but I don't think you can party hard every night on 70k a month.

I expect to live at least as well as I would at home and that means living in a house with say two bedrooms and having my own car to get around and about.

I would also need medical insurance and enough money to go out at least 3 or 4 nights a week and to be able to get away overseas for at least a month a year.

I think 100k a month is right but again i would say this is not a luxury lifestyle but the minimum that i would want.

I'd certainly think 70k a month would be enough to live like a king!

I guess it all depends on your priorities ie. GoGo girls every night or Beach Road lady once a week.

When I eventually move over, my budget will be 15k a month, and I'll be living far better than back in the "home country".

...its the same the world over at the moment ...RECESSION is hitting everywhere in the world not just pattaya...all those things u mentioned are happening the world over no matter where you are it cannot be escaped ....

That is not quite true and it has been discussed many times already. Other places that are better known (as top tourists destinations) are still doing well (e.g., Bali).

The Philippines and Vietnam seem to have lots of tourists right now.

The fact is undeniable: Thailand made some serious mistakes related to tourism......and the mistakes I am thinking about had nothing to do with the downturn in the global economy or Swine Flu.

By way of review, here are some of those mistakes:

engaging in a social engineering program (using the immigration system to do it),

closing the international airport to travel,

disrupting a major international meeting in Pattaya,

reds vs yellows and violence in the streets,

unexplained deaths of tourists

raising prices without improving the quality of services (Thailand is no longer seen as a bargain destination)

Someone must be dreaming. I don't know about Vietnam, but the Philippines never has "lots of tourists" and right now tourist numbers there are lower than low.

As others said, the location as a transport hub was the "deal-breaker" for me - as a suburb of Bangkok and the airport it is really excellent.

When I first came to Pattya as a tourist I hated it, but I never left 2nd/Walking/Beach roads.

Someone must be dreaming. I don't know about Vietnam, but the Philippines never has "lots of tourists" and right now tourist numbers there are lower than low.

Everywhere I have been I have seen a drop in tourists, even here in London

Where I work (Heathrow) there are empty aircraft stands, the terminals are no where as busy as they were a year ago, quite a few shops have laid off staff, some shops have put up the shutters

Terminal 4 is a ghost terminal

Rumour has it BA is mothballing some of its aircraft

BUT all this makes for some great holiday packages out there, and everywhere is discounting heavily, strangely enough not in Thailand, they seem to have increased hotel prices, flights arent any cheaper either

This seems to be most people's experience. :)

This seems to be most people's experience. :)

Most people also thought the earth was flat at one time.

Since you did not get my point, let me try a second time from a different angle: The relative decline in tourists numbers is greater in Thailand than in many other countries in the region.

People, including the government, have reported good tourism numbers in Bali, largely due to an influx of Italian tourists (most likely tourists who have shunned Thailand).

Yes, the numbers are down, but not anything like Thailand's decline.

Other people--living in Vietnam and the Philippines--have reported lots of tourists there now.

Yes, tourism has declined virtually everywhere.......but the decline is much greater in Thailand.

Other countries are doing better because they have made their system "tourism/expat friendly."

Thailand continues to make bad decisions with regard to both tourists and expats.