Pattaya Whats The Attraction ?

thaimate

i was talking with the thai manager at the apartment the other day (an extremely intelligent fellow) and his comment to me which

really took me off-guard was an honest admission that some of the city's worst problems were caused by this growing contingent

of "bad locals". criminals running away from their home province to hide in pattaya. and unlike foreigners they often don't show any

identification when paying for rooms. stealing from other thais, snatching gold, thieving motorbikes. and all the more apparent as the

tourist numbers have dwindled to nothing. he's been here 20 years so i took that as unusually candid, honest assessment on his part.

I have always considered pattaya as the criminal sentencing camp of Thailand.Everything they don't want somewhere else they send to pattaya.This counts for thais as well as foreigners in my opinion.

Both Cali and Basjke are, in large part, right on target. Many of us who lived in Pattaya-Jomtien since the 80s (some much earlier) know, for a fact, that crime has increased dramatically--especially Thai against foreigners. I never even considered it to be an issue the two decades I lived in the area. Now I am a visitor......and the visits keep getting less and less pleasant.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

for all the topic on pattaya dirty beaches poor planing lack off water in places better places can be found elsewhere just as cheap what keeps people there is just sex plain and simple, before any off you go on about another pattaya knocker, think about ,it to those that think different take off the rose titned specs, as for one post about a six year old shows how stupid you are as she does not understand what all the thai girls ars doing in the bars ,when she grows she will see a different pattaya where girls sell there bodies to dirty old men

I assume from your post Brasso that the only parts of Pattaya,(like many tourists who come here) that you have ever visited are beach road and walking street ,

Some posts have been deleted from this thread.

Members are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Forum Rules and number 18 in particular:

Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.

Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

Here's a classic example: This morning I dragged my lazy carcass over to the gym to get a little exercise. So, I leave,

feeling in a good mood and happy to start my day. What's the 1st thing I hear from some skanky bar-girl still looking

for a customer from last night "farang, why you no smile? you no happy?" standard gutter talk designed to agitate or

elicit a response and the reason nice folks don't stay here very long. The only response: "I don't want ladyman" (he-he)

it's just attitudes that have changed so much? one minute you meet an impossibly nice thai who is friendly and nice and

the next minute you're dealing with childish insults from someone who is just trying to get a rise out of you? this is pattaya

"farang, why you no smile? you no happy?"

To be frank about all this, in Pattaya, to be "happy" whatever that is, you have to become good at FILTERING. Filtering out the crap, as it were. Constantly. Ignoring it. Going zombie as needed on a dime. It works for me and I notice it works for a lot of Thais. I happen to be good at that. There is no way that stupid banter from an idiot prostitute would ruin my day, it wouldn't even register.

I see this as a similar thing that happens to New Yorkers. They develop thick skins and on the surface are rude, they have to be to survive and stay sort of sane, but many of them are great people if you are invited into their world. My friends back in the US noticed that I had become RUDER after living in Pattaya and I think they are right. Again, Pattaya is not for everyone ... It is certainly not for hayseeds who want peace and quiet and love going to church. I still like it but I suppose it either changes you, or you leave. If Pattaya is not for you, please accept that warts and all, and sometimes it seems like it is all warts, just because you don't like it or think it is Sodom and Gomorrah, it doesn't mean that there aren't benefits here for people who do, so get a life and diss your own town or city. For example, I choose never to live in Bangkok or Phuket or even Chiang Mai (which is my favorite but the air is too dirty), but I see the great attractions and I would never think to diss the people that do choose to live there.

Edited by Jingthing

well, we all deal with the pain our own way (he-he) call me juvenile (and you would be correct) but i just insult them right back

and if that doesn't shut them up i'll go back every day for a week and do the same thing. works for me, they usually leave me

alone. much like the tailor sales men. if they start moving towards me, i straight-arm them and they get a facefull of hand (he-he)

but you're absolutely correct. if you stay here, you find yourself getting much harsher to survive. and it's not all good is it?

it's like animals surveying each other on the african plain. constantly looking for weaknesses. and who wants to live that way?

Here's a classic example: This morning I dragged my lazy carcass over to the gym to get a little exercise. So, I leave,

feeling in a good mood and happy to start my day. What's the 1st thing I hear from some skanky bar-girl still looking

for a customer from last night "farang, why you no smile? you no happy?" standard gutter talk designed to agitate or

elicit a response and the reason nice folks don't stay here very long. The only response: "I don't want ladyman" (he-he)

it's just attitudes that have changed so much? one minute you meet an impossibly nice thai who is friendly and nice and

the next minute you're dealing with childish insults from someone who is just trying to get a rise out of you? this is pattaya

To be frank about all this, in Pattaya, to be "happy" whatever that is, you have to become good at FILTERING. Filtering out the crap, as it were. Constantly. Ignoring it. Going zombie as needed on a dime. It works for me and I notice it works for a lot of Thais. I happen to be good at that. There is no way that stupid banter from an idiot prostitute would ruin my day, it wouldn't even register.

If Pattaya is not for you, please accept that warts and all, and sometimes it seems like it is all warts, just because you don't like it or think it is Sodom and Gomorrah, it doesn't mean that there aren't benefits here for people who do, so get a life and diss your own town or city.

Nope. I can't see where this girls greeting was in any way insulting or construed to 'get a rise' out of anyone. What was the offensive bit? Her appearance? Calling you farang and not hansum man? Maybe you passed on a 'happy time' with someone pretty cool. Maybe she just won the lottery and wanted to cheer you up? Maybe some LDOP had paid her megabaht for her services and she was fixin' to have an even better day than you?

There's those that bleat about the tailor touts with the fake cockney or Aussie accents or the irritating ladyboy screech. There's others that can't stand the "You! You! Where you go?" from the motorcycle-taxi robbers or the beep-beep and kerb-crawling stalk of their 4-wheeled brothers.

Jing is right... you filter that sh!t out... or I suppose you can post on TV and get it off your chest.

Now, about these warts....

Some posts have been deleted from this thread.

Members are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the Forum Rules and number 18 in particular:

Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.

Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

Sorry you had to spend your time filtering out those who refuse to follow the rules, Jay Dee. They ruin most of the threads that can become controversial. Other than that I agree pretty much with the other replies here. Pattaya HAS changed in the past 12 years I've been going there. But, that is to be expected. Everywhere in the world changes and usually not for the better. I don't choose to live in Pattaya because I prefer Chiang Mai, but I do have a time share in Jomptien that I use annually.

Most of the obvious reasons to visit Pattaya have already been mentioned, but I still don't see it as a place for children. Yes, there are a few good spots, but there are better places when you have a choice. However, I commend the person who brings their 6 year old for a short holiday. Every exposure to the realities of life is a valuable experience for children... just so long as they don't have to live it.

I've seen hotel prices double in the time I've been coming to Pattaya, and many of the former cheap places to eat have either disappeared or gone upscale, but a little searching will still find a good deal.

Most big cities in the world have their crime and slum areas. Even Vancouver BC (Canada) can be more dangerous than Pattaya, and Vancouver was/is noted for being one of the greatest places to live in the world.

Pattaya (and Thailand to a somewhat lesser degree) is "options" -- its all here and its all available -- take your choice. But the options also comes with some personal responsibility -- you need to be fairly well grounded and know what to do and what not to do -- no one is going to tell you "no". And a fair bit of realism is also helpful -- the pretty young 25 year old isn't madly in love with her 50+ year old b/f because he has a striking resemblance to Tom Cruise (really!). Pattaya can be a wonderful place to live or it can ruin (or even worse kill) you. How you live -- at home with the family or our in the bars drunk with a different woman every night -- is entirely your choice (provided you can pay for it), as it should be every where. Pattaya, to the short term tourists, is a "fantacy". But after you live here awhile, you see all of the dirt under the carpet, and the mess in the closet. It is all here, the good, the bad and the ugly. But of all of the places I have lived or spent significant amounts of time, Pattaya is way ahead of the rest (except Bangkok, which is a close second). I think that Doggie888888 summed up Pattaya pretty well in his first post in this thread. And except for the tourists and the people that feed off of them, which are getting worse, Pattaya is getting better. You can pity those that are in trouble and envy those that find true happiness here, but in every case, leave them alone -- what they do (so long as they don't harm you) is none of your business. Pattaya is large enough to avoid any of its many facets you may find personally offensive. So, here's to Pattaya -- the smorgasboard of life!

for all the topic on pattaya dirty beaches poor planing lack off water in places better places can be found elsewhere just as cheap what keeps people there is just sex plain and simple, before any off you go on about another pattaya knocker, think about ,it to those that think different take off the rose titned specs, as for one post about a six year old shows how stupid you are as she does not understand what all the thai girls ars doing in the bars ,when she grows she will see a different pattaya where girls sell there bodies to dirty old men

I have seen some very clean old men.... and young ones for that matter.

Still, some sanctimonious b4stard had to come out of the woodwork at some point on this thread - it just happened to be one who also can't spell. I bet the 6 year old can differentiate between their and there and of and off ! :):D I will put "titned" down to typing error rather than grammatical ignorance.

is that all you do with your time point out spelling what a sad person you must be

Dude, you are way too sensitive. Either you should have left long ago, or never come here in the first place.

You need to find a sterile existance somewhere else.

I assume from your post Brasso that the only parts of Pattaya,(like many tourists who come here) that you have ever visited are beach road and walking street ,

no have been many places in pattaya, like you yes a tourist once but did not like pattaya

no have been many places in pattaya, like you yes a tourist once but did not like pattaya

Judging by the "dirty old men" comment, it would seem you haven't been here at all. Such a comment would be fairly accurate of a place like Angeles City, but there are a huge number of young punters in Pattaya.

Good to see this topic is running true to form.......downhill fast! :)

Get rid of the posters who have a vested interest in the real estate market (those with the Rose-colored glasses) and things would probably be more balanced and civil. They refuse to see any negative reality and take offense that any person might actually point out something negative about the place.

Good to see this topic is running true to form.......downhill fast! :)

Get rid of the posters who have a vested interest in the real estate market (those with the Rose-colored glasses) and things would probably be more balanced and civil. They refuse to see any negative reality and take offense that any person might actually point out something negative about the place.

Maybe some don't have vested interests but instead have invested in the local real estate market and realise now, after they take the sunglasses off (rose tint optional), that this just isn't the idyllic beach paradise they first thought it was and can't get out of it without losing more money? As my ex-wife used to say, "Sorry about that, sometimes have to be like that."

No vested interests for me; sold up in sin city years ago and already commented that it's not the same, fun place it used to be. I mentioned some of the negatives that affect most residents and visitors alike without referring in depth to 'that what can't be mentioned here' which to me (and probably most of those who chose to live here), is well below our radar anyway. However, some will still persist in calling it worse than a sewer between moralistic rants about certain activities that are carried out by a minority of people in relatively small part of town and consumes less business hours than the airtime it's given.

I accept that everyone has their own opinion, it's just some chose to paint the whole city with the same broad brush and that does need some defending. Especially from those who probably hardly know the place with opinions based purely on the negative media and the odd anecdotal tale.

What i do not understand is ,if you have been all over Pattaya and dont like it,why do you 1/ read and 2/ post on a Pattaya website ? i would have thaught something a little more genteel would have been your cup of tea.

boys and girls, to answer a question posed earlier in this thread, it will remain open as long as you can keep it civil.

In case you are interested in statistics we have so far one flame removed and one report under consideration. A little more and we close it. Your choice :)

I moved from Phuket to Pattaya-Jomtien a few months ago because I started a new job and my US employer had offices in the town. I can say that the only thing that keeps me in Pattaya is my job. I know that I will probably get flamed by some members for saying this, but the town is the absolute gutter of the universe :)

I lived in Phuket (not Patong) for several years, and the change from a small village environment to Pattaya is obviously huge. As soon as I have saved some money from my job then I will be relocating to somewhere more 'normal' in Thailand.

Sorry - Pattaya is not my cup of tea :D

Simon

I lived 20k from Pattaya for the last 5 years, I made my way over there maybe 7 or 8 times a year.

The attraction for some is obvious, but if your happily married and not into the bar scene, Pattaya hasn't much appeal.

I was always happy to get back on Sukhamvit and head for home.

My humble point from someone who now only visits the city: From the moment we arrive, we're taught to try and learn something

of Thai culture, paramount in this, the "concept of face". Trying to be considerate of others, not cause stress, go with the flow, etc.,

so why are we making exceptions, i.e. "filtering" with these small bands of obnoxious touts who openly insult folks, seem to have

no purpose throughout their day except to make a quick sale (nothing wrong with that) but doing so in such an offensive manner

(and this is not normal behaviour in tourist cities throughout the world, only here) and of course it's all a moot point isn't it?

For many reasons, the tourism industry has been nearly destroyed and doesn't look likely to recover any time soon if ever. And it

has changed over the years. Some of these touts are not even Thai citizens? Ignoring their hostile tactics only perpetuates the

cycle of inappropriate manners. Yes, Pattaya is not Thailand but what goes on here now is no longer even the Pattaya of old? It's

just rude beyond any description? Sure, you can stomach in for short periods but I for one don't tolerate any of their nonsense. :)

Good to see this topic is running true to form.......downhill fast! :D

Great post, thats been my point about the pattaya section of thivisa for a long time.

well said. :)

Patters is the jewel of Thailand. Unfortunately as Simon said it isnt for him.. doesnt make it a bad place because some people just can't handle it. :)

Brit have you had one to many again in the Hi Boss bar, :D

that was a very large typo error

Think you meant to say, Cesspool of Thailand.

I love pattaya for what it is.

Sin City.

Edit due to spooling mistakes :D

Edited by plasticpig