Chiang Mai Pedestrian Crossing ... Conspiracy Theory

freddy123

Just out of interest, does anyone know if the pedestrian crossings here are sponsered by the local hospitals? I imagine they would bring in a fair amount of farang travel insurance money over the years. They really are great little death traps for fresh of the plane tourists.

I myself have had a few close calls when they just suddenly step out in front of the bike. I know you probably should stop but after a couple of months here riding the bike here I tend to ride like a local.

Anyone shed some light on this? Anyone ever hit a farang at a pedestrian crossing?

Anyone shed some light on this? Anyone ever hit a farang at a pedestrian crossing?

:):D:D

The answer is yes, I have, but he wasn't in a cross walk. And, I only clipped the drunk farang's foot. Fortunately, the Thai woman he was trying to pull across the street shook her hand free as I went between them.

It really IS a game of cat and mouse crossing the street in Thailand. I tend to do it at home after coming back from Thailand. I'm lucky I don't get a jaywalking ticket. Fortunately, we don't have street police where I live and the cops are usually in the donut shop or setting up speed traps somewhere.

Anyone ever hit a farang at a pedestrian crossing?

A few close calls but mainly due to that silly western reflex action of going for the brake when you see someone stepping out onto the crossing. A quick look in the mirror confirms that the Vigo behind you has no intention of stopping and will likely shunt you over the poor unfortunate pedestrian so back on the gas to get everyone out of harm's way.

The false sense of security provided at crossings is lethal, especially coupled with the inverse meaning of flashing headlights over here.

Crossing outside Central: "Oh good, there's a crossing..... It's OK - that guy's seen us, he's flashing his headlights." Next thing you know you're up at the zoo on the hood of a Fortuner driven by someone so small and in such a hurry they can't actually see the folks pinned to the bull bars.

When/if the tourists ever return to their old pattern, Bangkok, CM, then south, expect the crosswalks to become roadkill zones here. Bangkok is supposed to enforce pedestrian right of way, thus tourists will be conditioned when they arrive here as having the right of way.(SUCKER) Crosswalks would be ideal places to set up a video camera and film the proceeding during the course of the day. Might be a real money maker if handled correctly.

ive come close to being knocked over on a crossing when i was fresh in LOS, i just stepped out thinking i had right of way, but ive learnt to cross when traffic is sparse, or far enough away so i can get across safely, otherwise if not, i employ the "one hand up and out, palm facing the traffic and staring at the drivers at the same time, cross and walk " that i learnt from my gf's neice

when behind the wheel, i dont stop unless theyre on the crossing, and like most other drivers,drive off as soon as i have room to get past, even if the pedestrian isnt off the crossing :)

ps soi dogs are tricky still, some remain lying on the street playing chicken

The best one has to be the traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing on Suthep Road, right next to Suan Dok Hospital. Even with the lights on red, pedestrians half way across (some hobbling with nurses helping them), the traffic still speeds by.

The only one traffic seems to stop for is at Thapae Gate next to Black Canyon, the rest drivers just ignore. I was crossing at the one on Huay Kaew Road outside the 7-11 in front of CMU and a car almost took my nose off. It was so close that I managed to give it a good slap on its way past and the driver actually stopped further down the road. Instead of walking back to me to see what happened, he skipped off quickly to get some noodles.

I await the usual posts from CMTVers saying how good the driving is in our fair city...

Just out of interest, does anyone know if the pedestrian crossings here are sponsered by the local hospitals? I imagine they would bring in a fair amount of farang travel insurance money over the years. They really are great little death traps for fresh of the plane tourists.

I myself have had a few close calls when they just suddenly step out in front of the bike. I know you probably should stop but after a couple of months here riding the bike here I tend to ride like a local.

No, but I have been trying to line up a few.

People come to Chiang Mai and leave their brains (whatever they may have had) at home and walk on the roads, cross where they feel they want, and then feel that that have been hard done by when someone takes their feet out from under them.

If you wear a seat belt at home wear one here.

If you wear a safety helmet (not an egg shell) at home wear one here.

Why lower your standards just because you are in a 4th world country. It's your life after all.

If you haven't got the basic common survival sense, well, "som num naa"

Edited by john b good

Ok I'm not in CM but the seat belt thing amazes me. Everytime I get in 'brother in law's' car I instinctively put on the belt and get the 'mai pen rai' treatment. It's fun to watch him scrambling to put his belt on as we approach a police tea money check point but what really amazes me is that, once we have passed the BIB, he takes it off again. :)

The best one has to be the traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing on Suthep Road, right next to Suan Dok Hospital. Even with the lights on red, pedestrians half way across (some hobbling with nurses helping them), the traffic still speeds by.

The only one traffic seems to stop for is at Thapae Gate next to Black Canyon, the rest drivers just ignore. I was crossing at the one on Huay Kaew Road outside the 7-11 in front of CMU and a car almost took my nose off. It was so close that I managed to give it a good slap on its way past and the driver actually stopped further down the road. Instead of walking back to me to see what happened, he skipped off quickly to get some noodles.

I await the usual posts from CMTVers saying how good the driving is in our fair city...

im sure the driver of the yellow skip truck this weekend was avoiding a pedestrian and ended up in the drink~ a real hero IMO :)Traffic problems By the Moat

I read last week where a new Traffic Regulation has been enacted making it now an offence not to stop and give way to pedestrians who are on the crosswalk..fine set at 500 baht. Prior to this traffic was not obligated to come to a complete stop but just give way. (I consistently stop for those about to die and let them cross freely..but time after time a bike will come from behind and cut between me and the pedestrian..also nearly been hit up the rear by cars wondering why in the hel_l this farang has stopped at a cross-walk..methinks some years before it all filters down..ala the two farang that died crossing a busy BKK road with a red flag in hand and were hit by a not so quick front end loader.almost challenging the traffic to stop..take care..

Not to rise to defend Thailand, but...

Generally the well-lighted RED LIGHT crossings are fairly safe, or better than downtown BKK free-for-alls. Yes, the crossing on Suthep Road in front of Maharaj, from the ATM to the "French bakery" is rough, but most drivers stop.

My experience with them is, when the light is red, and I can see someone wants to pass, I stop and let them pass. When the crossing is empty, I go. As a driver, I like it. As a pedestrian, watch out! I think it is a bad idea to teach drivers to 'ignore' a red light, but the rules are different here it seems. Do the drivers act like this anywhere else?

Bicycling was my main mode of transportation in urban NYC for years, as it continues to be here in CM. Even when I take my "right a way" aggressively, I still take it with mindful caution.

I generally have found that a number of pedestrians, NYC especially, seem to think they always have the "right a way" whether they have it or not and practically walk with their eyes closed, so it's not just here in Thailand

edit: grammar

Edited by vagabond48

My experience with them is, when the light is red, and I can see someone wants to pass, I stop and let them pass. When the crossing is empty, I go. As a driver, I like it. As a pedestrian, watch out! I think it is a bad idea to teach drivers to 'ignore' a red light, but the rules are different here it seems. Do the drivers act like this anywhere else?

It seems, in my experience Ajarn, that stopping at red lights is only mandatory in western countries. I have travelled extensively in many less developed countries where one survives on the roads by assuming that red lights mean only stop if you really need to and green lights mean approach with extreme caution.

Anyone ever hit a farang at a pedestrian crossing?

No, but I've been known to whack a few in various establishments around town back in the 80's and 90's.

:)

Back to the topic...

Ya think this is bad, try Saigon. There you just close your eyes and walk..

I've seen some aliens try and cross near the Art Cafe and it's turn into quite the spectacle. I used to just go there to watch the show. Surprised I didn't see any take the hit.

ive come close to being knocked over on a crossing when i was fresh in LOS, i just stepped out thinking i had right of way, but ive learnt to cross when traffic is sparse, or far enough away so i can get across safely, otherwise if not, i employ the "one hand up and out, palm facing the traffic and staring at the drivers at the same time, cross and walk " that i learnt from my gf's neice

when behind the wheel, i dont stop unless theyre on the crossing, and like most other drivers,drive off as soon as i have room to get past, even if the pedestrian isnt off the crossing :D

ps soi dogs are tricky still, some remain lying on the street playing chicken

now theres an image i'd like to see, a dog playing chicken :)

Ya think this is bad, try Saigon. There you just close your eyes and walk..

I was there for nearly 10 days and riding my bicycle in the thick of traffic.

You just make your move :) and pray everyone around you agrees with your decision. :D

Edited by vagabond48

It seems, in my experience Ajarn, that stopping at red lights is only mandatory in western countries.

Two months ago, I drove to Vientiane. There, all drivers stop at red lights (which is quite confusing when you come from Chiang Mai :) )

Iwas once told that the Thais probably saw a pic of a pedestrian crossing in a book or something and had some white paint left over and thought they would put it to use, other than that i have no idea why they have them, the thais veiw them as target practice spots.! :)

Just out of interest, does anyone know if the pedestrian crossings here are sponsered by the local hospitals?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Freddy,

Yes, the hospitals are a major component of the consortium which constitutes the "Revenue Improvement for Hospitals" long-term economic-stimulus program in the Kingdom.

This initiative is a collaboration between the BOI (Board of Industry) which has brought on board a 100-million baht project for the manufacture of crosswalk signalling systems (for export as well as domestic use) located in Nakhon Pathom with a strong package of financial incentives. The company, a small division of a giant Japanese keiretsu whose name I should not mention for certain reasons also manufactures devices for de-stabilizing balconies often used in Pattaya, randomly breakable rungs for ladders, and other devices which have secret military purposes that they do not disclose but hint at. This small division is also famous for its strict adherence to the philosophy of "karoshi" management (meaning employees work themselves, literally, to death). < note : perhaps Khun Rasseru will kindly reply if I have mis-used these Japanese terms here >

Other sponsors include : The Thai Union of Doctors, the Thai Union of Nurses, The Thai Association of Hospital Administrators, and the Division of the Ministry of Health responsible for Birth Control and Population Planning. Other official Thai sponsors I dare not mention for certain reasons.

I personally was almost killed while crossing the crosswalk in front of the Suang Prung mental hospital (no, I wasn't going in as patient or therapist, just on my way to the Airport on foot).

Several times during my treatment for cancer at Sriphat Center in Maharaj Hospital on Thanon Suthep, I was almost killed in the crosswalk to the hospital : at the time I was in a weakened condition, but I actually did pound my fists on the songthaew and scream at the driver who just would not stop while I had the green light causing me to fall to the ground.

Evolution can be merciless : the weak must be culled. By adopting "Thai ways" you can also drive recklessly without guilt, and also accept your life is at risk using crosswalks without "jai rawn."

best, Bill

Well, the crosswalks with pedestrian-activated signals do have better lighting at night than the rest of the road. Makes you a better target at night, I guess. At least you'll be "in the right" and not jay-walking when you're hit in one of these zebra-zones. But, something tells me that as a westerner, I'd be expected to pay for the damage to the vehicle if I were hit while legally crossing the street, using a light at a cross-walk.

The situation in CM is exactly the opposite of the college town where we lived in the States. It seemed that pedestrian students had an absolute right to walk onto the street whenever and wherever they wanted, with about as much awareness as scared cows in Indian. Every so often one would get hit and there was always much outrage if the driver wasn't charged for hitting someone jay-walking on a dark night.

It seems, in my experience Ajarn, that stopping at red lights is only mandatory in western countries.

Two months ago, I drove to Vientiane. There, all drivers stop at red lights (which is quite confusing when you come from Chiang Mai :) )

These replies made me laugh. I know just what you mean. Twice I've been knocked down on my motorcycle for NOT going through a light that was red. I refuse to cut across 3 lanes of traffic to turn right through a light that just turned red. Unfortunately, the trucks following me thought I should have taken the chance. There are ALWAYS a few bikes that jump the light before it turns green and there is always a string of vehicles running the lights long after they've turned red. It's a bit of a crap shoot in either case. It pays not to be too close to the head of the line or too close to the rear.

Well, the crosswalks with pedestrian-activated signals do have better lighting at night than the rest of the road. Makes you a better target at night, I guess. At least you'll be "in the right" and not jay-walking when you're hit in one of these zebra-zones. But, something tells me that as a westerner, I'd be expected to pay for the damage to the vehicle if I were hit while legally crossing the street, using a light at a cross-walk.

The situation in CM is exactly the opposite of the college town where we lived in the States. It seemed that pedestrian students had an absolute right to walk onto the street whenever and wherever they wanted, with about as much awareness as scared cows in Indian. Every so often one would get hit and there was always much outrage if the driver wasn't charged for hitting someone jay-walking on a dark night.

I think the whole state of California gives those rights to any pedestrian, at any time.

From what I have seen people in Chiang Mai will stop at a pedestrian crossingbut only for stray dogs. In Suteph Rd I saw a soi dog try to cross the street. After a few unsuccesful tries it went back to the footpath and walked about 100 metres to the crossing sat and waited. A Thai pressed the button for it and when the lights stopped traffic actually stopped and it regally walked across.

From what I have seen people in Chiang Mai will stop at a pedestrian crossingbut only for stray dogs. In Suteph Rd I saw a soi dog try to cross the street. After a few unsuccesful tries it went back to the footpath and walked about 100 metres to the crossing sat and waited. A Thai pressed the button for it and when the lights stopped traffic actually stopped and it regally walked across.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Harry,

Ahh, but what you may not have seen (because it was carefully hidden from you) was the tv crew filming this for the same company whose name I dare not mention which promotes the distribution of these "trick" sidewalk crossing systems.

That was an actor, and a trained dog, and it was being filmed by a camera crew here in Chiang Mai for use in a future promotional campaign to be used to promote Thai tourism for the most duplicitous of motives : "fresh meat."

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Ahh, but what you may not have seen (because it was carefully hidden from you) was the tv crew filming this for the same company whose name I dare not mention which promotes the distribution of these "trick" sidewalk crossing systems.

That was an actor, and a trained dog, and it was being filmed by a camera crew here in Chiang Mai for use in a future promotional campaign to be used to promote Thai tourism for the most duplicitous of motives : "fresh meat."

best, ~o:37;

sawasdikrup koon Orang

or should we say apar kabar orang orang.

This can not be so....we all know that the totally honest advertising people would not allow such falshoods to be circulated.

I have witnessed a simular situation such as this with mine own eyes.

Back in my former life as a cop, we used to stop at a Circle K in the barrio late at night just to check on the clerk ( very high crime area ) One night the clerk told us of this dog that came every night at 0100 for a free hot dog ( well, of course it would be free, duh ) and would always cross at the traffic light, but waited until the light was correct for it. The clerk would give the pooch the hot dog, dog would eat it at the store and then sonder back home the same way, walk to the traffic signal, wait for the light and cross in the cross walk.

" Ah, bullshit" we told him. He told us to come back at 0050 and watch for ourselves.

We did.

No kiddin'..here comes this barrio dog strollin' down this busy street, stops at the corner, sits and waits. The light turns green for him and he crosses. ( in the crosswalk ) To the store he comes, gets his hot dog from the clerk, munches it in front of the store and then proceeds to head home the same way.

Stops at the light at the crosswalk, waits for the correct signal, crosses and heads home.

If I wouldn't have seen it, I wouldn't have believed it.

I reckon soi dogs are about the same as a barrio dog.

Smarter than the average drunk human being.

I wish I woulda had a camera.

I have witnessed a simular situation such as this with mine own eyes.

I reckon soi dogs are about the same as a barrio dog.

Smarter than the average drunk human being.

I wish I woulda had a camera.

I can believe it.

When I was a child in Vancouver BC we had an English pointer called Gunner. It took off in the late morning every day and disappeared until about 1:00 PM. We didn't learn the story about what was happening until one day we took the Gunner for a walk out to the university. We took a bus ride home and the bus driver told us the story.

It seems that our dog would go down to the corner and wait for the bus. It would get on with some people and get off at the army barracks located near the university. He would then go down to the mess hall where they were serving lunch where he would mooch a big meal before heading for home... catching the bus along the way. We always wondered why he wasn't hungry at supper time, but seemed to be getting fatter. True story.