Uk Swift Transfer

Hi guys,

My question is to all the UK expats here who use Swift transfers from the UK.

I sent a Swift transfer form to the Nationwide in the UK, I posted it on the 10th of July, it is now the 20th of July and the money is still in my UK account.

I sent them a message on the 17th asking was there a hold up for any reason (no reply yet).

Is it normally this long (10 days)

Hope you can help

Steve

I was informed by the Nationwide that I had to be present in a branch to transfer money via swift, they stated it could not be done any other way? Conversely the Abbey accepted a faxed swift form accompanied by copies of passport & UK driving licence!

I used to do it with Lloyds TSB, all over the phone up to 5000 pounds daily. It always took 2-3 working days to arrive. Sounds like you have a problem, as the previous poster says maybe Nationwide can't do it from mailed instructions.

Hi guys,

I sent a Swift transfer form to the Nationwide in the UK, I posted it on the 10th of July, it is now the 20th of July and the money is still in my UK account.

I sent them a message on the 17th asking was there a hold up for any reason (no reply yet).

Hope you can help

Steve

Did you post in the UK or Thailand ?

If UK, you have a problem as it should have been actioned by now.

If Thailand, then the post time-frame may mean that it has not yet been actioned.

A few comments:-

This is a terribly inefficient way to undertake a SWIFT transaction. If you are in the UK call at a branch.

Nationwide are archaic in that you cannot rtransact online.

Nationwide route through HSBC (adding a potential further delay).

I recommend Halifax - can do online and only GBP 9.50 charge.

EDIT - Just seen that you are in Nong Kai. You definately need to be able to transact online. Halifax is for you - put GBP 1,000 p.m. through the account and they give you a fiver every month :)

Edited by Chaimai

Hi guys,

Hope you can help

Steve

If Thailand, then the post time-frame may mean that it has not yet been actioned.

This is a terribly inefficient way to undertake a SWIFT transaction. If you are in the UK call at a branch.

EDIT - Just seen that you are in Nong Kai. You definately need to be able to transact online. Halifax is for you - put GBP 1,000 p.m. through the account and they give you a fiver every month :)

I transfer cash all the time by Swift from Nationwide International either on-line of by fax. The money often appears same, or next day in my Thai account

Hi guys,

Hope you can help

Steve

I transfer cash all the time by Swift from Nationwide International either on-line of by fax. The money often appears same, or next day in my Thai account

Hi Geoff,

Is the international transfer from a off shore account or from a Flex account, also, I only have an address on the form, no fax or on-line details, please feel free to pm me I would really like to clear this up soon.

Thanks to you other guys too.

Steve

Hi guys,

Hope you can help

Steve

Hi Geoff,

Is the international transfer from a off shore account or from a Flex account, also, I only have an address on the form, no fax or on-line details, please feel free to pm me I would really like to clear this up soon.

Thanks to you other guys too.

Steve

Please do not confuse Nationwide and Nationwide International. You cannot have a Flexaccount with Nationwide International - you must appear to be a UK resident to qualify for the Flexaccount. It is just that it is so long-winded to do SWIFT payments manually. You are, of course, able to use the online systems etc with Nationwide International.

I suspect many people are clinging on to the Flexaccount and whilst it has lost a little of it's edge (with the 0.84% VISA charge on ATM withdrawals) it is still the best UK card in my view.

If you have a UK address and a Thai address then I still recommend a Halifax account. I feed my Halifax account from Nationwide just for SWIFT transfers. If you cannot 'qualify' for this account (by satisfying Money Laundering Requirements) then you may have to consider the offshore NI account.

I did a SWIFT transfer last week on the 16th, HSBC to Kasikorn.

Online at 3 pm, when I checked my Kasi account first thing the next morning it was sitting there in my Thai account.

Great service and the only complaint I have is that HSBC have just put up the price of online transfers to 17 quid.

Online at 3 pm, when I checked my Kasi account first thing the next morning it was sitting there in my Thai account.

Great service and the only complaint I have is that HSBC have just put up the price of online transfers to 17 quid.

Can i ask how you set this up at the UK (HSBC) end?

I want the EXACT same thing. I have the Kasikorn account with online banking, and online banking facility on a bog standard HSBC account (not a Plus or Premiere) But i fail to see where i can activate the facility. Its not a "call into the brach" or telehone/fax instructions jobby, is it?

Also, i thought SWIFT transfers were dearer than 17 quid :) that they are not

Penkoprod

I am surprised to hear you say Nationwide will carry out a swift transfer without you being present.

I am a Thai resident, but have a Flexaccount as well as an e saver.

Nationwide will not allow me to carry out a swift transfer ( even by fax ) without my original signature.

I normally transfer the money to a friend who then carries out the transfer for me in the branch.

Normally arrives in 3 days.

Just on aside note.....A warning

Abbey will ( via Abbey Global ) but be very careful to specify you want pounds sterling sent.

2 years ago they exchanged my £ to Thai baht before sending at the most appalling rate and I lost 428,000 baht in the process. Despite my immeadiate complaint they flatly refused to refund the difference.

It took nearly 2 years for my complaint to be upheld by The Financial Ombudsmen and Abbey were forced to give it back. However due to the fall of the £, I still finished up a fair bit out of pocket.

The way I have (attempted) done the swift transfer was like this, went into my flex account, opened the swift transfer form and filled it in on line (as directed) printed the form, signed it, then sent it to the address on the form (as directed).

The charge for someone pressing a button at nationwide is £20 then a hit from hsbc of £12 ( well I shouldn't complain, those directors need the money for their big pensions)

I will give them a call tomorrow (to the swift transfer team) an let you know what transpires.

Thanks guys (some suggestions to look into)

Steve :):D

I don't use Nationwide, but here's an experience.

I arranged a bank transfer over the phone with Barclays within the last year, and foolishly didn't confirm the SWIFT code of the destination bank. I just said SCB, meaning Siam Commercial Bank. I wasn't in a great rush for the money, and was quite lazy chasing it up. A month later, no money had arrived here, so I phoned them. They said the money had been sent to Standard Chartered Bank in Bangkok, who had deducted a handling fee and sent the money back to Barclays in the UK. I had not been notified by Barclays, and lost a bunch of money and time as a result. Barclays' complaints department absolutely stonewalled me as I tried to pursue any recompense (of course).

So basically, _always_ fully specify the SWIFT code for the destination bank in any such international transfer instruction. Also, pay attention to the onshore/offshore currency conversion.

If you specified the SWIFT code, I'd say you should be fine. Allow maybe 5 or 10 days for your instruction to reach them, then maybe 5-10 days for the transfer, depending on how your bank does things. Barclays have a 'standard' and 'priority' service, for example, where standard transfers don't even leave your UK account for a few working days from the date of the instruction being processed.

When do things by phone with Barclays, and specify Priority service for the transaction, the money's normally here in 3 or 4 working days.

Allowing for international postage times, and your banks processing times, just call your bank if you think too much time has elapsed and trace the transaction.

Can i ask how you set this up at the UK (HSBC) end?

I want the EXACT same thing. I have the Kasikorn account with online banking, and online banking facility on a bog standard HSBC account (not a Plus or Premiere) But i fail to see where i can activate the facility. Its not a "call into the brach" or telehone/fax instructions jobby, is it?

Penkoprod

Hi Penkoprod.

It's very easy to set up.

Go into your internet banking where you will see an International transfer option.

It will ask for details of the receiving beneficiary, account number, bank code.

And yes it's 17 quid.

I use NW and yes it can take around 10- 12days because of the post to the UK & weekends etc.

To date 10 days has been about the max, sometimes they telephone to check security details but not on every occasion.

NW claim to process it the day it it received and checked by them.

Edited by Tafia

Penkoprod

fROM hsbc WEBSITE:-

International Money Transfers – Save £13 online with Priority Payments

The world is getting smaller. With more people living and working aboard, more of us need to move funds to a foreign account and send money to friends and family back home. And with HSBC, making such international Money Transfer is quick, easy and – hassle free, everything you'd expect from the world's local bank. Plus when you make an international payment online, you'll even save £13 on the transaction fee.*

<H2 style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px">Overview</H2>

• Send money to over 200 countries
  • Send money in 84 currencies
  • Payments typically received in 1– 4 days business days
  • Payments can be made between 08:00
    and 15:30 UK local time

<H2 style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px">It's quick and simple</H2>

Making an international money transfer is quick and easy

• Click on the account name from
    which you want to transfer money
  • Click on Send Money Overseas

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/HSBCINTEGRATION/register;jsessionid=0000QLTlEBhxCNRP2VV6RMW8XZt:12c58nn8e' target="_blank">

I am surprised to hear you say Nationwide will carry out a swift transfer without you being present.

I am a Thai resident, but have a Flexaccount as well as an e saver.

Nationwide will not allow me to carry out a swift transfer ( even by fax ) without my original signature.

I normally transfer the money to a friend who then carries out the transfer for me in the branch.

Normally arrives in 3 days.

Just on aside note.....A warning

Abbey will ( via Abbey Global ) but be very careful to specify you want pounds sterling sent.

2 years ago they exchanged my £ to Thai baht before sending at the most appalling rate and I lost 428,000 baht in the process. Despite my immeadiate complaint they flatly refused to refund the difference.

It took nearly 2 years for my complaint to be upheld by The Financial Ombudsmen and Abbey were forced to give it back. However due to the fall of the £, I still finished up a fair bit out of pocket.

NW will SWIFT transfer without you being present, they will only accept the form filled in on line and printed then posted to them.

I register my post and the whole transaction normally takes around 10 days to my receiveing the money.

The way I have (attempted) done the swift transfer was like this, went into my flex account, opened the swift transfer form and filled it in on line (as directed) printed the form, signed it, then sent it to the address on the form (as directed).

The charge for someone pressing a button at nationwide is £20 then a hit from hsbc of £12 ( well I shouldn't complain, those directors need the money for their big pensions)

I will give them a call tomorrow (to the swift transfer team) an let you know what transpires.

I have never been charged more than the £20, not sure where where the extra £12 charge comes from??

I think some people are misunderstanding the difference between a SWIFT electronic payment and an International money transfer.

If you make a SWIFT payment (supply SWIFT code bank account # etc.) and arrange this to be made before UK time 3.30pm the money WILL be in your Thai bank the next day. My bank charges 30 GBP for this service.

I usually just use International Money Tranfer service. Arrange Monday and the money is in my Thai Bank Thursday morning, (Cost 13 GBP)

Also, I might add, most banks offer secure telephone banking where 10,000 GBP can be wired per day just by telephone instruction.

Edited by syd barrett

I have never been charged more than the £20, not sure where where the extra £12 charge comes from??

Hi Tafia, I must admit I have only sent two swift transfers from the UK via Natwest and it cost me £20 for Natwest and they said £12 for the receiving bank or HSBC not sure now (it was a while ago) ??

Also on the swift form I filled out it asks for a day time number and the time zone (and it states) if you are overseas.

Thanks again all

Steve :D :D

I think some people are misunderstanding the difference between a SWIFT electronic payment and an International money transfer.

If you make a SWIFT payment (supply SWIFT code bank account # etc.) and arrange this to be made before UK time 3.30pm the money WILL be in your Thai bank the next day. My bank charges 30 GBP for this service.

I usually just use International Money Tranfer service. Arrange Monday and the money is in my Thai Bank Thursday morning, (Cost 13 GBP)

Also, I might add, most banks offer secure telephone banking where 10,000 GBP can be wired per day just by telephone instruction.

syd - I disagree with your wording. All international bank to bank transfers are transacted via SWIFT. An international money (bank) transfer goes via SWIFT. Some banks will market 'express' services to charge a higher fee, or a slower service and lower fee.

Absolutely right that Internet Banking is the way to go - you are in control of timing and the cost. Agree that the funds will be with the receiving bank the next - unless a correspondent bank is used in which case there MAY be a further delay.

i have stoped using swift i just use my atm card from nationwide along with my pasport and withdraw any amount i like no fees here or in the uk and no waiting days for it to come

Hi, I have a few questions if you don't mind, lets say I needed £10k What amount can you withdraw in one go, what are the charges for each withdrawl, do you have to contact NW to let them know you are taking a large amount.

Hope you can help.

i have stoped using swift i just use my atm card from nationwide along with my pasport and withdraw any amount i like no fees here or in the uk and no waiting days for it to come

Incorrect.

If you are using a Nationwide VISA card with passport you will pick up the 0.84% VISA charge that is now passed on by Nationwide. It is not a charge that is shown separately, it is incorporated into the exchange rate.

The "any amount" will depend on where you are - for example, Kasikorn in my neck of the woods limited such daily withdrawals to 20,000 Baht.

From the Nationwide website:-

Using your cards abroad

You don't need to tell us you're travelling abroad - Please follow this link to find out why: Going abroad? We don't need notifying you're travelling abroad

Making cash withdrawals abroad

When you make a withdrawal, you'll be given the cash in the local currency. The transaction will be converted to sterling on the date the transaction is debited from your account and at the rate of exchange applied by VISA. You can find their rates by following this link to the Visa website. *

Foreign Transactions

Nationwide continues to offer commission-free foreign transactions. By commission-free we mean not adding any additional charge for the service of exchanging currency that generates profit for the Society.

We pass on a Visa charge for processing transactions in certain currencies other than sterling. The fee is currently 0.84% and it will be included in the sterling amount shown on your statement.

The list below provides details of the countries for which Visa charge a fee. To check if you will be charged, please search for the country you are visiting by using the A-Z list. Unless stated otherwise a fee will be charged.

Note:-

Today's VISA rate of exchange is 56.00 - the effect of the 0.84% charge is to reduce the rate to 55.53

Edited by Chaimai

Well guys, panic over, I contacted NW to see if my swift transfer form had arrived, it has and they are processing it as we speak (well I may be a bit optimistic on that point :D )

I would like to thank everybody for their input, and I am still going to look at the less expensive options mentioned above.

Thanks ALL :):D :D :D

Well guys, panic over, I contacted NW to see if my swift transfer form had arrived, it has and they are processing it as we speak (well I may be a bit optimistic on that point :D )

I would like to thank everybody for their input, and I am still going to look at the less expensive options mentioned above.

Thanks ALL :):D:D:D

If they said they are they probably are and your money will be with you tomorrow.

I use the SWIFT as it also satisfies Imm when they see funds appear from abroad in my savings book. Stops silly questions if you know what I mean.

Hi guys,

Hope you can help

Steve

Good one Chaimai - I was surprised to see Halifax's low cost for online transfers. Did a bit of a search and here is their page :

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/inte...entservices.asp

Just wondering, what do you need to do to set-up a beneficiary ? Is it possible to do this all on-line or is there some form of initial approval required, ie signature, appearance in person...

I'm also wondering which Thai banks, if any, Halifax is a correspondent bank of ? By sending money to those Thai banks it will be quicker and more importantly, cheaper as there will be no routing fees, plus less chance for c0ck-ups.

Hi guys,

Hope you can help

Steve

Plus if you have a Nationwide Onshore (Flex or any suitable other), transfers from Nationwide to Nationwide Int are free. I know Nationwide Int have a BACS account no for receiving transfers, but I have been informed that doing a transfer from any other onshore UK bank may incur a charge.

How much do Nationwide Int charge you for a SWIFT transfer ?

Cheers

Good one Chaimai - I was surprised to see Halifax's low cost for online transfers. Did a bit of a search and here is their page :

http://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/inte...entservices.asp

Just wondering, what do you need to do to set-up a beneficiary ? Is it possible to do this all on-line or is there some form of initial approval required, ie signature, appearance in person...

I'm also wondering which Thai banks, if any, Halifax is a correspondent bank of ? By sending money to those Thai banks it will be quicker and more importantly, cheaper as there will be no routing fees, plus less chance for c0ck-ups.

Bob - everything can be done online with Halifax, quite user friendly. I pay to Kasikorn and it is usually there the next day. I think Halifax to most large Thai banks will be the same - only the smaller banks would, I think, require a correspondent bank.

Bob, what are the benefits of Nationwide International (apart from online SWIFT facility) ?

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I assume the SCB SWIFT code SICOTHBK applies to all SCB branches in Thailand meaning individual branches don't have individual codes. Thanks.