Airport Scam Or Tourists Shoplifting At King Power Tax Free, Suvarnabhumi?

thailandlover

Scam or not?   

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a scam and its been running a long time.............

Next time you go through the airport check out how well the different shops are seperated - they are not. Its easy to pick something up and wonder from one retail area into another retail without realising it.

And the guy that turns up each time negotiate "release" ... the translator attached to the Sri Lankan embassy - odd isn't it that the police call him - and he spins the same story each time. It'll go something along the lines of, "well, this can all be deal't with if you pay over x amount..... blah blah, blah blah .....".

The moral of the story: if you pick something up off a shelf in the duty free sales area, be carefull that you do not accidentaly walk into the retail space of an adjoining retailer before you've paid for it - and don't put it in your bag while walking around.

I guess thieves make all sorts of excuses for their bad behavior. King Power is expensive more so then outside the airport proper and why anyone would even consider shopping there is beyond me. The only mistake that was made - not tossing these two in jail instead of allowing them to buy their way out.

<br />I guess thieves make all sorts of excuses for their bad behavior. King Power is expensive more so then outside the airport proper and why anyone would even consider shopping there is beyond me. The only mistake that was made - not tossing these two in jail instead of allowing them to buy their way out.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />King Power may be expensive. But to be fair, it is no more expensive than Duty Free shops in HK, SIN, LHR, LAX, etc. Edited by MegWong

MF, I have to ask, why would anyone put something they had not yet purchased into their bag? Does this not constitute shoplifting anywhere in the world?

Not in Germany.

Lots of people don't want to take the supermarket trolley, so they just use their own bag and let the checkout person check it.

I think the law requires that one leave the shop's premises before shoplifting can be considered.

From the numbers on the poll it looks like most of us agree. Shoplifting happens everywhere at every shop. In western cultures they either turn the perp over to the police or they give them a stern talking to and let them go. In Asian cultures there can often be a reversal where the store decides to take matters into their own hands to gain a profit. None of us know the real story because we weren't there. Who knows, maybe a few shop owners DO scam tourists when sales are down. I believe the rent for the stalls is probably excessively high and the owners need a profit to stay in business. One thing IS for certain though, shopping in so called "duty free" shops is mostly a scam. The savings are miniscule and most often the same item could be purchased cheaper at home when it comes on sale.

From the numbers on the poll it looks like most of us agree. Shoplifting happens everywhere at every shop. In western cultures they either turn the perp over to the police or they give them a stern talking to and let them go. In Asian cultures there can often be a reversal where the store decides to take matters into their own hands to gain a profit. None of us know the real story because we weren't there. Who knows, maybe a few shop owners DO scam tourists when sales are down. I believe the rent for the stalls is probably excessively high and the owners need a profit to stay in business. One thing IS for certain though, shopping in so called "duty free" shops is mostly a scam. The savings are miniscule and most often the same item could be purchased cheaper at home when it comes on sale.

a few shop owners DO scam tourists when sales are down. I believe the rent for the stalls is probably excessively high and the owners need a profit to stay in business.

Ah, so that makes corruption acceptable. I had not realised.

Edited by caf

I have watched the video a couple of times and it looks pretty clearly as if the woman steals the wallet. She picks it up from the wallet display shelf then walks around to the other side of the display stand and puts it on another shelf and then picks it up again and puts it in her bag and walks away.

It seems from what I have read it is extortion rather than a scam. Pay us the money to end the case.

I don't think even the Thai police would be stupid enough to be involved in a scam that sets up innocent tourists in their major international airport.

There are plenty of other scams they are involved in outside of the airport.

Someone had pointed out the the video is inconclusive.

who cares......?

just some more silly people wanting their 15 minutes of desperate z list celebrity status in the media.....

i'm in love with meg wongs avatar photo, is that you meg wong in it????

If I had done nothing wrong, I would not pay a cent. I dont think I will be kept long time. Oh well what an experience. Other should behave the same way. In fact I am not joking. We have to stand against this kind of scam. I doubt I will be thrown into Bangkok Hilton. And if I did it would be in the big news.

It seems we have innocent tourists being scammed, but of course among them are the occasional guilty shoplifter as well.

Shoplifting is not innocent and it is right that people are being prosecuted for that. That prosecution can be in the form of paying a fine or a transaction with the company they tried to steal from.

In this case there doesn't seem to be a prosecution, the money paid is no fine and also doesn't go to the company. It goes directly into the pockets of some corrupt official. And that is much more serious than a case of shoplifting. It underminds the trust we have in the legal system and makes us wonder if a case is real or just a scam, as we can't believe the police anymore.

n these tough economic times people still have to eat. The petty thief, the police, the Sri Lankan interpreter and even King Power Duty Free's employees. My last trips a few days ago to Suvarnabhumi showed that people are taking notice of the negative press. I saw two foreign woman shopping in all of King Power Duty Free while scores of employees stood around watching the action.

I kept looking for that imaginary boarder crossing that would signify that I was entering King Power's potential danger zone and I wasn't the only one. The scams will continue and one has to admire the unmitigated gall of the people involved in this very organized criminal conspiracy. When a vacationer or even a business passenger is leaving from an airport they are under stress from all directions often of their own making. Will I make the plane? Will the plane crash? Will my luggage make it? Do I have anything on me that my wife might find showing I was in Thailand for the last week? Have to get a present for my significant other and/or children right now.

These passengers are vulnerable and perfect targets for the "King Power Duty Free Scam". They have to go home or fly to another city for work and a delay is going to cost time and money they cannot afford. It would be obvious even to the new baby panda at the Chiang Mai Zoo that the mystery African, the police and King Power along with the lawyers exist to make as much money from you as soon as possible. The trouble once you are targeted you are SCREWED.

Some of these victims were probably petty thieves. I bet they will think twice before they try to steal for a cheap thrill again. The crime here is the continuing criminal enterprise that the government chooses to ignore. I am happy to see at least someone is trying to warn anyone who goes to Suvarnabhumi could be arrested by just entering a King Power property.

I seem to remember someone in the UK was charged with shoplifting for spraying some perfume on themselves in a store.

The excuse was the bottle wasn't the 'sample' bottle.

I must admit I have done that on a couple of occasions at KP when I was sweating a little before a flight.

I won't do it again - in fact you have more chance of snow falling in Bangkok than me even shopping anywhere at the airport again.

Now if someone got wind of that perfume case at KP......

For the poll, I checked 'other'.

I think anyone is a target, more so if you have lifted anything though.

And what about the people being scammed coming in with duty free?

I wouldn't dream of bringing in duty free to Thailand now.

Makes you a target.

<br />I guess thieves make all sorts of excuses for their bad behavior. King Power is expensive more so then outside the airport proper and why anyone would even consider shopping there is beyond me. The only mistake that was made - not tossing these two in jail instead of allowing them to buy their way out.<br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />King Power may be expensive. But to be fair, it is no more expensive than Duty Free shops in HK, SIN, LHR, LAX, etc.

I've always found that duty free is very expensive, better to pay the tax. Also in the 10 years I have made my adobe in Thailand, I have never shop King Power , looking through the window was enough to tell me I couldn't afford it

At a guess I would say that those customers involved include both the innocent and the guilty. The constant is the organised scam at the airport, which I suspect ropes in people when the opportunity arises (don't cross any invisible lines on the floor!)

I just read the official statement form KP to this...

It is interesting to read that the couple was seated separately and when she got approached by officers he left. Not sure if that is true, but I give it a reason of a doubt.

What I find interesting is, that they claim they even changed clothing... this whole thing is so absurd... this could be the total truth and they knew they were onto them for the theft, and it could just as much be totally different people that look alike to the ones who stole the wallet and were caught on camera.

It is also interesting that KP's security people (not the airport's security) witnessed him dropping the wallet into a bin outside the gents bathroom. I am not sure whether this is just a big lie or the truth.

However, I do believe all the different reports about different scams going on in this airport, and it is a shame that this is allowed to happen. It really ruins the face of Thailand and hurts tourism.

Edited by jbhh

I seem to remember someone in the UK was charged with shoplifting for spraying some perfume on themselves in a store.

The excuse was the bottle wasn't the 'sample' bottle.

Shoplifting is theft, its that simple, and the definition of theft in the uk is 'when a person dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving that person of it'.

If any one part of this definition is missing then it is not theft, although the scenario you mention could be construed as theft depending on whether the person acted dishonestly, I doubt very much that this would have seen the inside of a UK court as the CPS would have not put this before a court, this would not be in the public interest and would probably have a very low chance of conviction anyway.

One thing many people do not know is that in a shop they are not offering to sell anything (UK law), it is in fact an 'invitation to treat'. This means that you make an offer and they accept the offer. The reason for this is that as an example, supermarkets who sell alcohol would in fact be offering to sell the alcohol to underage drinkers, so to get round this the 'invitation to treat law' was brought in. (not relevant here I know but interesting nonetheless :) )

I don't know the definition for theft in Thailand, but surely crossing some invisible boundary in a store does not constitute dishonesty or an intention to permanently deprive the owner of the property.

I've seen the video and it would appear that she is a thief. I read on TV that the wallet was found in a rubbish bin, sorry I don't know this as a fact, but I saw her take it to the other side of the display, put it down, open her bag and put it in. That's not how to shop!

I would like to know exactly what would have happened if they had said "we're not giving you any money, let's let a judge decide". I understand that they were scared but no wallet was found on them. What would have happened if they refused to pay? I believe, even in Thai law, that only a judge can send you to prison. There isn't a policeman in the world that can put you in prison is there? Detain in a cell yes, but prison? They got £7,500 from these two. Even if, without the stolen item, they were found guilty, what would have been the sentence? Fine (how much for lifting a wallet)? Imprisonment? Must be a member on TV who knows Thai law. Siam legal isn't it?

Perhaps embassies could issue the warning 'If your gonna shoplift and get caught, let the legal system deal with it and don't pay the extortionist scumbags'

I can't vote until I know this because I don't know if a judge would have fined them £7,500 bht or not (I seriously doubt it).

a few shop owners DO scam tourists when sales are down. I believe the rent for the stalls is probably excessively high and the owners need a profit to stay in business.

Ah, so that makes corruption acceptable. I had not realised.

You are cherry picking what I wrote, caf, and using it out of context. Nowhere did I say that corruption is acceptable. When you use someone else's words out of context then you lose any credibility in your own statements.

What I did say is that corruption and shoplifting happens everywhere. It is well known that authorities in third world countries are often corrupt. Foreigners have to be aware of that fact and take precautions. I also said that anyone purchasing any expensive item from duty free shops is foolish. Snack food or magazines is another thing entirely and helps to pass the time while waiting for planes.