(cool) Ways To Get To Victory Monument & Housing

bsross

Hi All:

I would like to get opinions on nice places to rent a house or a condo within easy reach of Victory Monument.

I will be moving to Bangkok and working near Victory Monument. I know that the BTS is a fine way to get to work there. Are there any other methods? I despise sitting in traffic, and would need an air-con bus

My goal is to get a nice house in the 20-30,000baht range, within a short walk to the BTS or bus stop for my commute.

I heard that Sukhomvit is expensive...can anyone tell me about Ari, Phayathai, etc? Which ones have nice housing in my price range nearby? I do not mind being far from western food, or not having many Farang around :o

Thanks for any advice and opinions!

Respectfully,

Bryan

Hi All:

I would like to get opinions on nice places to rent a house or a condo within easy reach of Victory Monument.

I will be moving to Bangkok and working near Victory Monument.  I know that the BTS is a fine way to get to work there.  Are there any other methods?  I despise sitting in traffic, and would need an air-con bus

My goal is to get a nice house in the 20-30,000baht range, within a short walk to the BTS or bus stop for my commute. 

I heard that Sukhomvit is expensive...can anyone tell me about Ari, Phayathai, etc?  Which ones have nice housing in my price range nearby?  I do not mind being far from western food, or not having many Farang around :o

Thanks for any advice and opinions!

Respectfully,

Bryan

You can lease a car and driver. Has so many great benefits :

1) 24 hr on demand service from your driver

2) dont have to look for parks

3) have additional security,mediator and shopping bag carrier (the driver)

4) dont have to worry about meters/fare quotes etc..

5) driver usually has ok english (if you can't speak thai)

6) familiarity

7) can work/sleep/eat in the back seat en route to office

8) dont have to read maps/navigate around BKK while driving

9) dont have to worry about crashing and being the guilty farang

10) dont have to own a depreciating asset and worry about insurance etc...

so many more......

I used to stay near VM. I lived near the king's palace, and the zoo, in a place called Dusit. There are lots of nice houses for rent here. Although not far from VM, traffic can be very bad on Ratchawithi Road. Stay away from VM as the pollution is terrible!

I don't like Ari.

I would live maybe on Chaeng Wattana Road somewhere near Pakkret/Nontaburi.

For 20,000 baht, you could get a very nice place and you can get to VM from Chaeng Wattana very quickly on the expressway. There is an expressway exit/entry at VM. Because of this, you could really stay anywhere in Bangkok. or beyond! You could get to Ayuttaya in 30 min on the expressway.

Remember the farther away from Bangkok the better in my opinion, if you want to breathe properly.

The Condo across from the Peace Corps Office on Rajavithi Road.. past the old Rajabhlat.. it is before the Khrueng Thon Bridge.. you can catch bus 24.. that will get you to VM.. are you working in the Medical area..

The area is quiet.. but your in traffic.. face it. that is BKK..so.. the commute will be common place.

Additionally by Soi Arutthaya.. *sp* there are many condo high rises.. and you are a short walk from the BTS.

Good luck..

You're looking for a neat commute? Here's one: find a place to live up near Ramkamhang or Bang Kapi and take the commuter boat down the Klong Saen Seab to Pratunam. The boat takes about 1/2 an hour and from the Pratunam Pier you can walk to the Chidlom BTS Station or just take a bus up Rachadami/Ratchaprarop to VM! Your total commute time will be about 45 - 50 minutes and there is never a traffic jam on the water! :o The only real downsides are the smell of the Klong, the fact that the boats are very crowded during commute hours, you have to scramble on and off the boats like a squirrel at the docks and the boats stop running after sunset.