New Rules Re Retirement Vias

Today I went to the immigration office in Phuket to obtain a rentry for my wife, who is going for short leave to Netherlands.

We both have Dutch nationality and are 66 and 65 of age. We have since last year a retirement visa. We got this by showing letter from our embassy that we both have a total income of over 65,000 baht monthly from our pension and that we are legally married.

Today we heard from one of the tourist police. who are working there to assist " farang" in all kind of visa issues, that rules have been changed and that for renewal of our retirement visa requirements are following:

Even if you are married EACH!!!!! partner has to prove an income of 65,000 baht a month or the 800,000 baht in bankaccount.

Can anybody tell me if this is indeed a new rules, because I think most people who are married and live from their pension from home never will match those requirements.

thanks in advance

Hans

You have 2 options to apply for an extension of stay:

1. Both of you apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, that means both of you have to show an income of 65,000 baht OR a bankaccount with 800,000 baht in it for 3 months OR a combination of income and money in the bank.

2. Only one applies for a retirement extension and has to show the above requirements. The partner asks for an extension of stay as depended of the person who qualifies for the extension based on retirement.

There is nothing new here.

No that is not true. But one partner must have 65k or income/bank deposit to total 800k. That person then obtains the extension of stay for retirement. The other has a dependent extension of stay (without proof of income) on the basis of the other having the retirement extension of stay. What is confusing sometimes is that both partners want a retirement extension (no reason really) so in that case they both must meet the income/bank requirements.

"But one partner must have 65k or income/bank deposit to total 800k. That person then obtains the extension of stay for retirement. The other has a dependent extension of stay (without proof of income) on the basis of the other having the retirement extension of stay."

I wonder if what was being said is that this particular scenario will no longer be available and that would require each party to get a retirement visa.

Of course they'd need to have a plan for those not old enough to get a 'retirement' visa on their own terms.

Are there many people getting visas/extensions this way?

What is being said, I believe, is that next year they will not accept a combined income to satisfy the 65k requirement. One person only and any shortfall has to be made up for by bank deposit, in that persons name only.. This goes along with the one name only on bank accounts this year.

Edited by lopburi3

"What is being said, I believe, is that next year they will not accept a combined income to satisfy the 65k requirement. One person only and any shortfall has to be made up for by bank deposit, in that persons name only."

Yes, I see what you mean.

Good catch.

65000 Baht a month income (presumably tax free) is a heck of a lot of money for Thailand, and retired people typically have lower living expenses than those working due to not having to commute, buy work clothes etc.

Any reason why its set so high? Or is it just another example of the bizarre falacy that Thailand wants to filter out everyone who isn't "quality"?

Another way is this:

Month 1 - One applies on the basis of 800k

The 800k is transferred to another account

Month 4 - The second person uses the same 800k to get their extension

Repeat as required.

But there is no reason for that as they are married and second can easily obtain dependent extension of stay without financial means. And using bank deposit requires submitting bank data each year the persons doing this might, at some point, face additional questioning.

Another way is this:

Month 1 - One applies on the basis of 800k

The 800k is transferred to another account

Month 4 - The second person uses the same 800k to get their extension

Repeat as required.

But there is no reason for that as they are married and second can easily obtain dependent extension of stay without financial means. And using bank deposit requires submitting bank data each year the persons doing this might, at some point, face additional questioning.

I agree with Lopburi:

Start abusing the rules and you will get found out, and may face a heavy fine or visa refusal

You have 2 options to apply for an extension of stay:

1. Both of you apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, that means both of you have to show an income of 65,000 baht OR a bankaccount with 800,000 baht in it for 3 months OR a combination of income and money in the bank.

2. Only one applies for a retirement extension and has to show the above requirements. The partner asks for an extension of stay as depended of the person who qualifies for the extension based on retirement.

There is nothing new here.

mario,

your comment raises a question: does the "partner" or "dependant" of the person on the retirment visa have to be married to the individual with the retirment visa in order to qualify for a visa?

if not, how does one demonstrate to the immigration authorities that in fact they are "dependants"?

and does the dependent partner have to be over 50 years old?

thank you!