The Best Indian Restaurant Near Beach Road Is ..?

jingjingna

Thanks to all who responded to my last thread about English breakfasts! I would now like you to share your opinions about the best Indian restaurant in Pattaya, again location again within walking distance of Beach Road.

I have never tried any of the Indian restaurants in Pattaya in the approx two years that I have been here and would love to tuck into a delicious curry...come on guys!

:o

The Alibaba on Soi 6 is generally very good in terms of food, the service however, is somewhat erratic. If you're a non-meat eater, you may find many of their vegetable dishes a bit light side. The last two times I ate there I felt that I needed to order more, which with Indian food shouldn't really happen.

I love Indian food and have tried a few places in Pattaya, and have been generally underwhelmed. I am not British and do not understand the way British people seem to be looking for British style Indian food; I like Indian style Indian food.

Anyway, some comments:

Acha in Jomtien, very excellent value on their lunch sets. Some boldly flavoured curries and what I like is many are not overly heavy. The nan is not done properly (clearly not from the tandoori). However, for the flavor and the price, hard to beat in Pattaya.

Ali Baba, went only once for their lunch "buffet" which they advertised in the Pattaya Mail. Turns out they do not have a lunch buffet, but offer a meat or veggie thali platter for 199 baht. Tried the meat thali. The nan was quite good, and the curries had good flavor, but I am guessing they use lots of ghee butter, the style was too rich for my taste. Also, the chicken tandoori on this platter was the size of poodle's ballock. Lek lek. Why call it a meat thali, eh?

Also tried the well advertised dinner buffet somewhere in the vicinity of the VC hotel on the right hand side heading towards the hill towards Jomtien. This is also about 200 baht. This is substandard Indian food. Weak spices. Uninspired cooking. I do like buffets and the price isn't bad for purposes of filling your stomach, but I really hope someone decides to do a decent Indian buffet in Pattaya. Actually, I understand there is a tandoori buffet at the Royal Cliff on Sunday nights for 700 baht which one would guess has got to be good for that price, so I should say a decent buffet, well priced, and everyday.

Edited by Thaiquila

there's a wee indian take-away/restaurant next to the 24 hour supermarket at view talay1......

they are ok and will cook u what u want, i.e in uk i eat madrass they only had a curry or vindaloo on their menu but when i told them what i liked they prepared it for me, went back a couple of times and they got it perfect for me :D

still not what u are used to with uk curry houses but it was a tasty wee change and i didn't expect to find any rubies in thailand :o

I tried the one at the Beach end of Soi Zero (forget the name) and I would not go back.

Me to. Worst indian meal i ever had. Think the name was The Kohinoor (sic)

Chairs outside the place where you can smoke on hookahs ! Should have realised it would be bad, the place is always empty.

Thanks guys! Not sure now where to go!

I won't consider Ali's or the other place that slaps on too much of ghee ..I am intrigued by 'acchas'...wherebabouts is it? Directions please for a newbie coming off Sukhumvit ..

Take the baht bus to Jomtien, but don't go quite as far as the beach.

You are close when you see View Talay Condos ONE on the left.

Then stay on the bus and cross a large road Threpassit.

Acha is then nearby on the left hand side of the road.

If you see View Talay Condos TWO, you have gone a bit too far.

Best and cheapest way is to go for lunch with a small group. Then you can get different main dishes as sets and sample because the portions are decent.

Ali Baba, went only once for their  lunch "buffet" which they advertised in the Pattaya Mail. Turns out they do not have a lunch buffet, but offer a meat or veggie thali platter for 199 baht. Tried the meat thali. The nan was quite good, and the curries had good flavor, but I am guessing they use lots of ghee butter, the style was too rich for my taste. Also, the chicken tandoori on this platter was the size of poodle's ballock. Lek lek. Why call it a meat thali, eh?

I've had their lunch "buffet" a few times and enjoy it; for me it's one of the best Indian meals had in Pattaya. I agree calling it "buffet" is an exaggeration, but they told me that you can have as many refills you like.

Edited by madsere

I come from Leicester which has some of the best Indian style cooking in Britain if not the world and I've yet to find a restaurant here in Pattaya that I would regularly return to as none of them is consistently good

There are 2 Indians on the left going down Jomtien hill one is ok and the other rather dear and frightfully patronising. The Kohinoor on can be good value for money but the quality is very inconsistent. The Raja at the top of third is also very erratic. Alabama’s: - eat there at your peril! There's one off beach rd Jomtien that probably served me the most appalling Indian meal I've ever had.

The only exception is the Indian restaurant in Royal Cliff Beach Resort, 353 Phra Tamnuk Road, Pattaya, which although a little dear does some pretty splendid food.

There was a mention of British style Indian food. I have to say that I think the merging of these 2 cultures has produced some really fantastic dishes and I've been very disappointed with Indian restaurants outside the UK. The balti was a product of Birmingham, and many of the names for "curries" used e.g. Madras, Vindaloo etc. are of UK origin. Try getting a Chicken Tikka Masala in India. Many other British foods are of Indian origin, Chutneys, Kedgeree and Mulligatawny for example.

Although not a vegetarian myself, my preference is for vegetarian Indian food as I think that the spices have been selected and developed to be especially suited in vegetarian food.

Of course when I say Indian food I refer to the general genre of cuisine of that sub-continent, including Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, etc.

UK style curries at NEEROYS CURRY SHOP on Soi Chaiyapoon across from Crazy Dave's restaurant. Chaiyapoon is just off Soi Buakhao N. of the Soi Diana intersection.  Curries priced from 99-170 baht.

-redwood

They deliver as well, as redwood says they are Uk style.........one plus is he is open till 2am so you can pick one up after a night out.

Ali Baba, went only once for their  lunch "buffet" which they advertised in the Pattaya Mail. Turns out they do not have a lunch buffet, but offer a meat or veggie thali platter for 199 baht. Tried the meat thali. The nan was quite good, and the curries had good flavor, but I am guessing they use lots of ghee butter, the style was too rich for my taste. Also, the chicken tandoori on this platter was the size of poodle's ballock. Lek lek. Why call it a meat thali, eh?

I've had their lunch "buffet" a few times and enjoy it; for me it's one of the best Indian meals had in Pattaya. I agree calling it "buffet" is an exaggeration, but they told me that you can have as many refills you like.

Yes, I agree that they know how to cook Indian food, very rich Indian food, at Ali Baba. In my case, it was a thali platter and there was no mention of refills. If they had, I would have gladly partaken of numerous refills on the poodle's ballock sized portion of chicken tandoori. It might depend on whether there is a crowd or not or perhaps they have done away with the non buffet, even though they were paying for ads about it when I went.

Edited by Thaiquila

• 3 years later...

This weeks Pattaya Mail (Issue February 6th 2009) has a weekly dining report on Pattaya's 'Ali Baba' restaurant. I have only been there once and that was a very long time ago.

Reading this updated, positive and promising review in the Pattaya Mail has inspired me to visit once again very soon.

Has anyone visited recently? What are your opinions? I have one small reservation, do they still have massive tour buses crammed with Indians visiting, who are then crammed inside of the restaurant in the early evening?

The new place to try now is called ROYAL INDIAN HUT. It is on Pratunmak, South Pattaya, just to the right of the Beverly Hotel. Excellent food, cooked as you like, good prices. For example some of the best tandoor nan in town for 20 baht. Typical curries, 150 baht. Not a dirty dive, excellent modern decor.

Edited by Jingthing

I've tried just about every curry place in town... There are only two that are worth a mention..

Ahaar - 2nd road end of Soi Post Office ( it's upstairs just past the BJ bars )

Excellent tasty food.. Authentic and cooked by Indian chefs in glass walled kitchen, you can watch them cooking in the tandoor etc... Quiet early in the evening but lots of Indians and expats eating there later.

Madras Durbar - Past 'Made in Thailand Market' on Second Rd as if going too North Pattaya.

Southern Indian ( Masala Dosai & Puri etc) plus Northern style dishes.. Excellent food.. Place is rammed with Indian tourists so it's obviously good value too.

As for most of the rest (excluding Royal Cliff) they are poor at best.. Ranging from tasteless and unauthentic to overly salty and expensive..

It's a matter of personal taste I admit. But I've been eating Indian food most of my life and have lived and worked throughout South and South East Asia so I figure I have a better idea than most as to what it should taste like... Of course if you don't know any better you can always go to Neroys ... :o

Agreed, Pdaz, those are both good. Madras is especially interesting as they have dishes not found anywhere else in town.

Yes Madras is great for me as they can make alot of the 'Singaporean' Tamil style dishes that I miss..

Like I said their Dosai is great.. and their version of Biryani also... A lot more to Indan food than the standard UK curry house menu..

Thanks to all who responded to my last thread about English breakfasts! I would now like you to share your opinions about the best Indian restaurant in Pattaya, again location again within walking distance of Beach Road.

I have never tried any of the Indian restaurants in Pattaya in the approx two years that I have been here and would love to tuck into a delicious curry...come on guys!

on a slightly different line there are some excellent frozen ready meal curries in frienship at the mo,, they are 400g anglo indian style made by a company called tropical foods the owner is a mate of mine but im purely replying for the quality of his food the vindaloo and dopiaza are my favs big chunks of tender chicken breast last time i bought a few they were 160bt i think and well worth it too.

The only decent curry I have had in five years living here is the one that I make myself, using Fiddes Payne curry powder that I bring from the UK. Both the Madras and Garam Masala mixes are both excellent. :D

Face it, it's like pizzas and burgers, there are a hundred-and-one different places that do the food in Pattaya, but for some reason NONE of them is terribly good. :o

I've dined at so many Indian places here that I've lost count. The best, however is the last place I've tried - and I shall look no further. Ravi Da Dhaba on Soi 16 just east of Second Road behind the school and next to the Sikh temple. It's a tiny place with five tables, outdoor kitchen right on a busy soi. It's the definition of "a hole in the wall", which in my experience, always has superior food.

It's affordable, delicious, not afraid to make food spicy, and unpretentious. Forget all those big name places that advertise, it's all the same tasteless dreck.

I've dined at so many Indian places here that I've lost count. The best, however is the last place I've tried - and I shall look no further. Ravi Da Dhaba on Soi 16 just east of Second Road behind the school and next to the Sikh temple. It's a tiny place with five tables, outdoor kitchen right on a busy soi. It's the definition of "a hole in the wall", which in my experience, always has superior food.

It's affordable, delicious, not afraid to make food spicy, and unpretentious. Forget all those big name places that advertise, it's all the same tasteless dreck.

You really should try the ROYAL INDIAN HUT in the same neighborhood (on Pratumnak). They also will make it spicy if you ask and their nan and palau rice is much, much better than Ravi for about the same money.

on a slightly different line there are some excellent frozen ready meal curries in frienship at the mo,, they are 400g anglo indian style made by a company called tropical foods the owner is a mate of mine but im purely replying for the quality of his food the vindaloo and dopiaza are my favs big chunks of tender chicken breast last time i bought a few they were 160bt i think and well worth it too.

Have to disagree with this comment, tried one of these frozen curry's and it tasted like thick onion soup with a couple of spices thrown in it, so bad that I threw it away, also given the present exchange rate at over three pounds it was well overpriced, also have tried neroys were all of his curries taste the same and also the Tikka centre on Soi Bukhao which was the worst Tikka Masala I have ever been served from a restuarant, a friend of mine reckons that the Indian at the FoodWave at the Royal Garden is good, so might give them a try.

Anyone tried that fairly new place in Soi Pattayaland 2 (soi 13/4)? I think it's called the Maharaja. Looks a bit up-market but always seems to be devoid of customers whenever I walk by.

DM

I have been there twice, I am no expert in Indian food, but it tasted really good the first time and ok the second time.

It is rather expensive and that might be the reason why you don't see too many people.