Retirement visa requirements the same except

At the risk of this thread getting blocked or deleted... AGAIN, here is my experience of renewing my Retirement Visa.

Last week, went to Imm. Office, (smartly dressed and smiling) to get the extension forms for my ext. visa due this week, and while there the Officer went through all the requirements on the list. When we got to the Bank account details, they were VERY insistant that this was important. Ok I said, no problem I have the required amount. "Well exactly HOW MUCH have you got" they said. I told them 850k, to which they replied that they would "PREFER" to see 1 Million in the account!!

Errr... exactly what do you mean I said??? Just that it "makes it easier" was the reply.

Ok I left that one, and said all I need now is to get the medical certificate. No no they said, you only need that for the FIRST visa. NOT when you extend it. Excellent news I thought........hahahaha

So, filled out the form, took along all that was required in the way of photos, letter from Bank, copies by the dozen, money etc.

Went back on the appointed day.

The place was very busy with a lot of very worried  and annoyed looking farangs, all trying to be very polite, but totally frustrated too.

It came to my turn, and sat down with the Imm Officer who went through everything, and said, "where is the medical cert?

Smiling beautifully, I said I didn't think I needed one, but they said, oh yes EVERYBODY has to have one of those. OK, "This is Thailand. No Problem.

While I am sitting there, every time another farang came in,  one or the other of the officers would say in a very loud voice "Thailand only wants RICH farangs here now. Many farangs can not stay in Thailand if they not have money"

There were many farangs there who had obviously not had the up to the minute info, but none of us appreciated being told that if we were not rich, we were not welcome.

The question being, WAS IT REALLY NECESSARY? to shout it out in an office full of already worried and frustrated people.

And if 800k is not sufficient now, is the "unofficial figure" to be 1 Million, or do we have to depend on whether the Immigration Officer gets up in a good or bad mood in the morning?

Before you flame this, consider that I DID get the extension, so this is not written in a fit of pique, but is an accurate albeit shameful account of the experience.

interesting read...i assume you reside in udon thani and this was the experience you had there.

i am about to file for an initial retirement extension here in pattaya within the next couple weeks and report my experience.

maybe they would prefer we all cough-up B1 million for a VIP card.  probably will start selling them at immigration offices as i read there is a commission for the sellers of these cards.

JonnieB.   No, I used to live in Udon when I first registered here, but am still in Issan. Probably much the same everywhere.

Maybe he only wants you to have the extra 200,000 Baht when you go into his office, but not when you come back out.

TizMe...Like that one... :o ....Very likely!

Maybe as stated if you have extra cash sitting in the bank

they do not have to review your account status. If you have just enough maybe you are using someone elses money just to get the visa with no regard to the requirements.

You are doing the immigration officers no favors by being in

their country other than spending money.

Who knows, as Thailand becoming one of the major players in the asian markets they do not need third class citizen. Living half way around the world from your home country is a benefit to you not to them. The sooner some realize the current situation the easier it will be for them. No one wants an out of work person from a foreign country unless they can provide for themselves to the same standard as back home.

Living in Thailand because it is cheap is no longer the present climate or accepted agenda.

If you like the weather, people and living standards in Thailand earn your right as a foreigner to stay long term.

Nothing more nothing less. The rules have not changed much.

If you are in Thailand more than your home country you are probably not a tourist regardless of what visa you try to squeak by on.  Why does immigration have to explain this to people who have been in country for years.

The common attitude they cannot survive without us will soon be a thing of the past. You have to be on their terms not yours. They want the international atmosphere to be appealing not distracting.

All farangs, non-Thai and so-called third class citizens beware, KHUN is not happy with you staying in Thailand.

Thaksin has set a goal to outdo Malaysia by reaching developed-country status before 2020.

Give them a little status they think they are almighty.. :o