Getting a work visa

now want to buy 50 rai of land. but also want to buy a house. I've done the math and I have the cash to buy land and house, but know nothing of imigration or visas. I've been in thailand now for 2 months and will be married in 2 days to a thai. I'm 29 and she is 31. is there anyone in this forum with some useful tips or not

what is your nationality and are you married to a Thai ?

Appreciate if anyone can explain why Nationality of a Foreigner matter when buying a Property in Thailand?.

I know Nationality matters when deciding the Minimum Salaries for Foreigners working in Thailand at the time of Applying for a Work Permit.

Also the Age of the Foreigner..Is it a Factor they consider ?

Hope I have not misunderstood it.

It makes no difference at all Kwiz... a foreigner is a foreiger in respect of property acquisition. Generally speaking, foreigner's can only buy condominiums. I ask nationality because in some circumstances an American enjoys a favoured situation in Thailand. Whether the person is married to a Thai, is 50 yrs or more, or is working or has investor status determines their visa status. This guy has no real visa status, he is only on a permit of 30 days, so no point in asking the extra questions.

Guest IT Manager
BTW FYI Kwiz, the elephantiasis and leprosy questions are asked for work permit. I asked about the herpes in case he is a lowlife.

Usual response from me for farang planning to buy land etc. Others will talk about the legal hoops etc., but on a more basic level, you've been here two months, you're still on holiday. Hold fire for six months minimum, see how you feel then.

Oh, where is the land, deep in the countryside, or near a major town? Try and live there by renting somewhere near where you are going to live.

P.S. What are you going to live on?

BTW FYI Kwiz, the elephantiasis and leprosy questions are asked for work permit. I asked about the herpes in case he is a lowlife.

:o  :D  B)

Is this real or you are joking ??

I have never submitted any medical certificate to obtain my Work Permit.

I have obtained 2 Work Permits during last 2.5 Yrs from 2 Different Companies.

Anyway if they really check, I think it is good for Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...
now want to buy 50 rai of land. but also want to buy a house. I've done the math and I have the cash to buy land and house, but know nothing of imigration or visas. I've been in thailand now for 2 months and will be married in 2 days to a thai. I'm 29 and she is 31. is there anyone in this forum with some useful tips or not

as Ive said before I want to buy 50 rai of rubber tree land in Buri ram. its ready for cutting. im getting married in 2 days. im 29 she is 31. i also want to buy a house. can I get some useful advice or not? what visas do I need. my e-mail is [email protected]. please be in touch soon. somebody,anybody! ??? [email protected]

After your marriage is registered you should leave Thailand and obtain a non-immigrant class O visa on the basis of marriage.  You will need the marriage certificate and perhaps wife's id card/letter that you are together.  Or have her go with you to Penang.  I assume you do have paperwork to allow marriage from Foreign Ministry?

You can not own land in Thailand, even with this visa.  Only a condo can be directly owned by a foreigner.

I want to buy 50 rai of rubber tree land in Buri ram. its ready for cutting.

DON'T.

1) Who owns it now? Why do they want to sell so quickly, and why do you want to buy so quickly?

2) What is the price? How do you know if you are getting a good deal? You are a farang in rural Buriram, you ARE being ripped off, but by how much? I know, I worked there for two years, saw tons of farang getting being fleeced.

3) What do you know about rubber trees?

4) How long have you spent in Thailand, and how long have you known her?

Guest IT Manager

My son just read lowlifes post.. His response, for your edification Dr, was, Dtollay.

I can do little but agree. Perhaps he is greaser or gfukt in another form?

if i can't own land can I invest in land?

my father recently died and I have inherited money,

i would like to live in thailand, using the rubber as my source of income. I do have some money to live on until this starts going.

Lowlife

Stop immediately!!!!!!!    Sorry about your father.

Good advice.. Adopt me as a father figure or grandfather real cheap (how much is the inheritance.... joking).

You can live many years (maybe) on your inheritance

without losing it like you most likely are about to do.

Unless you are going to do something other than start a

nudist/buffalo camp slow down and smell the coffee.

We know the pressure is on and family from all over asia are on the way, but you need to explain to them new farang law back home only lets you get a little money each year. Lets see if the marriage is still on then.

I was in Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago in CARREFOUR and a girl was taking a survey and talking to farang,she asked me a bunch of questions as to my personal pref. about buying houses and water delivery and a bunch of sh*t,and informed me that it was now legal for a farang to own property,I didn't ask her the laws tho. as I have already asked the amphur for my house papers and the house and property is in my wifes name.

######, Why would herpes make the guy[he says he is 29] a lowlife? Herpes is a very old virus,not new as a lot of people think,even the dino's had herpes,if you have had a cold sore on your lip,you will have the herpes tracers in your blood as cold sores are herpes, I have a re-occuring cold sore that pops on the corner of my mouth when ever I am stressed that I got from a kansas sweety thru heavy slobber swapping when I was in my mid teens who had a cold sore, But can be controled by taking L-LYSINE when ever it pops up. :o

and informed me that it was now legal for a farang to own property

Sounds more like you were subject to a property pre-sales pitch made out as a survey.  The laws have not changed.  There are some grey area work around's as in all such things.  Be VERY suspect of cute young ladies taking surveys of foreigners; although they may not even be aware of what they are doing. :o

I really do not know if buying in Thailand is a good idea even if getting a good price. Rent is very cheap and if you invest

the money it would pay for most and have greater freedom

without the worry. I do know a person who has a rubber tree

place something like 40 ria but is having a heck of a time getting the family off who has built several houses and are now home steading along with getting the money for the rubber. He cannot ever plan on living there being a foreigner

because of the danger. His idea was rather than pass out money to the wifes family he would get them the land but it

did not work out so far I guess.

Doc P I think I will just leave my money at home and visit the money tree ( ATM ) when I need some. No rubber trees in my near future

Doc P

The people I have known for a long time that more or less retired to thailand and vacation back home are moving on now. They are not into the late nightlife nor do they mind living in a high tourist area. They said the atmosphere has really turned bad and it is one scam or hussle after another.

They say everyone and their brother is trying to live in Thailand and where we were once thought of as being an asset we are now a bother . They think alot of it has to do with people that in no way would try to live on, or how they do in Thailand, would not do it back home.