Sliding Ladder

orangezeke

hello,

i am on the prowl for a sliding ladder. you know the kind, with wheels at the bottom and a slide rail at the top. i don't want one to be manufactured especially, i had a quote prepared and i just about fell over:

stainless steel with aluminum treads - THB 36,000.

i am thinking only 2m high with a sliding range of 4m. has anyone seen an assembly kit type around ? are there any department stores with them on display ? i stumbled across this one at the new scg building on ram intra.

ta

post-67503-1248234267_thumb.jpg

hello,

i am on the prowl for a sliding ladder. you know the kind, with wheels at the bottom and a slide rail at the top. i don't want one to be manufactured especially, i had a quote prepared and i just about fell over:

i am thinking only 2m high with a sliding range of 4m. has anyone seen an assembly kit type around ? are there any department stores with them on display ? i stumbled across this one at the new scg building on ram intra.

ta

Sorry, not seen any like that for sale, will keep a lookout. Might seem an obvious question, and I'm not trying to insult you, but did you try asking them where they sourced their ladders from?

haha...it is a fair question. and the answer is yes, i did ask. they were not forthcoming but i took down what information i could while i was standing there. (it could have had something to do with the language barrier, or that i was simply asking the wrong person)

anyhow, when i got home i rang the company - Hafele. they are charging THB 66,000 for the model you see in the photo. they have another model with hooks on the top that simply hangs off a steel cross member. you have to pick it off the floor and slide it along - THB 44,000.

ive dismissed then outright. instead, tonight i wondered into homepro and had a look at ladders. surely it would be cheaper to buy a nice one and just tack some wheels on the bottom and a rail on the top ? there must be local manufacturers who could do that.

Orangezeke,

Wow, they are some hefty quotes. I can see why you dismissed them. Maybe next time the mrs or a friendly Thai can go do the bartering whilst you stay out of sight.

If you can source a ladder then yes, there are many metal work places spread around here in BKK. I'm sure there will be others near you. As almost anything is possible here I'd guess one of them would do the work. You might even think about trying a sliding door place as they might have most of the parts you'd/they'd need to adapt to fit your ladder.

Good luck.

hello,

ta

Unless you are looking for one for industrial use (e.g., restocking shelves on a continuous basis by 200lb stock boys who don't care) why not look into having a really nice, attactive wooden one made? Looking at your photo, it would be easy to duplicate that ladder in wood, stain it to match the shelves, and have a nice looking "ensemble". It would be cheap in Chiangmai; don't know about BKK.

Added thought/question: of course, you have to factor in the rail, also.

Edited by noise