Crackdown At Suvarnabhumi From July 28

churchill

It's great if they actually do something, though it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that the catalyst for this was two people who paid a bribe to avoid jail time after being caught stealing.

A few more than two, mate. 'Dodgy Tony', the Sri-Lankan face man, talked of liberating over 150 people along with a boat load of ackers :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that annoys me at Sawanaphumi is the Taxi touts and the taxi setup in general. The whole system of taxis at the airport needs urgent attention.

PS. Don Mueng had a better Taxi service!

From the yellow and red shirt incident, how can anyone even trust that police do anything right for the benefit of the public? They are the biggest gang in Thailand

To a Thai government minister, it actually makes a great deal of sense to announce clearly the date and details of the "crackdown" well in advance. The scammers can then all book themselves a well-earned holiday, maybe check out a few new touristy spots to set up some new scams. The great "crackdown" then proceeds, and a few fall guys will be duly sacrificed, probably because they didn't contribute enough of their ill-gotten gains to the right higher ups! The Minister of Transport will then proudly announce with a great big face-saving grin how little scamming was found, and hasn't he been doing a wonderful job as Minister!

To a Thai government minister, it actually makes a great deal of sense to announce clearly the date and details of the "crackdown" well in advance. The scammers can then all book themselves a well-earned holiday, maybe check out a few new touristy spots to set up some new scams. The great "crackdown" then proceeds, and a few fall guys will be duly sacrificed, probably because they didn't contribute enough of their ill-gotten gains to the right higher ups! The Minister of Transport will then proudly announce with a great big face-saving grin how little scamming was found, and hasn't he been doing a wonderful job as Minister!

That would sound about right, just like the buffoon from the Junta who went to Panthip and declared that there were no counterfeit goods available. :)

It's just the usual Somchai posturing, to be seen to be doing something to save face. No intent, just a load of BS.

By Police admission, three 'mafia' groups control the airport.

So much more than just this show is needed unfortunately.

1) BIB :)

2) Tourist Police

3) AOT

Think there might be a few more that I have missed.

From the beginning, the AOT has colluded with the transport mafia to fleece visitors.

Remember, the original plan? They wanted to have zero taxis at the airport, insisting travelers take their 900 bt AOT taxi or lug your stuff onto a bus that take you to a taxi terminal, 3 kilometers away.

Yes, that was the plan.

They were then forced to provide taxi access but had them stationed on a different floor than arrivals...with no signs!

Now, they allow a bunch of punks to harass anybody that doesn't take their service.

The only thing that annoys me at Sawanaphumi is the Taxi touts and the taxi setup in general. The whole system of taxis at the airport needs urgent attention.

I am convinced that most of the former users of Don Mueang prefer that airport.

From the yellow and red shirt incident, how can anyone even trust that police do anything right for the benefit of the public? They are the biggest gang in Thailand

Wasn't there a UN report mentioning the police in Thailand?

From the beginning, the AOT has colluded with the transport mafia to fleece visitors.

Remember, the original plan? They wanted to have zero taxis at the airport, insisting travelers take their 900 bt AOT taxi or lug your stuff onto a bus that take you to a taxi terminal, 3 kilometers away.

Yes, that was the plan.

They were then forced to provide taxi access but had them stationed on a different floor than arrivals...with no signs!

Now, they allow a bunch of punks to harass anybody that doesn't take their service.

Well I certainly wouldn't say I was "anybody", but I have never been harassed at Swampy, by punks or anyone else :)

But I guess it helps if you are neither paranoid, nor obsessive :D

Well I certainly wouldn't say I was "anybody", but I have never been harassed at Swampy, by punks or anyone else :)

Yes we know, you mention it on every thread along with your attempts to belittle those that have.

Yes we know, you mention it on every thread along with your attempts to belittle those that have.

So where would you classify yourself?

Edited by jackspratt

I am in the minority, but I think it is nice that they are letting them know, so they can clear out. Despite the annoyance they cause, most of the people involved are very poor, and don't know any better. There but for the grace of God go I.

You got it right! :) Good ol' Don...

There is nothing to crackdown.

No Farang is stupid enough to shoplift in a foreign land.

i own 3 shops in surat thani province and i have problems with shoplifters every month. you would be very suprised at what 'farang' do in a foreign land

At arrivals why does anyone in the first place have to pay 50 baht? That in itself is an indicator of the corruption plaguing this place.

Also - on the several ocassions I have been there - it looks like they eye up those in the queue - looking for individuals or couples they can best cheat and to what extent.

If you look like you're a soft touch and expensive then you're goin' to have a problem.

Hi All.

I think it is time to have a good look at the Thai police force, And starting at the top move a lot of officers of all ranks sideways , down, and just plain sacked. I doubt it will happen but it has to be cleaned up ,So might as well start now.

phupaman

Need to start at the top first.

And if somebody more industrious than myself were to do a poll I reckon there would be an overwhelming vote in favour of Don M.

I fly in on 3rd August business as usual no doubt, so thats me up to departures to grab a cab on the run. :)

Edited by roamer

A major crackdown on illegal taxis and unlicensed guides will be conducted at Suvarnabhumi airport starting July 28, according to a notice put up by the Airports of Thailand Plc in the airport on Wednesday.

The crackdown will be jointly carried out by AoT, Land Transport Department and Special Operations Division, provincial and tourist police.

The move came after Transport Minister Sohpon Zarum made an inspection trip to the airport and ordered the AoT to step up measures to prevent extortion gangs preying on foreign air passengers.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 22/07/09http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/149836/crackdown-at-suvarnabhumi-from-july-28

Wow now dosen't that give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside? The Transport minister loves and cares about Farangs. :)

They get their marching orders from a hugher source.

By Police admission, three 'mafia' groups control the airport.

So much more than just this show is needed unfortunately.

1) BIB :)

2) Tourist Police

3) AOT

Think there might be a few more that I have missed.

Yes, you are right

Bangkok Post today:

Illegal taxis, guides win short reprieve

Writer: AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

Published: 28/07/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) is renewing its pledge to crack down on illegal tour guides and taxis operating at Suvarnabhumi airport.

Visoot Chanthana, director for transport management at Suvarnabhumi, said AoT would start cracking down on illegal tour guides and taxis from next month.

It initially planned to start getting tough on them this week.

AoT staff, together with officials from the Land Transport Department and local police, will be watching the passenger terminal around the clock, especially during peak hours when most flights land and take off.

Arrests would be made immediately if the guides and taxis were seen picking up arrivals at the airport, he said.

AoT chairman Piyaphan Champasut wants the illegal guides and taxis out because he feels they are a nuisance, Mr Visoot said.

These operators have gradually expanded their operations from the arrivals lounge on the second floor of the terminal to the first and fourth floors, he said.

Authorities have been armed with ne cessary information on the illegal operators and will review their suppression measures tomorrow.

There are more than 40 illegal taxis alone.

The AoT has been lenient in the past and earmarked a zone to allow the unauthorised operations. However, the zone was not taken seriously. So, the AoT has resolved to get rid of them, Mr Visoot said.

An AoT source said it was hard to stop the illegal operations because most of those involved were either related to or close to AoT staff.

Some illegal tour guides also claim to be representatives of tour companies and use temporary passes to pick up tourists from no-go zones. The temporary cards have now been revoked for tour companies.

A tour company source said AoT authorities were resorting to strict action only against tour company guides, not the illegal tour guides.

Even if the illegal guides are seen shouting between floors to draw the attention of passengers when the AoT inspectors are around, no action is taken, he said.

Illegal guides can also be seen in baggage claim areas. Without the help of AoT employees, no one could enter these restricted areas, the source said.

...Illegal guides can also be seen in baggage claim areas. Without the help of AoT employees, no one could enter these restricted areas, the source said.

There you go. This will never end. Maybe put on hold for a bit, but the illegal guides are here to stay.

TheWalkingMan

Interesting that this was posted at 07:08 AM

Writer: AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

Published: 28/07/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

Going by the context of the article it may prove that AoT are reading tea leaves, just forseeing into the future and hopeing it all goes away.

Brilliant, dont you just love it....on the day the 'crackdown' is supposed to start they announce that it is being postponed for a month.

FAIL

Of course it has to be delayed, everyone needs more time to synchronise their a_rse covering stories, we don't want anyone to lose face during the 'crackdown"