Bank Of Ayudhya Discriminates Against Foreigners?

Well this is just my opinion, but from the facts I've gathered, there seems to be sufficient evidence that Bank of Ayudhya discriminates against foreigners. I have had a credit card with them for over a year. I pay on time every month and usually well over the minimum payment. The total limit is 60,000 Baht. My documented income in Thailand is more than double this. I have a permanent address here, permanent full time job, work permit etc. Two weeks ago I asked them to increase the credit limit. I travel frequently and 60,000 is usually not enough to cover my expenses - it's just a matter of convenience.

They rejected my request and refused to tell me why. I pointed out that my Thai friends make 20-30,000 Baht a month and have a credit line of over 60,000 Baht. I asked if their decision was based on the fact that I was a foreigner and they refused to answer. So is this just another case of being discriminated against as a foreigner in Thailand or am I thinking too much? Sure, they have the right to their policies, but after this experience I will certainly never give Bank of Ayudhya any significant amount of my business.

Well this is just my opinion, but from the facts I've gathered, there seems to be sufficient evidence that Bank of Ayudhya discriminates against foreigners. I have had a credit card with them for over a year. I pay on time every month and usually well over the minimum payment. The total limit is 60,000 Baht. My documented income in Thailand is more than double this. I have a permanent address here, permanent full time job, work permit etc. Two weeks ago I asked them to increase the credit limit. I travel frequently and 60,000 is usually not enough to cover my expenses - it's just a matter of convenience.

They rejected my request and refused to tell me why. I pointed out that my Thai friends make 20-30,000 Baht a month and have a credit line of over 60,000 Baht. I asked if their decision was based on the fact that I was a foreigner and they refused to answer. So is this just another case of being discriminated against as a foreigner in Thailand or am I thinking too much? Sure, they have the right to their policies, but after this experience I will certainly never give Bank of Ayudhya any significant amount of my business.

It is because you are a foreigner and can leave the country whenever you want to. The same reason why foreigners don't get a loan or mortgage here. It is even difficult for a foreigner to get a credit card here at all. Mostly they are debit cards which means as long as you have enough money in your account you can pay with it. No limit at all.

You are absolutely correct--I have lived in Thailand over 40 years as an expat and have tried several times to contact Bank of Ayuthaya RE opening accounts. The most recent was 3 months ago. They are hostile at all outlets. Never Again!! Terrible people!

My 1st account was with them. opened in Huahin. no problems at all. only took about 5 minutes, smiles all round.

All banks here have rules for Thais and different rules for foreigners. Its not rocket science to understand why. It's probably the same back in your home country.

Oh and i do have an account and Auto loan with SCB as well.

Edited by thaicbr

Your salary puts you in the top 10% of people on the planet. You should feel lucky and grateful and be looking for ways to help others less fortunate. Instead you simmer with resentment and greed for an even bigger piece of the pie. Instead of feeling overwhelmed at what the gods have granted you, you are overwhelmed with feelings that you have been discriminated against. Read a spiritual book, any spiritual book; there is a solution.

You are absolutely correct--I have lived in Thailand over 40 years as an expat and have tried several times to contact Bank of Ayuthaya RE opening accounts. The most recent was 3 months ago. They are hostile at all outlets. Never Again!! Terrible people!

I think this sums it up. You have a documented 40 year history here and they still consider you a flight risk. Have you found any banks here to be foreigner friendly?

Again, the banks can enact whatever policies they want, and in turn, the honest, long time expats here with money can choose not to give their business to these banks.

Your salary puts you in the top 10% of people on the planet. You should feel lucky and grateful and be looking for ways to help others less fortunate. Instead you simmer with resentment and greed for an even bigger piece of the pie. Instead of feeling overwhelmed at what the gods have granted you, you are overwhelmed with feelings that you have been discriminated against. Read a spiritual book, any spiritual book; there is a solution.

I simmer with resentment and greed? Hmm... I thought I was just hoping to plan my business trips more conveniently.

This forum sure has begun to attract some interesting characters. Does anyone else remember how friendly and helpful this place was in the good old days? Oh well. All good things come to an end.

My 1st account was with them. opened in Huahin. no problems at all. only took about 5 minutes, smiles all round.

All banks here have rules for Thais and different rules for foreigners. Its not rocket science to understand why. It's probably the same back in your home country.

I'm a foreigner in the UK and yet my bank there treats me the same as British citizens get treated.  So, no it's not like that everywhere at all.

I'm a foreigner in the UK and yet my bank there treats me the same as British citizens get treated.  So, no it's not like that everywhere at all.

Exactly. It works the same way in the US. The same criteria is used regardless of home country.

Yes but Terra Posse the British banks have some of the most advanced credit vetting systems in the world. Tell me can you get a credit card or a loan. what visa are you in the UK on. Are you a Euro citizen .

Edited by thaicbr

I'm a foreigner in the UK and yet my bank there treats me the same as British citizens get treated. So, no it's not like that everywhere at all.

Exactly. It works the same way in the US. The same criteria is used regardless of home country.

So in the States i can go and open a bank account on a tourist visa and get a credit card. yer right

I'm a foreigner in the UK and yet my bank there treats me the same as British citizens get treated. So, no it's not like that everywhere at all.

So in the States i can go and open a bank account on a tourist visa and get a credit card. yer right

I'm talking about people like me with a work permit, non-im B visa, years and years of bank statements, tax receipts, and a permanent address of over 5 years. If you're on a tourist visa, you won't get and shouldn't get a credit card in any country.

But CMT you got a credit card. your just belly aching that they wouldnt put up your credit limit. You stated yourself that you only pay some of the amount of each month (not all). Also if you travel use cash that magic stuff made from paper. You got a credit card so think yourself lucky and stop bitching about discrimination. All banks here do have different rules for non-Thai's. its a known fact. get used to it.

Is there such as thing as discrimination in thailand ?....what i mean is i dont think they understand that word,. however im surprised anyone that isnt a thai national/citizen can get a card/loan ,you wouldnt get a loan as a foreigner in the uk,.you have to be a uk citizen,.and unless youve taken citizenship in thailand you are here temporarily and i consider veiwed as a bad risk,.by the way this is how i think they veiw it, not me,. :)

Lucky to have a credit card issued in Thailand, not so easy. They give to me only 40.000 on a 100.000 bath income.

you have to go to Pattaya.

I made a Credit Card with Siam Comm.Bank in Pattaya (THB 20'000 , in the year 2003): they didn't asked to me any particular guarantee. They just asked to me to put into my account, at least THB 3'000.

Personally I think the OP is lucky to have a credit card in the first place. I had to put 100k into savings account at Bangkok bank, just to receive a 'so called' 50K line of credit. Once my 50K limit is reached, they cut off my credit. They still have the 100K which is locked into the savings account as security.

regards Bojo

I have never met any difficulties in having credit cards here... I have currently 3 credit cards for a total credit line of 3 times my salary. Every time i applied, they gave me my salary as a credit limit. All credit cards have been given quite easily at SCB / Citibank & Kasikorn. If you don't have any payment issues, then i guess you can get as many credit cards as you wish...

I agree that Krungsri is not very foreigner-friendly as they have refused me each time i applied (not enough work permit time...), so i've given up.

Is there such as thing as discrimination in thailand ?....what i mean is i dont think they understand that word,. however im surprised anyone that isnt a thai national/citizen can get a card/loan ,you wouldnt get a loan as a foreigner in the uk,.you have to be a uk citizen,.and unless youve taken citizenship in thailand you are here temporarily and i consider veiwed as a bad risk,.by the way this is how i think they veiw it, not me,. :D

Correction, you will need to be a UK resident only.  I'm not a UK citizen yet have had loans and have CC from my UK bank.  Needed to increase the limit on my CC 2 years ago to pay for some hospital bills whilst in BKK, just a phone call to the UK and it was done.  Certainly no discrimination of any sort whilst I have been living in the UK.

The OP as I understand is a Thai resident (well, getting citizenship is night on impossible anyway :) ), so being treated like that I would change my bank (I know not the easiest of undertakings either in LoS but if he's got all the paper work he should find somewhere a bit more unbiased surely.  :D )  Then again...

I have an account with them(nongkhai)

for my retirement visa i needed a statement........no sweat ....untill last year they flatly refused......anyway.....i insisted,to say the least.....in thai language..........up till now i know of 2 personal friend who had to withdraw their account....they couldnt get trough.

In my case it was the assumption by them that i wanted a bankguarantee.

Hope they will be lean on me next year.

apart from that ....for me the best bank there is.

hgma

I simmer with resentment and greed? Hmm... I thought I was just hoping to plan my business trips more conveniently.

This forum sure has begun to attract some interesting characters. Does anyone else remember how friendly and helpful this place was in the good old days? Oh well. All good things come to an end.

hopefully your unjustified whining too.

I'm talking about people like me with a work permit, non-im B visa, years and years of bank statements, tax receipts, and a permanent address of over 5 years. If you're on a tourist visa, you won't get and shouldn't get a credit card in any country.

I have always found Bangkok Bank to be OK, they gave initially gave me a 100k credit line but keep increasing it even without my request. Main thing is that I pay 100% each month.

Is there such as thing as discrimination in thailand ?....what i mean is i dont think they understand that word,. however im surprised anyone that isnt a thai national/citizen can get a card/loan ,you wouldnt get a loan as a foreigner in the uk,.you have to be a uk citizen,.and unless youve taken citizenship in thailand you are here temporarily and i consider veiwed as a bad risk,.by the way this is how i think they veiw it, not me,. :D

Correction, you will need to be a UK resident only.  I'm not a UK citizen yet have had loans and have CC from my UK bank.  Needed to increase the limit on my CC 2 years ago to pay for some hospital bills whilst in BKK, just a phone call to the UK and it was done.  Certainly no discrimination of any sort whilst I have been living in the UK.

The OP as I understand is a Thai resident (well, getting citizenship is night on impossible anyway :) ), so being treated like that I would change my bank (I know not the easiest of undertakings either in LoS but if he's got all the paper work he should find somewhere a bit more unbiased surely.  :D )  Then again...

I am not and never have been a resident or citizen of the UK.

I have even never lived in the UK.

But I do have a Natwest account.

And I do have a creditcard with a credit limit of 6500 Pounds.

Income from outside Thailand, well, let us say sufficient.

On yearly extensions for marriage and taking care of 3 children.

But no credit card.

TMB even did not want to open an account, because I have no work permit and do not work.

Up to them!

I used to work in a field where our clients would often throw around a claim of discrimination if something didn't go their way. From what you've said in this post, I think claiming discrimination is reckless since you have absolutely no evidence.

I don't see you simmering with greed, but perhaps with a little resentment.

I think some people don't know the difference between credit and debit cards.

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but a few years ago I was going on an extended trip and knew I would go over my limit on one of my credit cards. So, I paid $3,000 before I charged a penny. Therefore, when I went over my limit, I was still okay because I didn't go over my limit plus the $3,000 I had already paid into my credit card.