Blue Ray And Linux

PastEgo

i use jaunty and am thinking of buying a blue ray burner (LG GGW-H20L) i need a bit of info if anyone knows

do i need any special drivers or will it auto recognise the drive when i change it with my current dvd drive

burning double layer bd-r discs , do i need any special software or will the brasero burning sw be enough?

because archiving large amounts of data is expensive and tape drives are really really expensive and dual layer blue ray discs i can pick up for less than $10 on ebay for sony discs made in japan

storing 50gb for under $10 isn't bad value and its better than having 10xdvds

How much does a BR burner cost as compared to a 5400rpm ide drive of 1TB?  (<>3950Baht)   20 disk alone at @$10.00 cost 6800baht for the same storage amount.   add in the burner cost to that   How many times before the next burn won't read, a drive is cheaper in the long run and it works, it a lot faster and easier also.  vacuum pack it when its full.

heh heh i am asking for info about software for linux on writing blue ray disks and now am entangled in a "discussion" about the merits of hdds vs optical media

hdd are not infallible the main bit that goes wrong is the controller on them or actual surface errors or a head crash

i would rather get a scratch on an optical than lose 1tb totally and no i cant send the hdd to get it recovered because downloaded music and films are illegal and although there

is the risk that you may get reported for piracy by the firm that does the data recovery you are still taking a chance

so a good brand optical disk even at $10 a throw with an archive life of 50 years and a decent burner

Hoo Boy - I didnt either - but, there is absolutely no comp - I must have hundreds of CD/DVD - please dont insult my intelligence by going down the brand road, especially from somebody who is ripping IP - that dont work - I am not alone either - but only have one or two lousy IBM Travelstars that I will not use as boot drives - they are 7/8 years old, but store data perfectly. The failure rate on 3.5 was horrendous. I dont even vacpac them - they travel with me all over the world. Yes - they only contain music/video - the real important stuff is on fresher HDD - here and on my servers.

Bubba

Blu-Ray has been supported in the userland since at least March 08. I could be wrong, but I believe that there is even support in the kernel now. I don't use brasero (perfer K3B..but let's not start a Gnome/KDE war also!) but K3B alpha now supports Blu-Ray burning (actually supported it prior due to UDF support, but recognising the media was an issue). There is of course NeroLinux that offers awesome support; if it doesn't do everything you need, you can always create an iso with the programme that does and then burn the iso with NeroLinux.

And I agree with the others; going with physical discs is a bad idea. 30 GB sounds like a lot, but isn't really. You can find 100 GB (200 GB compressed) tape drives for less than 100 USD on ebay. The tapes are 30 USD each. So for the price of ~3 of your blu-ray discs (I'm assuming you're talking about single layer, 25 GB, for 10 USD?), you get 15-120 MB/s reads/writes, 15-30 years life (real life!), and over 200 full writes. Oh, you also get between 33-67% more capacity. Finally the tapes are only 102.0 x 105.4 x 21.5 mm or 4 x 4.1 x 0.9 inches in size. Tapes aren't only for geeks!

Edited by dave_boo

i had a bad experience with tapes a while ago when i was back home at work, we got rid of an old tape drive and the new one could not read the tape

the other thing is that tapes are sequential not random access and they are slow

tapes can go wrong as everything can nothing is perfect and i am getting 50gb disks for about $9 dollars

i must disagree with verybadbubba brand does count a hel_l of a lot of discs , i won't touch princo, ritek, ridata or any of the other cheap rubbish they are produced so cheaply and even visually you can tell they don't have the same quality as makes such as tdk, sony, verbatim

a good quality disc costs more and some manufacturers stand by their discs and give guarenteed life of the disc

i had a bad experience with tapes a while ago when i was back home at work, we got rid of an old tape drive and the new one could not read the tape

Were you using the same specc'd drives? I.E. not trying to put DLT into LTO?

the other thing is that tapes are sequential not random access and they are slow

I forgot, what is the maximum read speed of Blu-Ray? And the maximum read speed of LTO? (Here's a hint, the read speed tops out at 12x--only 54 MB/s--I've only seen 2x writers--9 MB/s while LTO-3, released back in 2005, has a minimum of mid 30 MB/s). And the sequential is a red herring....just how sequential are Blu-Rays? If you have a harddrive go down (and IIRC, that's the point in having back-ups), you're going to need the sequential reads anyways.

tapes can go wrong as everything can nothing is perfect and i am getting 50gb disks for about $9 dollars

i must disagree with verybadbubba brand does count a hel_l of a lot of discs , i won't touch princo, ritek, ridata or any of the other cheap rubbish they are produced so cheaply and even visually you can tell they don't have the same quality as makes such as tdk, sony, verbatim

Don't know how you found 50GB so cheap, but please do report back on their longevity as well as any percentage of defective from the package discs.

a good quality disc costs more and some manufacturers stand by their discs and give guarenteed life of the disc

there is a seller on ebay selling various media, he is located in japan and sells japan produced disks only. the shipping is also free to thailand

the seller is selling 20x sony dual layered for 187 dollars not in a tub but in their own sleeves etc also has a very high rating, these are BD-E not the rewritables they are a bit more in price

I do see the sakura dot jp has 50GB discs available for ~9 USD each....didn't know they had gotten so cheap!

Still think the world is better of using tape (but I'm getting to be an old nostaglic fart too---stay off the lawn), but F/OSS says that I need to respect your decision to be wrong :)

While the recording industry would love for the consumer to have to purchase and repurchase and repurchase again, whether through damage of their copy or moving to a new media, even the States hasn't gotten so crazy to prevent you from backing up your own media. Granted, under the DMCA, it's technically illegal to circumvent any DRM no case has gone to court for those who do it solely for their own enjoyment. If on the other hand you're ripping movies and sharing them there's a chance that could happen.....but why would those wanting to buy Blu-Ray discs and use them for archivial purchases do that?

• 2 months later...

We use a BluRay drive with Linux (currently Ubuntu 9.04) and the BR burner works nicely, we found that the OpenSource writer-software-packages on offering did not satisfy our needs and we therefore use Nero Linux 3.5.1 (we currently testing the new Nero Linux 4)

A large HDD is perfect for short-time backups, but for long-term backups nothing beats the BluRay disks, they easy, fast. Previous we worked with DAT-tapes but with this system we need to restore to get data back... with the BR disks we just pop-in the disk we need and brows the data ...

As I understand things the only issue with blu-ray support on linux is DRM on movies.....but this has a work around....search for RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD on the ubuntu forms. Don't know about posting links in this forum....I had a link to my site in my signature when I first joined Thaivisa and got booted after my first post.