Throttling The Family

Digitalbanana

What are easiest options for a family to share a single ADSL line Wifi distribution point in a home? Dad needs a bit more bandwidth than the kids to get his work done but the kids like all the high bandwidth multimedia sites. Is there a quick and easy way to control who gets what bandwidth besides the OFF switch?

What are easiest options for a family to share a single ADSL line Wifi distribution point in a home? Dad needs a bit more bandwidth than the kids to get his work done but the kids like all the high bandwidth multimedia sites. Is there a quick and easy way to control who gets what bandwidth besides the OFF switch?

Sounds to me the kids meed more than dad.

Either improve your package or get two providers. Always useful when one goes slow.

At the end of the day as usual , it all comes down to money!

regards Bojo

Sounds to me the kids meed more than dad.

Either improve your package or get two providers. Always useful when one goes slow.

At the end of the day as usual , it all comes down to money!

regards Bojo

What you want to do is very difficult or even impossible with most home routers.

One option maybe to give yourself a wired connection, and give the family a wireless connection and set it to the minimum performance which will limit their access.

But Bojo's option is probably the best if you really find you have a problem,

It's not too difficult using QOS in the Tomato firmware. You need a router compatible with Tomato, such as the Linksys WRT54GL which will cost you around 1,500 - 2,000 baht. The Tomato firmware is free to download. If you're completely clueless about networking then it's probably not a good idea to go this route, though it would be the cheapest.

the 54GL with tomato RAF mod ( I have the RAF, openVPN , SDHC on my main ) will allow you to throttle each MAC address

not too hard to do , but you must be prepared to read the forums to get it working how you want.

Interesting - can you provide a link?

When I previously tried this with tomato, I used the QOS controls to very little effect. My neighbor was downloading torrents, and I limited torrent downloads but I think he still managed to starve connections because as long as I didn't block him completely - which is very easy with tomato - he'd kill the connection for everybody.

Oh... I see "RAF mode" I guess I didn't have that ... :)

Edited by nikster

When I previously tried this with tomato, I used the QOS controls to very little effect. My neighbor was downloading torrents, and I limited torrent downloads but I think he still managed to starve connections because as long as I didn't block him completely - which is very easy with tomato - he'd kill the connection for everybody.

Make sure to read the QOS guide by Toastman, there's many aspects of QOS that are not entirely intuitive. He's prepared a great tutorial about it.

I had the same question some time ago but found a very cheap (free) and easy solution.

Whenever I need more speed I ask my son to throttle his downloads for a while which he does on the spot. Sometimes we have to compromise and I give him a few more minutes if he is close to completing a download.

To the OP:

Talk to your kids, don't use force (throttle / off). It will only frustrate and upset them.

Kids these days know very well how to check where the speed bottleneck is coming from.

opalhort

I had the same question some time ago but found a very cheap (free) and easy solution.

Whenever I need more speed I ask my son to throttle his downloads for a while which he does on the spot. Sometimes we have to compromise and I give him a few more minutes if he is close to completing a download.

To the OP:

Talk to your kids, don't use force (throttle / off). It will only frustrate and upset them.

Kids these days know very well how to check where the speed bottleneck is coming from.

opalhort

Oh yes, they will probably know more about the internet as you do.

But maybe they have an inkling who pays for the internet?

If I need the speed for my business, I talk to them, or just tell them to stop internetting, whatever.

And if talking does not help, I most certainly prefer to the children being frustrated & upset instead of me.