I Am Thinking Of Becoming A Teacher.

Hello everyone,

My current business is not going that well momentarily and I am thinking of becoming a teacher (like so many other foreigners in Thailand in similar situations). Besides this option I have been sending job applications to lots of other companies without any succes.

I am looking into the option of becoming an English teacher. However I wonder if it is really that easy (no offence) to become a teacher as I have seen so many foreigners who were saying they just did a course and became a teacher. If Thai people ask me what I do here they often mention "teacher" as well, so I guess there is a big demand for it.

This is what I would like to know:

1) Where do I start and what do I need as I have no certificates or anything.

2) I live outside Chiang Rai and was looking at this as an option, has anyone got any experience with them?

www.auathailand.org/chiangrai/AUA_Chianag_Rai/Studying.html"]http://www.auathailand.org/chiangrai/AUA_C...i/Studying.html[/url]

3) Any tips for newbies?

4) What kind of salary to expect? I need at least 35K-40K to cover living costs (got a house, wife, baby and teenage daughter of my wife to take care of)

5) My Thai is pretty good, do you need to speak a lot of Thai as well? My opinion is that if you cannot speak the Thai language you are not really able to "teach" your students. This is also a bit my own experience with my teenage daughter who I now send to a (Thai woman) tutor on Saturdays and Sundays. Any thoughts on this as well as it concerns me a bit.

Thank you all, please give advice only

Ruben

Hello everyone,

My current business is not going that well momentarily and I am thinking of becoming a teacher (like so many other foreigners in Thailand in similar situations). Besides this option I have been sending job applications to lots of other companies without any succes.

I am looking into the option of becoming an English teacher. However I wonder if it is really that easy (no offence) to become a teacher as I have seen so many foreigners who were saying they just did a course and became a teacher. If Thai people ask me what I do here they often mention "teacher" as well, so I guess there is a big demand for it.

2) I live outside Chiang Rai and was looking at this as an option, has anyone got any experience with them?

http://www.auathailand.org/chiangrai/AUA_C...i/Studying.html

3) Any tips for newbies?

4) What kind of salary to expect? I need at least 35K-40K to cover living costs (got a house, wife, baby and teenage daughter of my wife to take care of)

5) My Thai is pretty good, do you need to speak a lot of Thai as well? My opinion is that if you cannot speak the Thai language you are not really able to "teach" your students. This is also a bit my own experience with my teenage daughter who I now send to a (Thai woman) tutor on Saturdays and Sundays. Any thoughts on this as well as it concerns me a bit.

Ruben

You will get many different replies to your questions but here's mine. It really does depend on where you live in Thailand as to what the requirements are but I live in Chiang Rai and, although no expert, I know a bit about what the schools ask for.

Most, but not all, request native English speakers, usually with at least a Bachelors Degree. Obviously if you have a TEFL, teaching experience etc this is also an advantage. For many people it is very easy to actually start teaching but it's not something everyone can do and many people quit after a very short time or are fired.

Most schools up here don't pay 35-40k for a standard month, at least not for a newbie with no experience anyway. You would have to work a lot of extra hours to earn that sort of money. I can speak (some) Thai but I am told not to at school, only English. I know this is the case at most schools as well so that is not something to worry about. Do you send your teenage daughter to a tutor to learn English? If so, why don't you teach her?! It seems a bit strange that you are thinking of teaching, possibly very large classes, but you aren't able to teach your own daughter! Hope this helps a bit, good luck if you do decide to try, you're going to need it, teaching isn't easy!

Teacher_exam_1__1_.pdf

Well I hope I have uploaded this correctly! At a recent seminar we were given the attached information on the requirements to teach in Thailand, I reported that here and got banned for not quoting the source! Hopefully you can download it, it is in Thai and English so you need to scroll down for the English version, hope this helps and I don't get banned again!

Teacher_exam_1__1_.pdf

Well I hope I have uploaded this correctly! At a recent seminar we were given the attached information on the requirements to teach in Thailand, I reported that here and got banned for not quoting the source! Hopefully you can download it, it is in Thai and English so you need to scroll down for the English version, hope this helps and I don't get banned again!

I couldn't open it, 'damaged and could not be repaired' was the message I got. But if the op can open it he will see the 'official' requirements but as we all know, this is Thailand, and there are many teachers working legally here with the correct visa, work permits etc who don't meet all of the requirements listed.

Hello everyone,

3) Any tips for newbies?

Ruben

You will get many different replies to your questions but here's mine. It really does depend on where you live in Thailand as to what the requirements are but I live in Chiang Rai and, although no expert, I know a bit about what the schools ask for.

Most, but not all, request native English speakers, usually with at least a Bachelors Degree. Obviously if you have a TEFL, teaching experience etc this is also an advantage. For many people it is very easy to actually start teaching but it's not something everyone can do and many people quit after a very short time or are fired.

Most schools up here don't pay 35-40k for a standard month, at least not for a newbie with no experience anyway. You would have to work a lot of extra hours to earn that sort of money. I can speak (some) Thai but I am told not to at school, only English. I know this is the case at most schools as well so that is not something to worry about. Do you send your teenage daughter to a tutor to learn English? If so, why don't you teach her?! It seems a bit strange that you are thinking of teaching, possibly very large classes, but you aren't able to teach your own daughter! Hope this helps a bit, good luck if you do decide to try, you're going to need it, teaching isn't easy!

Thank you skybluestu. I am not an English speaking native and do not have a bachelors degree nor teaching experience. I was hoping it would be sufficient to start with a certificate I'll get from a course. I'm currently checking requirements but it seems indeed different each time I get some information. I guess it depends on the schools.

Regarding salray, I already figured, however I need to know what to expect. You have any ideas what normal salaries are here in CR for teaching?

I've send my daughter (along with 3 others) to that tutor before I considered the teaching option. I do help her with her homework. I do see your point though but there are not many options for me left regarding a proper income here. I really do not want to go back home just for work now that I have a baby here (and a house and a life etc.)

Teacher_exam_1__1_.pdf

Thanks for the info JohnC, I could open it.

Hello everyone,

3) Any tips for newbies?

Ruben

Thank you skybluestu. I am not an English speaking native and do not have a bachelors degree nor teaching experience. I was hoping it would be sufficient to start with a certificate I'll get from a course. I'm currently checking requirements but it seems indeed different each time I get some information. I guess it depends on the schools.

Regarding salray, I already figured, however I need to know what to expect. You have any ideas what normal salaries are here in CR for teaching?

I've send my daughter (along with 3 others) to that tutor before I considered the teaching option. I do help her with her homework. I do see your point though but there are not many options for me left regarding a proper income here. I really do not want to go back home just for work now that I have a baby here (and a house and a life etc.)

I understand your predicament tiptip, I wouldn't want to return 'home' either. I know there are non-native English speaking teachers working here in Thailand but most schools do ask for a native English speaker, they usually offer lower salaries to non-natives unless they are very well qualified/experienced and have some sort of English proficiency certificate.

Salaries can range from 20k per month up to 50k+ per month depending on a number of different things like experience, qualifications, place of work, extra hours and so on but I would say the average here for a normal working week is around 28-30k per month. Obviously if you can find extra work then this could increase significantly but you would have to put a lot of hours in to get the 35-40k you desire.

My neighbour was a German guy whose English was very very good and he also had a degree but he couldn't find work here as he wasn't a non-native, he recently returned to Germany with his wife and baby son to further his studies I believe.

Prior to worrying about qualification, certificates, etc why not volunteer at a wat school to see if you want to make this your profession? My daughter is required to do community service as a International student. This summer she is teaching English to 5 classes of students. After 1 1/2 months she is adamant that teaching will not be her life endeavor. Better to eliminate this as a possibility prior to entering University.

I call these types of people 'foul weather teachers.' They'll do anything else, but teach; time share, real estate sales, telemarketing, sales of any kind, consulting, freelance web design, you name it. When things go bad, they want to teach. After they land a 'real job' or the economy improves, they quit teaching. You should only teach if you genuinely like it, and care about the students' progress. If not, then don't teach. Wash dishes or drive cabs back home until things pick up for you.

There are a few hundred or a thousand English teaching jobs in Thailand for career teachers who have at least a BA, full English fluency, teaching experience, etc, earning over 35K every month, teaching motivated classes of 25 Thais at a time, in well managed schools, etc. The chance of a non-native with no academic credentials or experience, of finding such a job in Chiang Rai, is nonexistent.

You may wish to browse portions of the Questions About Qualifications thread which is pinned to the top of this Teaching Forum. Personally, I doubt you'd finf a job for 20K, but I'm often wrong..

Thank you all for your replies again.

@skybluestu: thank you for your understanding and the insight on the salaries.

@slapout: that is great advice, I'll add this into my options!

@mbkudu: I kind of got this coming and I mostly agree with what you are saying. This is also a reason I send my daughter to an extra tutor as she had about 3 different English teachers in a year, which I believe can not be good to the kids. However, as I said, I am running out of options. Ofcourse do not want to have a negative influance to the students, but it would be wrong not to consider a teaching job at all in the position I am right now. I hope you'll understand.

@peaceblondie: as I said, I need to see my chances. Thanks for the advice and will check out the pinned threads!

@mbkudu: I kind of got this coming and I mostly agree with what you are saying. This is also a reason I send my daughter to an extra tutor as she had about 3 different English teachers in a year, which I believe can not be good to the kids. However, as I said, I am running out of options. Ofcourse do not want to have a negative influance to the students, but it would be wrong not to consider a teaching job at all in the position I am right now. I hope you'll understand.

I understand completely. Do whatever is necessary to care for your family and yourself. I saw a woman on CNN who used to work for a brokerage house in Hong Kong and she was seeking ANY position. Kind of makes the mind wander a bit.

Ruben

I received a TEFL, have a MA, Native Speaker, however, I'm 60, female, too old. If you are under 40, male, Native Brit or American speaker, have a BA, you can easily get a job. It won't be fun, esp in a govt school. Check out Ajarn.com. Ajarn is the thai word for teacher. 30,000 is max you will get and getting a work permit for visa will be like pulling teeth. No experience necessary usually. If you are good looking, piece of cake. My TEFL certificate not seriously considered when I applied. Being male, BA, Native Speaker and good looking will get you the job. No thai language required. Good luck!

Ruben

I received a TEFL, have a MA, Native Speaker, however, I'm 60, female, too old. If you are under 40, male, Native Brit or American speaker, have a BA, you can easily get a job. It won't be fun, esp in a govt school. Check out Ajarn.com. Ajarn is the thai word for teacher. 30,000 is max you will get and getting a work permit for visa will be like pulling teeth. No experience necessary usually. If you are good looking, piece of cake. My TEFL certificate not seriously considered when I applied. Being male, BA, Native Speaker and good looking will get you the job. No thai language required. Good luck!

What a relief, hahaha. Just kidding. thanks for your reply, though I am not a native speaker, so i'll need to see how things are going.

@mbkudu: thanks for your understanding.

@cles: thanks for the information, will check it out. Also already send an application to a school just outside CR.

I will go along with most of the other old hands here in advising you NOT to do this. As a non-native, inexperienced teacher with no degree, you will almost inevitably only be offered the worst possible jobs. Furthermore, as Mbkudu says, schools really don't need teachers who are in it as a gap year or just for something to tide them over.

But if you do come, would advise you to stay in the countryside where the little money you get will go further; though it means paperwork may be harder.

I will go along with most of the other old hands here in advising you NOT to do this. As a non-native, inexperienced teacher with no degree, you will almost inevitably only be offered the worst possible jobs. Furthermore, as Mbkudu says, schools really don't need teachers who are in it as a gap year or just for something to tide them over.

But if you do come, would advise you to stay in the countryside where the little money you get will go further; though it means paperwork may be harder.

I understand, though I have plunged myself in greater depths in the past, so I believe I can do this and more important, I feel I NEED to do this or at least consider the option. I appreciate your opinion and thank you for your advice.

TipTip,

I'm a Chiang Rai resident also. I'm sure more than a few people have taken to teaching in Chiang Rai over the years for the 'wrong reasons' and have become sucessful.

As for being non-native speaker, I know a lot of 'non-native' speakers who speak better english than 'native speakers' including myself.

My children are in a very nice school out in the sticks , the couple of english Teachers (Thai Ladies) who teach at my kids school appear to be very good reading and writing english, although they will use thirty words where I would use ten if you know what I mean. ;-) but they are hopeless at speaking, maybe shy, or don't have enough practice. I've often had to 'pick the bones' out of some of the english homework my kids bring home and wish I hadn't started.

I know the powers that be have been cracking down on non qualified teachers over the last few years which will make it more difficult but maybe there's a chance in some of the more remote schools, maybe offer your services 'voluntarily' and see how it goes. Its probably the only way in if at all.

Good Luck

I'm sure there are a few english teachers who frequent Rico's Bar occasionally who 'may' or 'may not' be able to offer some advice in a 'positive' or 'negative' manner :)