Aag Cable To Boost Asia’s Internet Capacity In August

george

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be lovely to have fast interest here. I work and derive my entire income online.

We have the 8mb service from True. It was good for the first month and now its slower than the old 1mb. Called the engineers out and they showed that with in Thailand it was 8mb with a local true speed test. What it should have said was "8mb internet with Thailand only". Perhaps I should have read the small print. Me bad.

Last week in Hong Kong airport I logged on to the free throughout-the-airport internet service and it was incredible. I did the work that takes me 3 hours in Thailand in no more than 10 minutes.

Over there I waited 1 – 2 seconds for a web page. Here I wait 30 seconds.

Bring on the fast internet.

Does anyone know of any better services than "True 8mb"

(which is certainly not True in the sense of the word)

When I had a stop over in Japan I was getting 50-100Mbps regularly. Amazing.

We waited 3 years in our old office for promised ADSL connection so in end moved to new office in Jomtien. Bought maxnet 2Mb package and fine until June now lucky if we can connect to overseas web site and emails some times never come. Last speed check showed 18kps in! Thinking of changing to CAT but 3 times cost and reading these articles are we wonder if we wre ' leaving the frying pan and jumping into the fire'. Any comments would be appreciated

Took 15 minutes to conenct and make this reply!

We waited 3 years in our old office for promised ADSL connection so in end moved to new office in Jomtien. Bought maxnet 2Mb package and fine until June now lucky if we can connect to overseas web site and emails some times never come. Last speed check showed 18kps in! Thinking of changing to CAT but 3 times cost and reading these articles are we wonder if we wre ' leaving the frying pan and jumping into the fire'. Any comments would be appreciated

Took 15 minutes to conenct and make this reply!

in my opinion its good to have a backup line.

i run an internet business so i have to be connected.

you dont have the option for TOT?

that is a good backup when maxnet is fried.

also, calling maxnet sometimes helps.

they helped me troubleshoot a connection problem.

mischievous animals had chewed through my dls line !

This is not America.... you can't compare that. Thailand does not have the infrastructure (which is needed for such high-speed internet) like the US.

Hunh? Have you ever looked at a map of fibre optic cable laid in Thailand? Or considered population density? Thailand is 85th (125 people per km2) in rank for most populated in the world; the US is 177th (31 people per km2)! You realise that makes it MUCH more costly/difficult to provide the level of services offered to Americans (who are behind other industrialised countries in this regard)?

yea they overflow the servers in my town.

college town and everyone has the maxnet 500 baht plan.

Would that be college town be Khon Kaen?

I'm moving there in Nov, Dec, and I had heard from my wife that speeds had gotten better over the last year...true or not so true??

When I try to participate on some boating forums in the USA its fustrating slow at times

It's useless, the problem in Thailand comes from the internal problem.

Their management are screwed..

My internet keep disconnecting itself at 8pm-11pm or around that.

Calling TT&T indeed helps, but they arent able (or rather would not dispatch a team) to solve the problem.

In the end, I've called them for like 5 times in 2 weeks and no solution.

What's up with this disconnection?

The main problem with Thailand's internet connection is mainly because of lack of competition! Come on, all these companies that are offering basic DSL internet are either those who are under government concession (True, Maxnet) or state owned firms (TOT, CAT).

But for those of you who are bitching about the speed in the US, of-course it will be faster because you are downloading their domestic contents. You should try going to Korean websites from the US... similarly in Thailand, the domestic connections are almost full speed all the time in the USA.

My internet has never been as crap as it is now.

Edge GPRS is faster by a big margin.

On a 2000 Baht + per month 3 Mb Maxnet Premier package

524781187.png

This what I get to Malaysia, so a big pipe landing over there ain't going to me much good :)

Think you've got problems. This is as of now in Bangkok on the condo LAN.

525110898.png

Cheers, Rick

Internet speeds in Thailand is a joke. In the States, for $25.00 a month introductory price for six months, and after that $45.00 a month you get 20 MB download, and 12 MB upload with Comcast.

Barry

Yes, but you would actually have to live there to benefit :)

Why is this being posted as Breaking News???

It is breaking news for one reason, Anything that speeds up the internet in Thailand has to be front page news.

Does that answer your question?

yea they overflow the servers in my town.

college town and everyone has the maxnet 500 baht plan.

Would that be college town be Khon Kaen?

I'm moving there in Nov, Dec, and I had heard from my wife that speeds had gotten better over the last year...true or not so true??

When I try to participate on some boating forums in the USA its fustrating slow at times

nah about an hour away from kohn kaen.

not sure the speeds in kk, but its a nice town.

lots of good shopping and a Starbucks.

no Starbucks in our town - just instant coffee.

there's a great hotel in town too called Pullman (used to be Sofitel)

cheap and modern suites if u need a place to stay

while u are getting yourself acclimated.

I was pretty excited about the AAG cable.... (it's 1.92 terabits/s by the way, not 1.2, as someone stated in the thread).... but it sounds like there may be a lot more structural issues at play here preventing us from seeing the speed increase.

I lived in thailand a few years ago, had 3 different DSL providers, (actually 2 TRUE sme lines, 1 KSC sme line), they all periodically sucked, around noon onwards on weekdays.

I'm going back soon with my Thai wife & kid... not going to thailand is not an option... but my work depends on connectivity to the US...

I'm willing to spend as much as necessary... can anyone offer specific advice on how to get fast DL speeds from the US, 24/7/365?

I was thinking of getting 3 phone lines, with 3 different SME packages from different providers and a load balancing router... the leased line options seem like you pay a lot more and don't get much better...

Any input ? thanks - if you live in bangkok and are happy with your service provider, let me know who it is... I want to sign up! I'm willing to spend whatever I need to to get fast internet, but obviously would like to keep it on the low side if possible.

as with many replies i'll put my 2 cents in on this topic

1. If i'm a ISP here the MAJORITY of my customers are THAI, most of them primarily use only domestic websites, explain to me why I should bother for a less than 1% minority

2. Upon that statement though in GENERAL all ISP providers should at least fix / properly maintain / upgrade infrastuctures / but with money always going under the table I can't see this happening anytime soon

3. One of you mentioned that most of the cable will benefit singapore, hong kong, etc, I agree on this as both of those places and a few other countries do have a better Internet infrastructure.

4. I am aware though that pattaya and phuket are trying to do a fiber optics structure I did read about this earlier on in the year I believe CAT is most likely getting involved with the project so who knows whats going to happen there

5. Most of you aren't happy depending on experiences but with the web now and websites I can't imagine if I had no other choice but dial up I'd wind up having to use lynx web browser or disable all images and javascript to run everything

It would be lovely to have fast interest here. I work and derive my entire income online.

We have the 8mb service from True. It was good for the first month and now its slower than the old 1mb. Called the engineers out and they showed that with in Thailand it was 8mb with a local true speed test. What it should have said was "8mb internet with Thailand only". Perhaps I should have read the small print. Me bad.

Last week in Hong Kong airport I logged on to the free throughout-the-airport internet service and it was incredible. I did the work that takes me 3 hours in Thailand in no more than 10 minutes.

Over there I waited 1 – 2 seconds for a web page. Here I wait 30 seconds.

Bring on the fast internet.

Does anyone know of any better services than "True 8mb"

(which is certainly not True in the sense of the word)

You can try this web page http://www.3bb.co.th/10mb/promotion_en.php

Edited by Dokman

As there doesn't appear to be any new announcements by the NTC or CAT August odesn't seem realistic. CAT will mostly likely use the extra capacity when available to service its own VoIP business first which is about the only thing that makes money for them outside of concession fees.

What is the true capacity? Thailand needs at least a terrabit increase in capacity for it's present demand.

There is no good answer for those wanting to get better connectivity. Thailand is extremely far behind the rest of the region in terms of international access. It's just the way it is.

524446720.png

Here is my Maxnet 3mbits . . .,, this speed i have 24/7 . . . im happy all my things moving smooth here in Pattaya . . .

Hopfully it gets better then . .

527597259.png

Compare that to mine with 2 mbs maxnet service and this is to bangkok not seattle.

Will Thailand Telecom companies buy any bandwidth? Somehow I doubt this and we will have to struggle on with what we already have.

I will be coming back to Thailand on a 12 mth ret visa at the end of the year and will have my ASUS laptop.

Reading the postings has got me quite concerned . Who/What should i sign up with, bearing in mind that i will be based in the Surat Thani area but will travel all over Thailand. Can anybody give me some advice please. Previously i have always used internet cafes without any problems.

Dave.

Will Thailand Telecom companies buy any bandwidth? Somehow I doubt this and we will have to struggle on with what we already have.

I will be coming back to Thailand on a 12 mth ret visa at the end of the year and will have my ASUS laptop.

Reading the postings has got me quite concerned . Who/What should i sign up with, bearing in mind that i will be based in the Surat Thani area but will travel all over Thailand. Can anybody give me some advice please. Previously i have always used internet cafes without any problems.

Dave.

The internet in Thailand is far from ideal but it does work. People have some really harsh things to say on here making it sound unusable but it always works for me and everybody else that I know personally. I wouldn't be too worried about it. You will definitely get online without much trouble when you are basically anywhere in Thailand.

I haven't heard anyone mention Ji-Net (Jasmine Company). They don't have a lot of market share and they cost more than MaxNet and True, but they give great service, their international speed is the same as their Thai speed, and when there is a problem, they react quickly.

I've used them for almost 5 years in Chiang Mai (actually around 40 KM outside CM) and have been very happy with their service. Right now we have 2MB/512KB service and we actually get those speeds most of the time -- day or night, domestic or international.

I have a program that graphs my up and down speeds continuously, so I have a pretty good idea what we're getting most of the time, and Ji-Net is good. My neighbor recently switched to them and he's happy, too.

Ji-Net still has to depend on TOT for the ADSL lines and that means blackouts and other problems every now and then, but from what I've read above, I'd urge some of you to try Ji-Net. Khun Jakrapan there heads customer service and he would be a good place to start.

Mention my name (or Sukanya Asa) if you would, please. That should get you a slightly lower price and me a gold star or two. Our account is in the name of Sukanya Asa.

Thanks and good luck --

Sukanya Asa

Eric Taylor

Dave.

The internet in Thailand is far from ideal but it does work. People have some really harsh things to say on here making it sound unusable but it always works for me and everybody else that I know personally. I wouldn't be too worried about it. You will definitely get online without much trouble when you are basically anywhere in Thailand.

Let's all check at the end of the month!!

I suspect nothing will really have changed.

These almost daily news reports of government activity are completely meaningless. But let's see ifv this one is different :)

Well its 5th August and the internet speed still SUCKS!! If the Thais want business they should know fast worldwide connection is everything these days. Definately slows RIGHT down at 10 am untill about 4 am in the morning. ...Hopeless!!

Edited by regfrancis

• 4 weeks later...
The solution, if you really must have speed, is to get a 1MB Fiber Optic line dedicated to you. It costs a lot per month (15.000 Baht/mo) but it is worth it.

This is what you get during the busy time of the day when testing Seattle from here. Other times usually come out at 5-10MB/sec down and 1MB/sec up;

Bht 15,000 per month? You are crazy or made an error.

I suspect crazy. :)

No, that's right. He's talking about a leased line. An office I consulted for had two, one from True and one from Pacific. Pacific's a pretty decent regional outfit and the cost per month was closer to 10K, though that may vary by location. If you needed 99.999% uptime it's worth opting for and if you've got other regional offices who have leased lines from the same company it can be a good way to handle inter-office traffic as well. I work entirely online too and my True 4MB connection is finally where it needs to be to get things done, stream, have seamless VoIP, etc. I didn't even bother with 8mb because I figured the pain of disappointment in the gap between promise and reality would be too much for me, heh. Anyhow, if I were running a server out of the condo I'd opt for a leased line, but I can't justify it as is. Still, as everyone knows (and there's no may about it) your mileage will vary and it will vary wildly from soi to soi. I just got lucky over here near Thong Lo. Back on Suan Plu, not so lucky (though not God awful, just annoying).

Out of inyerest...what is the normal download speed in Thailand??/ That is what do the companies offer......

Here we are talking now of a minimum 3Mb and an offer of up to 24Mb. The contention ratio may be up to 48 but it is usually under 24.

Mine is 3 Mb with a real 300-350 Kpbs.

Edited by harleyclarkey