Thai Police Crack Down On Karaoke And Bar Girl Touting Outside Of Premises

sassienie

So is the end of, Hello Welcome? And could this be the beginning for the restricting of practises for beer bars and similar establishments that Thailand is famous for and could possibly cut the tourist trade down by another xxx%?

I'm all for ending the sex tourism industry, the kind of characters it attracts, both clients and providers, are harmful for Thai society.

And your here for...the temples, right? I see you made no mention of the very large and much older industry that services the local market, not harmful presumably?

Over the last few days it has been well documented on Channel 3 news that the police are going to stop Karaoke and Bar girl female workers from touting and showing off their wares outside of the premises.

It was stated that some establishments are permitting their girls to sit outside on the street only dressed in skimpy underwear and that this is causing offence to some tourists and locals.

The big clamp down will begin at Bangkok in the foreseeable future than probably be imposed nationwide.

So is the end of, Hello Welcome? And could this be the beginning for the restricting of practises for beer bars and similar establishments that Thailand is famous for and could possibly cut the tourist trade down by another xxx%?

Is it really about some girls in their skimpy? (or sexy?) underwear? Does that actually mean that lady boys and gays can sit there wearing almost nothing? Is it because of so many married couples who come to Thailand come back seperated, facing a divorce? It's only about females.....isn't it a nice warm welcome for so many tourists who are 1. shy, 2. horny, 3, married..a.s.o.....to hear that:' Hello hansome man sit down please ,I love you too much......'

Another point is that those would make their money somewhere else, right? In these times to bring up something like that seems to be a kind of insane. Sorry, it's only the truth. I know that some guys in this lovely country do have a huge problem with the actual situation to say the truth. Khop khun lai laidorn. Chock Dee na..............................................

Edited by Sisaketmike

I'm all for ending the sex tourism industry, the kind of characters it attracts, both clients and providers, are harmful for Thai society.

Back to the drawing board re insight knowledge of a foreign country.

Just curious - how is Thai society harmed?

I don't understand........

How can they make money with this 'very serious' initiative :)

Dave

The bars that continue to have girls outside will be the ones that have paid. In a week they all will have paid, and situation normal. Soi 6 looked like the alley it is last year during the spring crack down. A week later all was back to mayhem.

Thai Society!

Prostitution is and always has been a big part of Thai society. You will find the younger girls are in Thai only brothels. Much too good to allow Farangs access to them.

Go up country and look at all these Thai bars surrounded by fairy lights. What do you think happens there?

Chris

Correctomundo, you seems to have knowledge of Thai nightlife, the ones in Pattaya, Nana, Patpong are like used cars, the new models are bought by Thai owners first. The Thai sex industry is the only business in the world where second hand is much more expensive than new material.

Prostitution is an essential part of Thai society and this since centuries, The sexindustry for expats and sex tourists are peanuts compared with the internal compsumption :)

Silly, trite, off-topic post with sexual inuendo and bad joke that only I think funny. Followed by a doom and gloom comment about Thai tourism shooting itself in the foot.

Pause............ to work out how to blame the colour of peoples shirts for everything here.

I wish they would put a stop to the public pawing a groping of the ladies also. NOthing worse than to see a bunch of old perverts feeling up a young women in public, you men need to get some class and think about your mother or sister and would you like them to be exploited the way you exploit the women. 98% of the ladies hate it, and wish to be treated as a lady, they are in this lifestyle only out of necessity not because they want to. Look yourselves in the mirror, do you really think that the beautiful women of Thailand want a husband of 50-75 years old especially drunk and groping them in front of everyone, pleaze keep the sleaze in your room. If you haven't noticed there are children watching.

I wish they would put a stop to the public pawing a groping of the ladies also. NOthing worse than to see a bunch of old perverts feeling up a young women in public, you men need to get some class and think about your mother or sister and would you like them to be exploited the way you exploit the women. 98% of the ladies hate it, and wish to be treated as a lady, they are in this lifestyle only out of necessity not because they want to. Look yourselves in the mirror, do you really think that the beautiful women of Thailand want a husband of 50-75 years old especially drunk and groping them in front of everyone, pleaze keep the sleaze in your room. If you haven't noticed there are children watching.

What about the public pawing and groping the ladies do to their customers. Shouldn't that stop as well? :)

Definition of a karaoke bar:

"A bar where people that shouldn't drink go to listen to people that shoudln't sing."

Over the last few days it has been well documented on Channel 3 news that the police are going to stop Karaoke and Bar girl female workers from touting and showing off their wares outside of the premises.

It was stated that some establishments are permitting their girls to sit outside on the street only dressed in skimpy underwear and that this is causing offence to some tourists and locals.

The big clamp down will begin at Bangkok in the foreseeable future than probably be imposed nationwide.

Well with the steady decline in the night scene from about 2000 onwards It probably may happen alas.

Controlling the 'spicy' behaviour like this is the way you establish 'control' over a population. The Thai ptb are just doing it in baby-steps...

Thankfully it's all done in a half-hearted manner.

Edited by JimsKnight

I would have thought that many of the people going to the bars would be happy about the "crack down".

If all of the girls are hanging around outside of the bars, then they are not inside of the bars with the customers.

But seriously... I don't think they are talking about the red light districts... I think they may be talking about the karaoke clubs targeting a Thai clientele that are in residential/normal business areas with girls hanging out in front of the bar from around 7pm onwards.

I pass a few of these places on my way home from work everyday, one of which is directly across from a elementary/high school.

Its one thing if its hidden away in a side soi, but completely different if its in your face, across from your kids school or by your home where your kids are forced to see it everyday.

Those that wish to partake can do so, but should be kept in a separate area.

Edited by CWMcMurray

Yes me too! Only for the people who live here............Was it here before tourists came ? Yes I think so.....

And what of the Thai men doing the same or have you never noticed them?

Thai/Thai holding hands as they walk down the street. Arms wrapped around each other in the pub. Thai/Thai snuggled up so close you could not get your credit card between them. Thai men groping the asses of the women serving them.

Different worlds some of us see.

But they can't end the sex tourism industry... it's too big a juggernaut and there are too many vested interests. Thaksin pursued a 'social order policy' for example aimed for example at zoning and closing hours but with the worldof commercial sex always lubricated by corrupt practice nothing much will happen and any new rules will gradually slip.

Nothing ever really changes.

Andrew

I would have thought that many of the people going to the bars would be happy about the "crack down".

If all of the girls are hanging around outside of the bars, then they are not inside of the bars with the customers.

But seriously... I don't think they are talking about the red light districts... I think they may be talking about the karaoke clubs targeting a Thai clientele that are in residential/normal business areas with girls hanging out in front of the bar from around 7pm onwards.

I pass a few of these places on my way home from work everyday, one of which is directly across from a elementary/high school.

Its one thing if its hidden away in a side soi, but completely different if its in your face, across from your kids school or by your home where your kids are forced to see it everyday.

yep think it is more to do with the Thai places, like the big Meng Jai Karaoke place not far from Ratchada on a busy road and there would always be a big group of girls outside there leaving very little to imagination

Yeah, all the millions of Thai guys who frequent these places might have to start paying the girls a reasonable fee. :)

Dunno about elsewhere, but was driving along On Nut Road last night about 8 pm, a section that probably has about a half dozen Thai oriented karaoke places... I pass by there on a regular basis.

Usually, at that time especially on a Saturday night, there would be gaggles of gals (attractively dressed, mind you) sitting outside. Last night, I didn't see a single lady sitting outside, though all the places had their doors open.

:)

I have rarely read a more ignorant post than the one quoted. And being a member of T/V, I have occasion to read quite a few ignorant posts :D (my own excluded, of course :D )

At least in the Bangkok Metro Area the foreign sex tourist industry; while certainly the most easily identified and vilified, is strictly confined to three relatively small areas; (Nana, Cowboy, Patpong). While there is ‘spill-over’ it is not near as widespread and entrenched as the thai/thai part of the industry which florishes in nearly every area of the city, and indeed the country itself.

If I am not mistaken studies have shown foreign sex tourists and business’ which cater to it account for probably less than one percent of the entire sex industry in thailand. Overall it is predominantly thai/thai oriented and is of a MUCH lower profile than its foreign counterpart.

Given the low number of foreigners who speak thai fluently enough to venture into in a venue like that, it is unlikely you’d ever see more than the outside of one of the hostess bars in the greater Bangkok area. In all likelihood you wouldn’t know you’d walked past one as some are so camouflaged and innocuous that you have no idea it’s even a bar. Granted there are areas which are more flamboyant than others, but the thai/thai stuff is quite tame in comparison (at least on the outside :D )

There is also hardly a place you can go in thailand, and not find a karaoke/hostess bar, or a 'short-time' hotel with the convenient curtain you pull across your vehicle after you park (a nifty feature currently unavailable in the USA) :D .

I do find it strange they would pick the thai oriented karaoke clubs from having the girls stand outside. One would think the “in-your-face” foreign venues would be prime targets.

Thai Society!

Prostitution is and always has been a big part of Thai society. You will find the younger girls are in Thai only brothels. Much too good to allow Farangs access to them.

Go up country and look at all these Thai bars surrounded by fairy lights. What do you think happens there?

Chris

Actually about a year ago I was told by the local policeman in rural Thailand, that he was instructed to tour the bars nightly and check girls were not sitting beside customers.

Anyway on a more humerous note the banning of street soliciting is not extended to tuc tucs and nepalese tailors so we will still have people to talk to!

Dunno about elsewhere, but was driving along On Nut Road last night about 8 pm, a section that probably has about a half dozen Thai oriented karaoke places... I pass by there on a regular basis.

Usually, at that time especially on a Saturday night, there would be gaggles of gals (attractively dressed, mind you) sitting outside. Last night, I didn't see a single lady sitting outside, though all the places had their doors open.

I was down near Sawan Park last night and it was the same. Normally have oodles of scantily dressed young ladies oozing out of their scanty clothes, but last night there was not one !!

Bang goes the eye candy on the way to the pub :)

yep think it is more to do with the Thai places, like the big Meng Jai Karaoke place not far from Ratchada on a busy road and there would always be a big group of girls outside there leaving very little to imagination

I believe the original story was directed to businesses on Lat Phrao road...very much out of the way of the general tourist areas..

The article that i read also stated that the BIB hoped this would reduce the number of accidents on that road...thai drivers :)

Seeing how this is one of the most heavily digested roads around, i would have thought these girls were doing a great job in keeping roadrage nonexistent... :D

no way,,,i want to see then NAKED,