Kanchanaburi

Billion

Get down to Rachadamnoen which is the main road behind Khao San Road. From there you can get a minibus for 120 baht that will take you to your destination (hotel guesthouse etc). If you land at the Kan bus station the taxi that will take you to your hotel will be 100-150 baht!!!! Just tell the people at the desk the name of your hotel and you should be there in a little over 2 hours.

There are plenty of good and cheap hotels on the river road, commonly known as the strip. We always put people up in Phong Phen which is a stroll to the bars and food places. Its cheap clean and quite nice.

Last week we stayed at The River Bridge Kwai Resort, hadn't booked in advance but it looked nice, we payed, or even paid, 1500 for a beautiful air conditioned bungalow including a buffet breakfast, I suspect we could have got it for a tad less.

It has beautiful landscaped gardens and a reasonably priced restaurant on the river with view of the bridge, would certainly recommend and will go again.

Edited by theoldgit

They have minibuses as well, great option.

Perhaps we travel with these minibuses next time.

Every hour scheme or a few buses a day?

I checked the website pongphen.com and Thai-Style Bungalows looks great.

Thanks sgunn65 for telling me.

theoldgit, I will check out The River Bridge Kwai Resort as well!

Thanks to you too.

The Joly Frog Backpackers is a good standard fora backpackers' place; if you don't like it, there are dozens of places along the strip fronting the river. I can't remember the name of the place, but I stayed in a raft room a couple of months back for about 500 baht a double, aircon, but without breakfast.

The accommodation touts at the bus station are murder! They'll tag you and bolt into hotels before you to claim their commission.

There is this amazing little Indian Restuarant along the bridge road in Kanchanburi, the little man there really cooks up a storm.

I cant remember the name of the place but if your down the bridge road at the Jolly Frog end and you drive towards the bridge, its not that far on your right hand side, within walking distance of the Jolly Frog. After a feed of indian you can slide down to one of the bars and have a few beers.

Great spot Kan & theres some really nice hinterland stuff as well.

Kan Win: Thanks for telling me, Ploy Guesthouse seems okay too with breakfast and free pick-up from bus station.

Also e-booker 700 Baht per night (1000 Baht without e-booker), but no swimming pool!

My wife wants The River Bridge Kwai Resort now. Thanks to all! :)

There is this amazing little Indian Restuarant along the bridge road in Kanchanburi, the little man there really cooks up a storm.

I cant remember the name of the place but if your down the bridge road at the Jolly Frog end and you drive towards the bridge, its not that far on your right hand side, within walking distance of the Jolly Frog. After a feed of indian you can slide down to one of the bars and have a few beers.

Great spot Kan & theres some really nice hinterland stuff as well.

Ali Bongo's :)