Thai Children ‘eat Too Many Sweets’

george

Thai children ‘eat too many sweets’

sweet2.gif

BANGKOK: -- A leading member of the Thai National Health Foundation today expressed concern over the growing problem of obesity among Thai children, warning that children were now eating too many sweets and cakes and not enough nourishing food.

Dr. Ladda Mosuwann, head of the foundation’s health research network, said that obesity was being discovered in increasingly young children, and that weight-related illnesses among children – including diabetes and heart problems – were becoming increasingly common.

She pointed to research showing that many Thai children tended to spurn their main meals, with children aged 3-5 years old receiving their principle source of calories not from main meals but from snacks and deserts containing high levels of sugar and fat.

This was leading to obesity, poor nutrition and dental decay, she said.

The Thai Research Foundation (TRF) will tomorrow launch a programme to encourage children to eat healthy snacks.

--TNA 2005-02-27

For me it is a constant battle.

My wife buys too many chips, cakes, chocolate, cookies, sweets, jelly for our children. I told her not too and that worked but then the neighbours do it, or family members. It is really difficult to convince them it is the worst thing you could do to a child, because they do it to their own children too.

Eating chips is the worst i think. A lot of salt and fat, not much else.

My son and daughter actually like to eat fruit and vgetables but if they eat sugar it is like a drug. They go completely crazy with these energy bombs.

Now i can control most but if they are a little bigger they buy there own candy i'm afraid.

Obesity of kids means the richer the people of those nation,

China with growing economy facing the same problems.

It's a bad sign for health of the kids but it's a good sign that parent afford to buy more tip bits for their kids.

Think its an interesting phenomenon esp with the kids of the immigrant families in AUS and NZ.

I have a Korean family renting one of my places in NZ ,every time I go back the kids look more like little sumos.

Look around Sydney and its the same the under 10 yr olds are huge.

Its Lollies,chippies,big macs,kfc etc etc .

Obesity of kids means the richer the people of those nation,

China with growing economy facing the same problems.

It's a bad sign for health of the kids but it's a good sign that parent afford to buy more tip bits for their kids.

It's not only obesity, but a rather more widespread problem seems to be poor dental health. I teach four and five year olds, lobvly kids and only about three of time have a weight problem, but their teeth are something else! The majority of them have blackened teeth and teeth missing. These are only thier baby teeth, god help them when their older! Obviously it is the result of too many sugary snacks, but it is still quite shocking, not only to me, but to my Thai colleague too. A nationwide dental health campaign is surely in order.

It's all down to the parents from what I what I see on a daily basis. Those parents that can afford to stuff their kids with loads of crap do so because they really believe it is a display of affection on their part! :o

A previous poster mentioned no teeth or blackened teeth ..what about the silver teeth and the bad breath?

I for one am sorry to say that Thai hygiene is limited. Soap and water seems to alien!