Health Insurance For Thai Nationals

WaatWang

Yesterday I called my BF as usual only to find out he had been in a motorbike accident. (I am still in the US, moving permanently in two months time to Thailand.) He apparently had called me at home but I'd already left for work and missed his call - in talking with him he asked if I called him or if he called me. He was vomiting about every five minutes, said his whole body hurt, couldn't remember where his motorbike was, and he was having difficulty walking. I talked to his mom - when the accident happened he was holding something in his hand and in the crash it became embedded in his hand. They had gone to the hospital with all the money they had at the time. The doctor fixed up his hand then sent him away because they didn't have enough money for him to be admitted.

I am freaking out - it's late at night in Thailand and Western Union is now closed. He also doesn't remember where his wallet is, so he had no ID. Long story short - eventually I was able to get some money to him and he's now been admitted. They're estimating about four days stay in the hospital before they'll consider releasing him.

I was appalled going through this with him. If someone is in an accident, do they just leave them there to die if they don't find an insurance card or any money on them? I thought there was an insurance program for Thai nationals where they could get hospitalization for a low fee per day. I did some reasearch on TV today and saw a post that said this is only available in the person's home provence, but if they've lived in a new place for >3 months they can re-register to be covered in their new locale. Does anyone know how would one go about this? When he recovers, I want to have him and his mom & sisters do this so they won't ever have to go through this again. Those of you with loved ones in the same boat, please encourage them to do the same. In the meantime I'll also be shopping for health insurance...

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place - I only usually read the ladies forum.

Yesterday I called my BF as usual only to find out he had been in a motorbike accident. (I am still in the US, moving permanently in two months time to Thailand.) He apparently had called me at home but I'd already left for work and missed his call - in talking with him he asked if I called him or if he called me. He was vomiting about every five minutes, said his whole body hurt, couldn't remember where his motorbike was, and he was having difficulty walking. I talked to his mom - when the accident happened he was holding something in his hand and in the crash it became embedded in his hand. They had gone to the hospital with all the money they had at the time. The doctor fixed up his hand then sent him away because they didn't have enough money for him to be admitted.

I am freaking out - it's late at night in Thailand and Western Union is now closed. He also doesn't remember where his wallet is, so he had no ID. Long story short - eventually I was able to get some money to him and he's now been admitted. They're estimating about four days stay in the hospital before they'll consider releasing him.

I was appalled going through this with him. If someone is in an accident, do they just leave them there to die if they don't find an insurance card or any money on them? I thought there was an insurance program for Thai nationals where they could get hospitalization for a low fee per day. I did some reasearch on TV today and saw a post that said this is only available in the person's home provence, but if they've lived in a new place for >3 months they can re-register to be covered in their new locale. Does anyone know how would one go about this? When he recovers, I want to have him and his mom & sisters do this so they won't ever have to go through this again. Those of you with loved ones in the same boat, please encourage them to do the same. In the meantime I'll also be shopping for health insurance...

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong place - I only usually read the ladies forum.

I know they can get accident insurance my wife has it for her and our son but it is for the government run hospital. She was sick last month and was there for 4 days and the insurance paid most of the bill.

You can easily check out insurance, get quotes see policy coverage and even pay via your credit card from America. Check out

http://www.bupathailand.com/bupa_cms/en/home.aspx

It costs no more and is much easier to use the services of an insurance BROKER who is a native English speaker. You can communicate via e-mail or phone to such a broker. The forum sponsor can perhaps give you a quote from Thai Health Insurance Company, which is a firm I bought for my family for two years. We have had www.bupathailand.com coverage IN PATIENT (which includes emergency treatment) , not out patient for almost two years. For our situation (age of insured and coverage desired) BUPA was a lower cost and higher benefits. The key to these two companies (or any Insurance company in Thailand) is if the "card" is accepted at the good private hospitals in your province.

There will be a form to fill out for the person you want to insure. The Broker will handle that, via e-mail or fax. My wife was able to obtain coverage from www.insurance-in-thailand.com from her Northeast Province, even though the native English speaking Broker, born in Thailand, who is fluent in Thai has an office in Phuket. My wife had never sent a fax in her life until this process.

The cost of excellent coverage from Bupa is a fraction of Kaiser Permanente rates. A Thailand private hospital does NOT want to treat a Thai or even a Farang until they see an insurance card ACCEPTED in Thailand or CASH or a credit card with a high limit. They will give YOU a run around if you try to flash your Kaiser card and expect immediate emergency medical care. They want YOU to pay first and YOU to attempt to be reimbursed from Kaiser. I know as I had one experience at a well known Phuket Private Hospital while still here on holiday. If I was unconscious from a motorbike accident WITHOUT a Thailand Health Insurance card it might not have gone so well.

Of course no health insurance company will cover "pre-existing" conditions. Check benefit exclusions for BUPA health or Thai Health Insurance Co regarding coverage in case of Motorcycle accidents. Hence why having "full" coverage for each motorcycle is important, even if the "full coverage" did not cover the theft of the motorcycle.

The "free" medical care in Thailand may not be what you want for your loved ones and there is a sensible insurance option available in Thailand.

Thank you both for your helpful replies! I am now starting to evaluate different plan options to find the right one for us. I appreciate very much the advice. He is beginning to feel better and thankfully there will be no lasting damage from his accident. His motorbike has been located, too and is now in safe keeping. I'm happy to be moving forward from this nightmare!