Thai Banks Offering Pre-paid Or Secured Credit Card

Anyone have any experience(s) or recommendations on Thai banks that offer EITHER

* a pre-paid credit card

OR

* a secured credit card

thanks

By pre paid do you mean where a fixed sum is held in a savings account to guarantee the credit card?

If so, I have a visa card from Bangkok bank. I lodged double the amount of credit that I required into a BKK bank account. My limit is half that of the amount in the Savings account. Bad deal, but needs must.

Regards Bojo

Kasikorn Bank offer a Debit card based on a savings account.

You can use it just like a credit card, you can also use it to purchase over the Internet as a virtual credit card, with the 3 numbers on the reverse of the card.

See > For English, go to https://ebank.kasikornbank.com/kcyber/login.html#.

click on, K-Web Shopping Card

That will/should take you to the Debit card info.

Search this forum for "opening a bank account" in the box, at the foot of this page. :D

edit: you may need to copy & paste that address for Kasikorn.

the word "redirect" keeps fouling up the link. :)

Edited by GungaDin

If so, I have a visa card from Bangkok bank. I lodged double the amount of credit that I required into a BKK bank account. My limit is half that of the amount in the Savings account. Bad deal, but needs must.

I have the same deal with BB.......glad to see it was not just me they were doing this to. I could see holding the amount of credit available, but double the amount? What's with that?

You can use it just like a credit card, you can also use it to purchase over the Internet as a virtual credit card, with the 3 numbers on the reverse of the card.

Just checked the site out Gunga, very well laid out site in English, but it appears that this K-Web shopping card is a virtual card and only usable for online purchases. Do they actually send you a real plastic card that you can use in shops?

Just checked the site out Gunga, very well laid out site in English, but it appears that this K-Web shopping card is a virtual card and only usable for online purchases. Do they actually send you a real plastic card that you can use in shops?

Yes m8, I use mine in the ATMs and tesco, homepro, etc.

hum there's a confusion regarding kasikorn card and web shopping.

the card you'll receive from kasikorn is good to withdraw money in thailand and the entire world and to make payment at tesco, this card is not a visa even if the logo is printed aswell as CCV number at the back.

did you ever see a credit card where your name is PRIVILEGED MEMBER and without chip?

the web shopping card is a virtual card that can be used only to make payment on the internet as the plastic card can't do it.

Anyone have any experience(s) or recommendations on Thai banks that offer EITHER

* a pre-paid credit card

OR

* a secured credit card

thanks

Credit card!! How can this be a credit card?

If you deposit funds into the bank as a way of getting a card that you can use to draw cash on, this is called a debit card.

Debit as opposed to Credit it must be. :)

Search this forum for "opening a bank account" in the box, at the foot of this page. :D

this is not a credit card and can not be used for international airfares or car hires

this is not a credit card and can not be used for international airfares or car hires

Where did I say it was a credit card? duh!

The key word is like.

• 1 month later...

If this K-Bank card can be used for making purchases online, why can't it be used for purchasing international air tickets? My whole reason for wanting to get such a card is to be able to use it online to pay for flights with AirAsia and such. Can somebody else confirm that it is not possible to use these cards for the purchase of air tickets online? I already have a real, plastic Visa credit card with UOB Bank, but for some reason (not MY convenience, that's for sure), they have decided that their credit cards should no longer be usable for online transactions. ("Bank policy" is the lame excuse I get when I ask them why they changed this feature.)

And on that subject, I applied for a credit card from Krung Thai Bank, where I have been keeping a very large fixed deposit for the past six years. They have refused my application for a credit card with a limit of one tenth the amount of money in my fixed deposit - and most amazingly, they also refuse to tell me why! Again, "bank policy" is their explanation for why they can't tell me why they have turned me down. Duh! I kept telling the bank employee "But if you don't tell me why you rejected me, I can't do anything to fix the (perceived) problem!" (At first he said something about my passport expiring soon. As it turns out, the passport that I used to open my account at the bank would have been expiring soon. But, well, passports expire - and get renewed. My recently renewed one, which they didn't ask to see, will expire in ten years. Which I told him. Then he retracted his statement about the imminent expiration of my passport being the reason why my application was rejected.) How can one deal with such people?

Anyway, if anybody has any ideas about how I can get a credit card that I can use to purchase air tickets online, I would be happy to hear about it.

hum there's a confusion regarding kasikorn card and web shopping.

the card you'll receive from kasikorn is good to withdraw money in thailand and the entire world and to make payment at tesco, this card is not a visa even if the logo is printed aswell as CCV number at the back.

did you ever see a credit card where your name is PRIVILEGED MEMBER and without chip?

the web shopping card is a virtual card that can be used only to make payment on the internet as the plastic card can't do it.

The first card described above is Kbank's VISA debit card. It is a VISA debit card which means the funds are debited from the account immediately upon making the purchase at the store. Debit cards are allowed to have no cardholder name so they can be instantly issued in the branch, unlike most credit cards which are processed over a week or so. KBank's debit card also has no chip, the only bank in Thailand offering chip for a debit card is Bangkok Bank (also no name personalisation).

The reason that debit cards are difficult to use for car rental and some hotels is the concept of "blocking" the expected transaction amount. Many places will put a "shadow" transaction on your card at check in to ensure that you are good for the amount (i.e. your credit card is not already fully used) - this shadow transaction can then be modified when you finally check out or return the car. In the world of DEBIT, this does not work - debit only as DEBIT, but not the concept of HOLD/PENDING a balance. Hence, debit cards produced for check in and rental have problems or in some cases are not accepted by the hotel b/c they can't ensure that there will still be funds available to deduct when you check out.

The second virtual "card" is correct. And the reason that it may not be able to to used for airline purchases is the fact that the airline wants to see the card that you made the purchase with. If there is no physical card, then its a little hard to produce it at check in. So it depends on whether the airline requires to see the card or not, and is not a purchasing restriction per se.

If this K-Bank card can be used for making purchases online, why can't it be used for purchasing international air tickets? My whole reason for wanting to get such a card is to be able to use it online to pay for flights with AirAsia and such. Can somebody else confirm that it is not possible to use these cards for the purchase of air tickets online? I already have a real, plastic Visa credit card with UOB Bank, but for some reason (not MY convenience, that's for sure), they have decided that their credit cards should no longer be usable for online transactions. ("Bank policy" is the lame excuse I get when I ask them why they changed this feature.)

And on that subject, I applied for a credit card from Krung Thai Bank, where I have been keeping a very large fixed deposit for the past six years. They have refused my application for a credit card with a limit of one tenth the amount of money in my fixed deposit - and most amazingly, they also refuse to tell me why! Again, "bank policy" is their explanation for why they can't tell me why they have turned me down. Duh! I kept telling the bank employee "But if you don't tell me why you rejected me, I can't do anything to fix the (perceived) problem!" (At first he said something about my passport expiring soon. As it turns out, the passport that I used to open my account at the bank would have been expiring soon. But, well, passports expire - and get renewed. My recently renewed one, which they didn't ask to see, will expire in ten years. Which I told him. Then he retracted his statement about the imminent expiration of my passport being the reason why my application was rejected.) How can one deal with such people?

Anyway, if anybody has any ideas about how I can get a credit card that I can use to purchase air tickets online, I would be happy to hear about it.

Just read my previous post about Bank of Ayudhua. Creditcard limit = 80 % of security deposit.

Debetcards are not accepted by airlines or carhire for onlinebookings

I applied for a gold credit card with UOB on Tuesday and just got acceptance for a 200k limit.

I do not bank with them, never have and don't intend to. No security required either. The Thai GM of my company took me in and introduced me, provided a letter about salary etc, and as they are trying to win his corporate banking at the moment somebody somewhere pulled some strings - just goes to show they can do it if they want to.

I applied for a gold credit card with UOB on Tuesday and just got acceptance for a 200k limit.

I do not bank with them, never have and don't intend to. No security required either. The Thai GM of my company took me in and introduced me, provided a letter about salary etc, and as they are trying to win his corporate banking at the moment somebody somewhere pulled some strings - just goes to show they can do it if they want to.

Nobody pulled any strings..if you have a work permit and a letter from the company etc etc...you can get a credit card easy...UOB are desperate for clients anyway...its a crap bank and the Bank of Asia it bought out wasnt any better.. :)

Nobody pulled any strings..if you have a work permit and a letter from the company etc etc...you can get a credit card easy...UOB are desperate for clients anyway...its a crap bank and the Bank of Asia it bought out wasnt any better.. :)

Yes, the worst bank I've ever had to deal with. I had an account with them for a couple of years as it was required by my employer. Lousy service *every* time I ever went there. It seems they take five times longer to do anything that any other bank can do. Avoid.

I have used my k web shopping card twice with Air Asia, no problems whatsoever.