Slow Web Page Loading

Beacher

For the past month or so, my TOT ADSL has been having more problems than usual. Web pages load but I sit in "waiting" state for a minute or two before they even begin loading, and then they can be very slow completing. Also, although my torrent speeds aren't great (100-150 often) they aren't terrible. However they often go offline (Utorrent indicator box beside them becomes red). Fortunately, Utorrent is capable of trackerless DL'ing so they keep working.

I bought a new computer recently, and it seems that it was a couple of days after using it that the problem started, so I'm not sure if the new system is related to the problem, but I doubt it because the internet seemed to be working fine for the first couple of days after I setup the new system.

I'm hopping that somebody else might have encounter something similar and can help me with some advice. I've tried using alternate DNS servers like OpenDNS and DNS Advantage but they haven't make any difference. I had the computer shop install the operating system (XP) and they also put ESET Security Suite on the computer, but I'm almost to the point where I want to re-format C: drive and start all over hoping that might fix the problem.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thank for the suggestions.

I'll look into using a proxy this weekend, filingaccount.

Although my computer's only about a month old, I was thinking of formatting drive C: and starting over anyway, beano2274, so I'll let you know how it goes.

As for port-forwarding, I have an old modem that doesn't do port forwarding (as it's not a router). But this old hardware has workewd well for many years. However, I may splurge and buy a proper router that does handle port forwarding.

Edited by Beacher