How To Mortgage Two House With Wife Whom Lives And Works Overseas

Hi,

My wife wants to mortgage the two homes that she owns outright in Chiang Mai and Mae Jo. My wife thinks we can not mortgage these properties because she does not live and work in Thailand.

I say that they are worth in total of about a million baht. How much of this amount would be lent to us?

We would like the borrowed money to go towards another property.

Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this. Does anyone know of which thai or Asian bank who will lend in this situation.

regards

owen

I don't think anyone here can give you an accurate answer to your question. I should think you need to call on the bank where you have an account here in Thailand and try to talk to the bank manager. If you do not have an account with some kind of proven track record I would say you simply have to shop around by calling on several banks. You need to bring along the title documents and to show evidence of your wife's income. Your income is not likely to count, but who knows until you ask.

I would expect you to be able to loan up to 50% max of bank's valuation with a non-status mortgage normally, but todays times are not normal so to speak. Lending is still thin on the ground. Any less than that is hardly worth borrowing if you want to buy another property, is it?

Bangkok bank and SCB we're pretty good for us.

Regards Bojo

• 1 month later...

Hi There,

I'm in the same boat.. we live in london with my wife who is thai. We both work here and are currently trying to get a mortgage in thailand for a condo we bought but it's a bit difficult to find information.

we have found this bank who say on their website they now do loan for thai people who live abroad:

http://www.ghbank.co.th

(check out the section on the right handside of the website).

my wife called yesterday and ... the person she spoke to told her she was not sure about offering mortgages to thai nationals who live abroad!! so when we have time we want to ring them back (not easy with time difference!). I think she just did not get through the right person.

if you do get some luck with finding the right person we need to talk to, could you please share the contact details with us?

Many thanks and good luck :)

T