1,800 Cops To Keep Peace At Red-shirt Rally Tonight

george

About 1,800 policemen to keep peace at red-shirt rally this evening

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan Police Bureau will deploy about 1,800 anti-riot forces to keep peace for the red-shirt rally scheduled for this evening at Sanam Luang, MPB commissioner Lt General Worapong Chewpreecha said on Friday.

About 600 policemen will be on the grounds while the remaining forces will act as reinforcement if needed, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-31

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan Police Bureau will deploy about 1,800 anti-riot forces to keep peace for the red-shirt rally scheduled for this evening at Sanam Luang, MPB commissioner Lt General Worapong Chewpreecha said on Friday.

About 600 policemen will be on the grounds while the remaining forces will act as reinforcement if needed, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-31

thy should outnumber the protestors at least 3-1 then...

I see that the Thai media give much play about this. Blaring headlines about some massive police presence at a citizen's rally. I blatant example of them working their agenda on you, to the extreme. But many of you farangs will swallow it hook-line-and-sinker, with absolutely no credibility. You will think that such a police presence is warranted, because you have no other terms-of-reference. You have never been to a pro-democracy Red Shirt event. I know, I know, all you anti-Red Shirts will be trumpetting the Songhkran festival thing, but so many circumstances were unique to that event, that it is not a true indication of reality. If any of you have been at a RS event, you would know that it is filled with little old ladies, little 5-foot nothing schoolteachers like wifey, and an assortment of very average citizens. The idea of them being a problem for police is ludicrous. There is just no resemblance to the anti-democracy Pad/new-old paternalistic political people with their militarized perimeters, very professionally constructed by the many soldiers and military who are part of that milieu. But nevertheless, by assigning such a police presence to today's rally, the powers-that-be-want to create an impression, and many of you will buy into it. By the way, many of those policemen will be wearing Red Shirts under their police attire. You Farang political junkies should venture out there and watch the proceedings. Be among friends, be treated like royalty...and don't worry, there is no militarized gauntlet for you to run. It is just an enthusiastic gathering of citizenry. And dont get your shirt in a know about Embassy warnings about Farangs staying away from political rallies. They speak from standard bureaucratic procedures, with no recognition or awareness of the peaceful nature of these RS events. I guarantee you political junkies would really enjoy it. A real country-fair type ambience, with food stalls and other paraphernalia all over the place. But it is a wonderful political event enjoyable for all you political junkies like me. You would also see for yourself how your agenized media will grossly under-report the attendance. A neat trick the domestic media uses to do this, is quote the police. That way they are off the hook for journalistic dishonesty. The police are conditioned to downplay the significance of RS events by their superiors, so they have a vested interest in downplaying it by estimating a crowd of 10,000 when there may be 50,000 or more. So watch your newspaper coverage tomorrow and read them quote police-provided attendance figures - than multiply it by about Five, and you may be close.

Edited by Ferwert

Ferwert>> Keep your factitious account of the world in your RS book club or 'Thaksin Lovers Anonymous' meetings. Even PADs meetings was overcrowded with women, elders and even kids (as some of you where quick to condemn them for) and your account of military style barricades isn't not only dishonest, it again shows you utter disrespect for your fellow posters. Yes, indeed the PAD later put up barricades around them. But when I passed the RS camp around 2 weeks before Songkran it was too gated, with guards looking each person coming in. As if this in any way would be a negative thing...?

And no, the construction of the PADs camp wasn't done more by the military than the Reds was built by the Police.

And you claim the press, in effect, divides the real numbers by 5. Easy, show us proof. Show us pictures from an overview and let experienced fellow posters calculate the numbers out.

For now, it's just another re-statement of the old 'we are huge, but everyone else say we are not'-complaint.

You will think that such a police presence is warranted, because you have no other terms-of-reference. You have never been to a pro-democracy Red Shirt event. I know, I know, all you anti-Red Shirts will be trumpetting the Songhkran festival thing, but so many circumstances were unique to that event, that it is not a true indication of reality.

The Songkran festival thing? You make it sound so tame. You mean the attempt at violent revolution during the last Songkran, you mean the threats to blow up a gas truck in a large urban slum, the murder by red shirts of innocent poor market workers in Bangkok, the many Molotov cocktails thrown, the violent disruption of an important international meeting that deeply shamed Thailand, you mean the multiple attempts on PM Abhisit's life?

You sir think the foreigners in Thailand and the silent majority of Thai people are stupid and have no memory. Bring on the police and foreigners DO STAY AWAY from red shirt rallies!

BTW, don't believe the pro-democracy propaganda, these are PRO THAKSIN as DICTATOR rallies. It is a cult of personality a la a Thai Il Duce, and educated foreigners know from history how DANGEROUS those are to any country.

The color RED could not be more APT for these true believers in Thaksin. Not red as in communist, red as in agitation, fire, chaos, inflamed VIOLENT passions and BLOOD. The sooner Thaksin gives up the game and his followers realize what a corrupt empty suit he is, the better it is for Thailand. Don't encourage them.

Another propaganda ploy used by these reds, they infer that to be anti-red means you are pro yellow and anti-democracy. That is simply not true.

Edited by Jingthing

I see that the Thai media give much play about this. Blaring headlines about some massive police presence at a citizen's rally. I blatant example of them working their agenda on you, to the extreme. But many of you farangs will swallow it hook-line-and-sinker, with absolutely no credibility. You will think that such a police presence is warranted, because you have no other terms-of-reference. You have never been to a pro-democracy Red Shirt event. I know, I know, all you anti-Red Shirts will be trumpetting the Songhkran festival thing, but so many circumstances were unique to that event, that it is not a true indication of reality. If any of you have been at a RS event, you would know that it is filled with little old ladies, little 5-foot nothing schoolteachers like wifey, and an assortment of very average citizens. The idea of them being a problem for police is ludicrous. There is just no resemblance to the anti-democracy Pad/new-old paternalistic political people with their militarized perimeters, very professionally constructed by the many soldiers and military who are part of that milieu. But nevertheless, by assigning such a police presence to today's rally, the powers-that-be-want to create an impression, and many of you will buy into it. By the way, many of those policemen will be wearing Red Shirts under their police attire. You Farang political junkies should venture out there and watch the proceedings. Be among friends, be treated like royalty...and don't worry, there is no militarized gauntlet for you to run. It is just an enthusiastic gathering of citizenry. And dont get your shirt in a know about Embassy warnings about Farangs staying away from political rallies. They speak from standard bureaucratic procedures, with no recognition or awareness of the peaceful nature of these RS events. I guarantee you political junkies would really enjoy it. A real country-fair type ambience, with food stalls and other paraphernalia all over the place. But it is a wonderful political event enjoyable for all you political junkies like me. You would also see for yourself how your agenized media will grossly under-report the attendance. A neat trick the domestic media uses to do this, is quote the police. That way they are off the hook for journalistic dishonesty. The police are conditioned to downplay the significance of RS events by their superiors, so they have a vested interest in downplaying it by estimating a crowd of 10,000 when there may be 50,000 or more. So watch your newspaper coverage tomorrow and read them quote police-provided attendance figures - than multiply it by about Five, and you may be close.

I dont know if you believe the nonsense you have just written, or if its some kind of wind up. Either way..................

:):D :D :D :D :D

You guys are great entertainment,................. Really you are!!!

Delusional Lemmings. Keep up the good work :D

You will think that such a police presence is warranted, because you have no other terms-of-reference. You have never been to a pro-democracy Red Shirt event. I know, I know, all you anti-Red Shirts will be trumpetting the Songhkran festival thing, but so many circumstances were unique to that event, that it is not a true indication of reality.

The Songkran festival thing? You make it sound so tame. You mean the attempt at violent revolution during the last Songkran, you mean the threats to blow up a gas truck in a large urban slum, the murder by red shirts of innocent poor market workers in Bangkok, the many Molotov cocktails thrown, the violent disruption of an important international meeting that deeply shamed Thailand, you mean the multiple attempts on PM Abhisit's life?

You sir think the foreigners in Thailand and the silent majority of Thai people are stupid and have no memory. Bring on the police and foreigners DO STAY AWAY from red shirt rallies!

BTW, don't believe the pro-democracy propaganda, these are PRO THAKSIN as DICTATOR rallies. It is a cult of personality a la a Thai Il Duce, and educated foreigners know from history how DANGEROUS those are to any country.

The color RED could not be more APT for these true believers in Thaksin. Not red as in communist, red as in agitation, fire, chaos, inflamed VIOLENT passions and BLOOD. The sooner Thaksin gives up the game and his followers realize what a corrupt empty suit he is, the better it is for Thailand. Don't encourage them.

Another propaganda ploy used by these reds, they infer that to be anti-red means you are pro yellow and anti-democracy. That is simply not true.

you forgot to mention how they set that runaway bus to go willy-nilly down the street....

those buggers are bad enough even when there IS a driver :)

you forgot to mention how they set that runaway bus to go willy-nilly down the street....

those buggers are bad enough even when there IS a driver

Yes their dark deeds could fill volumes. How about when the red gangster thugs in Chiang Mai this year shut down a peaceful gay freedom parade under threat of violence? Pro freedom and democracy? Who do they think they are they fooling? They act like they are like Mandella, when they are actually more like his oppressors.

Edited by Jingthing

The most recent reds' violence was only 2 weeks ago against the police in Chiang Mai. But I doubt there will be trouble on this occasion as that will scupper any hope, not that there is, that the pardon will work.

Welcome to Teheran.

You may wish to expand on that comment as your intention was unclear.

People should remember the incredible RESTRAINT the Abhisit government showed against the violent revolutionaries during the Pattaya occupation of the hotel and Bangkok Black Songkran. Certainly NOTHING like what the Iranian government has done against protesters.

Ferwert... Do you believe in paragraphs?

I will try to remember that johnboy. I'm trying to limit the amount of space I use with my drivel, but it does like like a long run-on dissertation doesn't it.

Yes, try also to write with a smaller font.

There's also the bonus that smaller fonts takes up lass space on your hard drive. :)

I didn't read this forum when Taksin was in power, I assume all the hate Taksin rhetoric was the same then?

Also you lot, how about attacking the message rather than the messenger, keeps things civil that way, people are entitled to opinions different to your exalted selves. This is why these Taksin related diatribes are such a bore.

I didn't read this forum when Taksin was in power, I assume all the hate Taksin rhetoric was the same then?

No it wasn't the same. There are different issues at different times and a lot of events have happened since squarehead's glory days. Things change ...

The idea of them being a problem for police is ludicrous.

How about 200 policemen injured when reds attacked Prem's house?

They have been a problem for police in dozens of cities around the country for years on end.

They and their allies have long standing practice of breaking up ANY opposition rallies or speech-making.

But you seem to indicate these relentless tactics are never a problem for peace officers doing their job in each local.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-31

thy should outnumber the protestors at least 3-1 then...

is that so?