Motorcycle Transport By Train

Ithailian

There's a definitive lack of information on the internet about moving a Big Bike from Bangkok by train, so I thought I'd add some recent first-hand experience from when I transported 2008 Ninja from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

Contrary to my initial worry, the couple of times I went to the Hua Lompong train station in Bangkok to 'scope things out' I could see numerous other bikes in transit ... OK, not big bikes, but scooters nonetheless, so moving a bike by train was not 100% virgin territory as the lack of info on the internet would lead one to believe.

The process starts with buying a passenger ticket on the train you want the bike to go on. As I understand it, you must have a passenger ticket before one can ship a bike. So ... I purchased a Second-class sleeper ticket from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on the Express #13. Cost 700 baht. The train was scheduled to depart BKK at 1935 and arriving the next day at Chiang Mai at 0945. Yes .. 14 hours, more on that later.

With ticket in hand, you have to bring (ride) your bike up onto sidewalk, up under the covered walkway, maneuver between the throngs of people at the taxi queue, and go inside the fence near the train tracks. There is an entryway through the fence on the outside the main terminal hall, so the 'crazy farang' looks I got were somewhat limited.

Once inside the fence area near the tracks (track #13 I think) there is a booth with the word SCALES on it. A couple guys sitting in there will take your ticket and then have a good natured fun at estimating how much the bike actually weighs. I didn't see any scales anywhere but they joked around a bit and came up with the number :D . 160kg. (Actual weight is 169kg - dry). Wow, they were close!

At this point one has to produce ID (passport), copy of the green book, and the freight fee .. in this case, a grand total of 1300 Baht. In return they put a sticker on the seat of your bike which provides the details (destination, train #, etc).

The entire process above can be completed in less than 30 minutes if no one is ahead of you. To be safe, I'd arrive 1 hour before the train departs. These guys were not able to speak much English so, if you can' t communicate in Thai, bring help or give yourself some extra time.

Then, about 20 minutes before departure, the porters will show up and move the bike over to the track. About 15 minutes before departure, the train's locomotive and cargo car arrive and connect to the passenger cars. Then, it's time to load.

From what I've seen, bikes go on first. There was a forklift available but the porters surely didn't need it for the bike. About six of them simply picked the bike up, hoisted it the 4 ft to the car-door, and rolled it in. They knew how to do it and I was quite impressed. If it was a really big bike, maybe they'd forklift it up.

Once inside, they will find a good spot for the bike. Generally, it must be tied up against a wall of the train so we picked a good spot right in the middle. I had brought with me some foam, bubble wrap, and my own "high quality" rope and with those supplies, it was very easy for them to secure the bike well and put foam between any part of the bike that might rub during the trip. Then, over the entire top of the bike we put the bubble wrap. AFter the bike was all set, other cargo (boxes and such) were loaded around it on the floor. The porters were quite conscientious about the way they handled things though.

Looking back, the bubble wrap was a 'nice to have', but the good rope and small foam blocks, I think they were a 'must haves'.

With the bike secure, I was supposed to get on the train and ride the 14 hours to Chiang Mai but the thought of it was killing me, so I threw caution to the wind and quietly exited stage left to a place where I could watch to make sure they didn't pull the bike off if I wasn't on. The train pulled out at 1935 .. right on schedule ... and I made my way to my favorite watering hole for some beers, then home to a nice comfortable bed.

Now, remember it was 700 Baht to spend 14 hours in a train with all walks of life. Option B (my choice) was Bangkok Airways 1500 Baht (all inclusive) ... total flying time ... 1 hour and 15 minutes. I arrived in Chiang Mai right on time at 915am! :D

A quick 80 baht taxi ride to the Chiang Mai train station, and I was informed the train was about 1 hour late ... that would be 15 hours from BKK!

When the train arrived, some more porters showed up (albeit not as many as in BKK), and they quite skillfully got the bike off the train ... good as new. There was no forklift to be seen in Chiang Mai, so a really big bike might take a bit longer to round up the people needed to handle it. The station attendant simply asked for my receipt (they won't release the bike without it) and I was free to go. That's it. The time from when the train arrived to when I was rolling down the road was less than 20 minutes. Sweet!!

So, in summary, I think moving bikes (even bigger ones) by Train in Thailand is a great way to go. Not without risk, but that risk can be minimized ... and, so long as one can avoid having to ride the train ... :) ... what more can I say. Awesome.

Wow man, great work. Thanks sharing that. I gotta say I am a little surprised the bike made it without you on the train.

However, I wouldn't call the lack of information "definitive"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Motorcycle-T...in-t247582.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sending-Moto...nd-t247566.html

One BM reports being told you cannot use trains to "ship" your bike, only travel with it.

I like this picture:

post-70760-1249048362_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scubabuddha

I mailed my Wave 125 last month from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Simple and easy, just drive it to the post office with two copies of green book and passport (with matching names). Pick up at the post office you designate. About 1000 baht I think and about 2 days.

Thanks, its great to share this information. I am looking for a way to get my scooter to Koh Samui.

I heard sending by post office is always 1000 Baht - regardles of destination. Train is cheaper. Can someone confirm this?

Great info, thanks for sharing. I was the OP for the bike being hoisted on to the bus. It was in Luangprabang Laos, with the bus bound for Vienchiene (SP?) It took them a while to get it up there but you could tell they were used to rigging and had done it before. The bus was packed with people and their assorted baggage but I don't remember any livestock:D

The bus didn't stop much and I was dying to take a leak. I waited as long as I could, then yelled out "Pee, yak pai hang nam reaw, reaw!" (Brother, I have to go to the toilet now!) In unison everybody turned around to look at me, then they started chanting "Hang nam, hang nam" and gave the driver hel_l until he pulled over. I shot out the door like a rocket but there were plenty of people behind me, also "in need."

Funny but true story, I kidd you not :)

• 6 months later...

Thank you for the excellent post! Next time, go for the experience. Take a book, maybe connect the netbook via the mobile phone to the internet. Order a cold beer and some grub. Take a shower in a stainless steel chamber. Unless you are very long, you will be okay and might enjoy the train ride! I do... Chris

Why not ride the bike from BKK - CM? Give yourself 2 or 3 days and see some of the country.

Brigante7.

The scenary from Bkk up to CM is not up to much .I have just driven this route 6 times in the last month .Around CM though you will find great biking roads .

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
50 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

Good post.  yes I would ride it also.  Two to three days.  You can put small bikes on buses or Negoiate a pickup to transport it for you.

This thread is 10 years old, i'm quite certain he got the bike to his destination already

• Haha 1