Reputation And Tourism

No1Britguy

I sometimes browse the forum because It has a lot of useful information for first time visitors and even seasoned travelers.

My first trip to Thailand or LOS(I'm not so sure the later now applies) is in september but I am seriously re thinking my holiday due to the fact that all I ever seem to encounter is stories of scams and corruption ie: the King Power duty free shop lifting scams, and the taxi scams and the gem scams..........I could go on.... and tips for this tips for that etc.

I was wondering if anyone from the Thai tourist board ever look at forums like this and take on board peoples concerns.

It seems that Thailand is so prosperous they don't need tourists and therefore driving them away through corruption and scams would be no big loss, Oh and I nearly forgot , the amount of foreign "suicide" rates in a place that supposed to be fun is a real cause for concern for me too.

Somehow I don't think I will be taking that trip to Thailand in sept, maybe better to go to a country that is less concerned about ripping off the very people that pay their wages(us tourists) and go to one where there is a genuine feeling that you are welcome instead of being seen as a walking atm ripe for the picking.

Perhaps if you feel so bad about the place you would be better going somewhere else.

Don't forget though, no-where is perfect !!!

Welcome to Thai Visa by the way, I see your a newbie - Pattaya_Girl.

.... Thank you for the welcome Pattaya_girl, I may be new to posting because I tend to browse the forum rather than post.

For many years I have contemplated visiting Thailand only to end up visiting either America or Canada which I have done several times each.

Don't get me wrong with my post, I don't have a gripe with Thai people in general but it is just the bad experiences I read about on here and other forums.

As you quite rightly said, no where is perfect but at the same time, when visiting Canada or America I never had a bad experience nor the people I met have ever tried to scam me, be they taxi drivers, waitresses, or anyone else, that's not to say it can't happen but it seems more prevalent in Thailand, but when you give me advice saying if I feel so bad about going there then go somewhere else, if we all took that line then there would be no more people going there would there?

I think better than saying "if you don't like the scamming, the corruption and rip offs then go somewhere else" you should be saying that the goverment need to stop the actions of a few spoiling the reputation of Thailand and it's people therefore encouraging tourism which means jobs and prosperity.

Just my thoughts.

Welcome and don't forget, it is never as bad as it is painted.

Thailand has problems but the good points far outweighs the difficulties. Come to Thailand, keep your wits about you and you will be OK, same as in any other country.

Just would like you to reconsider. If you have read many of the posts on the forum then you will be better warned to avoid most of the problems tourists encounter here.

If you do change your mind then I envy you....1st time in Thailand is a fantastic experience.

Edited by smokie36

OP you seem like the type of person that looks into things for a long time before you act on them. Thats a good thing. If you feel you have alot of common sense & have lived a little then YOU will be fine visiting Thailand & as smokey pointed out, you are now well aware of some to the scams and stuff that go down here, so you are miles in front of alot of other first timers.

Go for it, you don't want to live life from the insides of a cotton filled box, do you? Theres also heaps of other great countries in the region, have you considered Vietnam?

Good luck to you, hope you enjoy

I sometimes browse the forum because It has a lot of useful information for first time visitors and even seasoned travelers.

My first trip to Thailand or LOS(I'm not so sure the later now applies) is in september but I am seriously re thinking my holiday due to the fact that all I ever seem to encounter is stories of scams and corruption ie: the King Power duty free shop lifting scams, and the taxi scams and the gem scams..........I could go on.... and tips for this tips for that etc.

I was wondering if anyone from the Thai tourist board ever look at forums like this and take on board peoples concerns.

It seems that Thailand is so prosperous they don't need tourists and therefore driving them away through corruption and scams would be no big loss, Oh and I nearly forgot , the amount of foreign "suicide" rates in a place that supposed to be fun is a real cause for concern for me too.

Somehow I don't think I will be taking that trip to Thailand in sept, maybe better to go to a country that is less concerned about ripping off the very people that pay their wages(us tourists) and go to one where there is a genuine feeling that you are welcome instead of being seen as a walking atm ripe for the picking.

Never mind

Edited by Misplaced

OP you seem like the type of person that looks into things for a long time before you act on them. Thats a good thing. If you feel you have alot of common sense & have lived a little then YOU will be fine visiting Thailand & as smokey pointed out, you are now well aware of some to the scams and stuff that go down here, so you are miles in front of alot of other first timers.

Go for it, you don't want to live life from the insides of a cotton filled box, do you? Theres also heaps of other great countries in the region, have you considered Vietnam?

Thank you for your comments guys, I do tend to think things through and always like to do a little research on places I visit.

I have never been a victim of scams myself, maybe due to common sense and being very street savy.

As for living in a cotton filled box I like a few bevies the same as the next guy and I'm one of those that like to go off the beaten track, not a beach person myself, I would like to visit The bridge over the river Kwai, Angkor Watt amongst other things, and have back packed around Europe 4 times.

I think my post was in part just to give others a sense of reasoning of why tourism is down, not only for people that have visited but for first timers such as my self.

After reading comments left by others I have concluded I may have been a little hasty in my posting and will keep to my plans to visit in sept.

Many thanks.

So pleased you decided to keep to your plans and risk it - please come back after your visit and let us know what you thought of the place.

Thailand is a lovely place and I am sure that once you visit, you will then have it in your blood like most of us expats living here long term.

Good luck and Enjoy. :)

I don't know whether to say come or not.

It is pretty bad in all honesty, or at least not nearly so good as it was.

I don't think it's the major scams that are the concern as these may be perpetrated on those who are in some way walking the wild side, but even if you just want a peaceful holiday you may be subject to petty scams left, right and centre.

I wouldn't listen to posters who assume the role of unofficial Thai tourist board if I were you.

Perhaps if you feel so bad about the place you would be better going somewhere else.

Well not perfect sure, but I've not heard of routine decapitations in Cornwall ( south of England), or civil war in Belgium, or extortion rackets at the duty free at JFK......!

This why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet!

a) How many people fly out of the airport and shop at KP everyday and don't have a problem?

b)Taxi scam??? every taxi has a set meter rate if the driver trys to bargain take the taxi behind him that will use the meter

c)Gem scams, well you would have to be very stupid and naive to fall for this...

d)Suicide rates? The heart attack victims (old man blue pill and young sexy kitten)

Upto you but believe me it's your loss and if you have lurked as you have stated you would have seen as many "in defence of Thailand" posts.....

My advice from a decade of experience in the LoS and never encountering any of your exaggerated paranoid fears is that.

A) don't shoplift and pay for all goods before leaving any premises

:) Only go with taxi meters that are moving and you have hailed or from the official taxi lines at the airport

c) Never allow a taxi/tuk tuk or any stranger decide where you should go (would you do this back home?)

d) if you are unfit, over weight or over 60 don't drop a blue pill and take a girl young enough to be your grand daughter to a hotel unless you want to die happy ;-)

On TV you need to sort the chaff from the wheat...

The youngsters like me under 40 who have met and married girls from a normal life in Thailand and not a bar

(we are the ones who funnily enough don't seem to encounter all these problems)

Sexpats on a holiday.... well go ahead and take advantage of young, poorly educated girls who have no choice and then wonder why they try to extract as much cash from you as they can.

In my experience

People who hang around bar girls (beach boys for girls) are the ones who have most trouble

Thank you for your comments guys, I do tend to think things through and always like to do a little research on places I visit.

I have never been a victim of scams myself, maybe due to common sense and being very street savy.

As for living in a cotton filled box I like a few bevies the same as the next guy and I'm one of those that like to go off the beaten track, not a beach person myself, I would like to visit The bridge over the river Kwai, Angkor Watt amongst other things, and have back packed around Europe 4 times.

I think my post was in part just to give others a sense of reasoning of why tourism is down, not only for people that have visited but for first timers such as my self.

After reading comments left by others I have concluded I may have been a little hasty in my posting and will keep to my plans to visit in sept.

Many thanks.

You have backed pack around Europe 4 times and are scared of Thailand :):D :D :D :D :D

This post is a wind up, surely?

Just would like you to reconsider. If you have read many of the posts on the forum then you will be better warned to avoid most of the problems tourists encounter here.

If you do change your mind then I envy you....1st time in Thailand is a fantastic experience.

Education is always a good thing. At least you know what to watch for in Thailand. I don’t think you have this information about any other place and as Pattaya_girl said, “no-where is perfect !!!

Don't come, the less the better as far as i care, old hands know were to go, and what to stay away from, the less tourists the more the scammers will crawl into their holes and disappear. Vietnam is a great safe place, go there, but if its your nature you will get ripped off anywhere.

Sure Thailand is not the same as 15/20 years ago , but where is? not my home town for sure. If you want a vacation take a resort holiday in Cuba and you will have a ball.

Always remember that boring news is not reported. Only sensational news makes the headlines. If nothing really happens to someone there is no need to mention it on a forum. Therefore, what you are reading maybe true, but far out of the every day normal happenings.

I live on what some people might think is a sleeply little Island in British Columbia. But, if I reported all the nasty stuff that goes on behind the scenes every day then I could make it seem like the worst place in the world. I've spent a lot of time in Thailand, and Chiang Mai in particular, and can't say I've ever had a problem of any kind. And, I do spend my time around bars in the evening where supposedly the "bad stuff" happens.

However, I can't say the same about the Philippines. That country CAN be a bad place to hang out if you don't have your wits about you.

Better stay home. Every day for the past 4 years I have been caught stealing items from King Power and forced to pay a $3000 bribe, I am taken to a gem shop twice a week and forced to buy plastic diamonds, I am pickpocketed on average 3 times a day, have never paid less than 500 baht for a taxi, and have committed suicide over 300 times.

Yes.......that is precisely the point.........the image of Thailand has been tarnished on many fronts over the past ten years, especially since, say 2005.

UN data seems to be showing that increasing numbers of tourists are decided to avoid Thailand for other places like Malaysia, Cambodia, the Philippines and Vietnam, and Indonesia (particularly Bali).

But, if you have never been here, it will be a new experience. And you are already aware of the scams.

Hello, this site has many things to educate the foreigners that want to go to Thailand for a good time. I feel that Thailand is for the more advanced traveler as the language and writing is not like anything in the west, but there are many new experiences in many ways for the people looking for a change. Use good judgement as most people can choose their fate, and welcome to the Land Of Smiles. Cheers.

Better stay home. Every day for the past 4 years I have been caught stealing items from King Power and forced to pay a $3000 bribe, I am taken to a gem shop twice a week and forced to buy plastic diamonds, I am pickpocketed on average 3 times a day, have never paid less than 500 baht for a taxi, and have committed suicide over 300 times.

Gosh,what a novice ,that happens to me almost every day when we go to Tesco. but then my life is lived on the wild side ,we even shop at Carrfour sometimes here in sin city. :)

Edited by thaimate

a) How many people fly out of the airport and shop at KP everyday and don't have a problem?

b)Taxi scam??? every taxi has a set meter rate if the driver trys to bargain take the taxi behind him that will use the meter

c)Gem scams, well you would have to be very stupid and naive to fall for this...

d)Suicide rates? The heart attack victims (old man blue pill and young sexy kitten)

Upto you but believe me it's your loss and if you have lurked as you have stated you would have seen as many "in defence of Thailand" posts.....

My advice from a decade of experience in the LoS and never encountering any of your exaggerated paranoid fears is that.

:D Only go with taxi meters that are moving and you have hailed or from the official taxi lines at the airport

c) Never allow a taxi/tuk tuk or any stranger decide where you should go (would you do this back home?)

d) if you are unfit, over weight or over 60 don't drop a blue pill and take a girl young enough to be your grand daughter to a hotel unless you want to die happy ;-)

The youngsters like me under 40 who have met and married girls from a normal life in Thailand and not a bar

Sexpats on a holiday.... well go ahead and take advantage of young, poorly educated girls who have no choice and then wonder why they try to extract as much cash from you as they can.

In my experience

People who hang around bar girls (beach boys for girls) are the ones who have most trouble

THATS ME! I'm a youngster under 40! :) Hate to be an old cruuunt!

Edited by neverdie

Thailand is one of the easiest countries to make a holiday. I can only shake the head by your worries. Thousands of young Western women for instance travel throughout Thailand alone since decades and having a good time.

Or are we talking about a holiday in Kashmir, Nigeria, Columbia or at islands in the Sulu Sea ??

:) Only go with taxi meters that are moving and you have hailed or from the official taxi lines at the airport

In my experience

the poster has done some research which is fair enough and should not be accused of exaggerated paranoid fears

he has probably looked at several places on the internet including tv, and has read the ingram story ( the thai ambassador in london is involved and there have been steps taken to claen up the airport scams. all this is confirmed news )

i'm glad you've had a decade of no trouble. i have as well. but i am aware of the reality and what has happened to others.

.... Thank you for the welcome Pattaya_girl, I may be new to posting because I tend to browse the forum rather than post.

For many years I have contemplated visiting Thailand only to end up visiting either America or Canada which I have done several times each.

Don't get me wrong with my post, I don't have a gripe with Thai people in general but it is just the bad experiences I read about on here and other forums.

As you quite rightly said, no where is perfect but at the same time, when visiting Canada or America I never had a bad experience nor the people I met have ever tried to scam me, be they taxi drivers, waitresses, or anyone else, that's not to say it can't happen but it seems more prevalent in Thailand, but when you give me advice saying if I feel so bad about going there then go somewhere else, if we all took that line then there would be no more people going there would there?

I think better than saying "if you don't like the scamming, the corruption and rip offs then go somewhere else" you should be saying that the goverment need to stop the actions of a few spoiling the reputation of Thailand and it's people therefore encouraging tourism which means jobs and prosperity.

Just my thoughts.

Exactly. Better for farang to think of positive ways to help resolve their bad press than to say: well don't come then. that doesn't ever solve a problem

Don't know quite sure if that {the OP} was a political statement or not. Personally, I've always enjoyed the dreamy envision that some day Thailand would basically rid itself from this tourism-related dependency and adjust to be more self-sufficient without the anxious perceptions of what perspective travellers might consider one way or another. This fuzzy idealism would also find a place as it might discourage foreign residents from settling as well. Domestic infighting and political upheaval might be one thing - as the world might view us, but other contributing factors toward discouragement is largely the criminal element. Rather a paradox the feeds itself. The criminal atmosphear has increased 50 fold in the last half century since the advent of Farang/Western introductions into the society. Tourist, travellers, residents, short-timers, long-timers......pretty much the blame and created industry that is attached.