Bangkok Jaywalkers Subject Of Police Blitz

george

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe if money were not the motive and they educated Thai drivers to give way to pedestrians who do walk in crossings, there would be rhyme to this reasoning. Otherwise it is totally laughable. As to scamming funds for dropping cigarettes - why is it ok to throw bags fo rubbish into vacant allotments and nothing happens or into the klongs? Get real. :D

And try asking for a receipt for your funds taken - yeah right!

If the Police bothered to stop you and tell you that you are Jaywalking on your time, you bet I will and have insisted on a receipt. I have gottened it. Especially when you :) ask in Thai. Kup Koung Kup??

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blitz? What happened to crackdowns? Too long a word nowadays as there are so many crackdo....oh can't be bothered....blitzes. Has there been any shakedowns lately? Maybe a 'strike out at....' Try too? Attempt to? Aw forget it. Let's just grab as much tea money as we can from who we can now there are less tourists to blitz. (chose 'blitz' because it's shorter than shakedown).

What on earth is next? I can see international news getting hold of this important 'jaywalkers fining' and really stepping up to show Thailand in a good light...but watch out tourist jaywalkers. You will, for sure, be in the newly empowered corrupt, extortion professional, good ol' trustworthy, serve and protect, all round good guys....the BIB's focus.

TOURISTS BEWARE! Best you jog around BKK using every convenient road crossing and don't smoke....in fact don't jog anywhere near a cigarette butt as you'll surely be fined for dropping it even if you don't smoke.

Have always loved this country but hey, it's gonna disappear up it's own ar*e soon if it can't make sensible decisions. IMO

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

Foreigners are the main target... MHO

Maybe someone in the Government, that REALLY had a brain in his head should INVENT ROAD RULES FIRST for Thai Drivers,and educate them on WHAT a Pedestrian crossing is for and how MOST of the civilized world STOPS for Pedestrians , and not try to run them down, then get the DAMM MOTORCYCLES OFF THE FOOTPATHS, I think think the police could become millionaires if they did that.

what :) Maybe someone in the Government, that REALLY had a brain in his head :D

Edit: Have you ever NOT jaywalked in Bangkok? Probably only when using a bridge or sky train station.

The ONLY safe way (other than stated and by taxi) to cross the roads in LOS, is to take your chances and do the bolt.

My experience has shown time and time again that pedestrian crossings are simply target rich environments.

If the BIB and the money sucking hordes really want to make some fast cash, then they should simply stand at the zebra crossings, noting down the number plates of all offenders, radio them through to 'collection' points ahead and scoop the lotto.

Simple really, but maybe too dangerous, as that would be targeting everyday Thai's and couldn't be specifically customised for farangs.

Love the country and love the King, but sick and tired of all the 'sins'.

Peace 2 all.

PK.

My feeling is that since a while the traffic police is not enforcing law anymore. In my Saphan Kwai area, I drive my motorcycle without any helmet since 1 or 2 year. Only motorcycle drivers going far wear an helmet. Less and less helmet in my street.

Yes I do drive the bike on the pavement in case of traffic jam.

Yes, I'm ashamed.

Police officers see me / us every day and do not tell anything.

BUT, I do not jaywalk. I'm not suicidal.

My guess is that no one will be fine due to jaywalking. "They" just announced that to create animation in Thaivisa forum.

"I am not suicidal I do not jaywalk, I drive my motorcycle without any helmet since 1 or 2 year" No your not suicidal your just a freeeking idiot, you should be in an asylum.

But did this bloody crazy muppet that came out with this great idea actually made some sort of research first? Is this person aware of how many zebra crossings ends up(and sometime even start from) places unaccessible to pedestrians? I mean walls, houses, bushes, etc, were you really start thinking what the hel_l were they thinking about when they create such "URBAN BAD JOKES", were they all drunk or just got corrupted at some point(as usual), why don't they do something about vehicles going in the wrong way, motorcicles riding at full speed on the foothpaths, or even check all the live electric wires in the open air almost everywhere? Honestly the list of the main priorities it's endless, what a circus! Lets see the funny side of it....

Of course the fines are to generate revenue. Were you people born on Mars? That's what municipal authorities do. People who jaywalk in the areas that are mentioned in the OP are a danger to themselves and others. The real shame of this is that it only works because usually people on foot are less well off than someone in a Mercedes rushing a red light and the lowly coppers can size up their target in the caste system. Anyone remember the day they strung up wire in the median of Phahonyothin from Victory Monument to Jatujak? Before that, on any given day it was like watching level 10 of Frogger.

This is a classic thread. You are taking me back to my street policing days. Everyones got something to say about how the Police, police.

Whenever someone gets caught breaking the law they say, "What about him, what about that, what about this, what about blah blah blah"

If you break the law and get caught, tuffin the fark up and COP IT SWEET. If you are being loaded up and didnt do anything wrong, proceed to thai visa and have a winge, fair enuf.

Some of you people have to realise that Police Orders mostly flow DOWNHILL, which means these poor simple baaastards in brown are actually been directed out into the street to terrorise people for this. If your feeling all so high and mightly, go and see the Police Commanders that made this decision and discuss it with them.....I'm sure they will listen to what you have to say. :D

Its simple, in the mean time, don't jwalk. :)

I do hope this jaywalking crackdown does not apply to Chiang Mai, long stretches of our so called sidewalks are blocked by such things as electricity poles, phone booths, trees, peculiar rubber ornaments [ are these rubbish bins]? Trees, commerse, parked cars and motor cycles, you name it and chances are something will force you to take to the road if you are to proceed much less cross it. But I love it.

Crackdown on jaywalking! Ha!

Well they better do something. A friend just sent me a link to the BBC story, currently going around the planet, about the Airport King Power scam. That story is really starting to get legs. It has come full circle now. Thailand better get of it's ass, or risk losing the whole fish!

I am not optimistic.

Don't forget that from August 1th you have to stop when an pedestrian cross the Zebra crossing and if not, will get a fine.

So overall this new enforcement of the law is a good thing, and hopefully will bring some discipline in the Bangkok traffic hel_l;

Henry, would you like to be the guinea pig on using a zebra crossing on the 11th? :)

Whilst, the laws are good, I very much doubt that they will be enforced in the appropriate manner, and the continuing traffic nonsense will continue. If they actually took the fines out of the police remit, whereby they only issued a ticket, and payment was made to a court, then some of the BS might actually be eradicated.

Henry, would you like to be the guinea pig on using a zebra crossing on the 11th? :D

I have an excellent life insurance so maybe my wife will supporting me to be the guinea pig :D

I think they should launch a campaign on television to educate the people in traffic behaviuor.

Thais are not taught any type of road safety as children at home or at school. They just learn from example - following their parents flitting across unlit expressways at night. Jay walkers are definitely a hazard. I have narrowly avoided hitting these shadowy figures on numerous occasions. You know well that you will be shaken down big time by the cops, if you ever do hit one. Jay riding motor bikes are another big problem i.e. bikers hauling their bikes over the central reservation and suddenly lurching out in front of oncoming traffic - not to mention riding on the wrong side of the road. Unfortunately I don't think there are enough pedestrian crossings and bridges and cars don't stop at zebra crossings without traffic lights. So I don't think this will help things much but it will be a nice earner for the cops and a welcome distraction from hunting down dangerous criminals and corrupt government officials. Dual pricing will no doubt be applied to foreign jay walkers. They are more likely to be asked for 2,000 baht not 200 and no doubt most will just pay up and let every one know about the lastest Thai scam on the internet.

Mabey I'm just looking at at it wrong!

Yellow Vs. Red shirts shut down the airport= Democracy in action!

Scams every which way you turn in Bangkok= Unabashed capitalists!

Jaywalking fines= O.K., as long as they give me accurate directions the the restaurant I am looking for!

More "income" is rolling in... and this "law" will be exploited merciless to the fullest extend

How stupid is it to jay walk in Bangkok! If tourist are the mark I can think of few tourist places that are safe to Jay Walk. <deleted>, you can't jaywalk across the car park in front of the HRC...

BTW, I'll tell you what else is stupid... The gent in the right side of your avi who shot up a combo of H-Bomb and Snow.... Jaywalk across Suk, <deleted>, I find it a bit crafty to walk with the light across Suk at Nana...

and I've done it hundreds of times.. Spot fines for some dumb farang who wished to snarl traffic by getting in to a bang up with some poor motorbike taxi driver trying to make a living... Fine the farang... <deleted> go to Singapore a fine city!

This post is someting from the Berkely Barb in 1966! This guy must be related to Spiro Agnew!

My feeling is that since a while the traffic police is not enforcing law anymore. In my Saphan Kwai area, I drive my motorcycle without any helmet since 1 or 2 year. Only motorcycle drivers going far wear an helmet. Less and less helmet in my street.

Yes I do drive the bike on the pavement in case of traffic jam.

Yes, I'm ashamed.

Police officers see me / us every day and do not tell anything.

BUT, I do not jaywalk. I'm not suicidal.

My guess is that no one will be fine due to jaywalking. "They" just announced that to create animation in Thaivisa forum.

"I am not suicidal I do not jaywalk, I drive my motorcycle without any helmet since 1 or 2 year" No your not suicidal your just a freeeking idiot, you should be in an asylum.

It's just that helmet damages my perm. Something lawyers and cops cannot understand.

How stupid is it to jay walk in Bangkok! If tourist are the mark I can think of few tourist places that are safe to Jay Walk. <deleted>, you can't jaywalk across the car park in front of the HRC...

BTW, I'll tell you what else is stupid... The gent in the right side of your avi who shot up a combo of H-Bomb and Snow.... Jaywalk across Suk, <deleted>, I find it a bit crafty to walk with the light across Suk at Nana...

and I've done it hundreds of times.. Spot fines for some dumb farang who wished to snarl traffic by getting in to a bang up with some poor motorbike taxi driver trying to make a living... Fine the farang... <deleted> go to Singapore a fine city!

What can i say but??????????????????????????????????????????

This post is someting from the Berkely Barb in 1966! This guy must be related to Spiro Agnew!

I thought they were also supposed to be targetting motorists who fail to stop for pedestrians on a Marked Crossing - what happened to that one?

---------------------------------------

Are you sure that is against the law???????????? In isaan I know that there is nothing saying that I must stop for

pedestrians on a Marked Crossing.

Anyhow.... I am happy if they will enforce to 100% and fine these guys XXXXX

Glegolo

Dear Glegolo,

This is NOT a death threat.

<deleted> are you talking about, this thread is about Jay walking.

Jay Walking is defined as follows:

It refers to a person specifically a pedestrian who walks on the street or crosses the street without following any traffic rules like not walking on corners or footpaths, not crossing roads on cross walks or ignoring the signal lights.

--------------------------------

Neverdie,, nice to see that you are on your toes again, hahaha!! You must be frustrated, you add post after post after post after post, but still it is 3.716 sorry.... hehehe!!!

I was responding to sweetdreams, but thank you for clearing up the jaywalking stuff, it´s good to know... I think you better call in

IvanK...... he is good at that!!

glegolo

^flegolo, <deleted> are you talking about. Can you clarify what 3.71 is and also who the hel_l is ivanK?

Man you have really lost it this time, Im glad the mod removed your previous flame, thats absolutely disgusting what you said, you need to take a very long hard look at yourself. :)

Maybe someone in the Government, that REALLY had a brain in his head should INVENT ROAD RULES FIRST for Thai Drivers,and educate them on WHAT a Pedestrian crossing is for and how MOST of the civilized world STOPS for Pedestrians , and not try to run them down, then get the DAMM MOTORCYCLES OFF THE FOOTPATHS, I think think the police could become millionaires if they did that.

the only so called civilised country I know of where motorists stop is the UK.

The other 69 countries I have visited, you should take out life insurance before attempting crossing a road. I'd also be interested in knowing which countries on this planet could be considered civilised? I'm struggling to think of any.

Certainly not the torture capitals of the world as in the USA or UK. Maybe France, at least they put food and eat before doing anything. Even before attempting to cross the road.

Most of the foreigners I know in thailand like thailand because it's not civilised and long may it remain that way.

The Thais in general have not much good to say about their own police force, but they live with it.

Why?

They talk underneath each other, when the meet at the local bookie to make their football bets. Didn't you know??

^flegolo, <deleted> are you talking about. Can you clarify what 3.71 is and also who the hel_l is ivanK?

Man you have really lost it this time, Im glad the mod removed your previous flame, thats absolutely disgusting what you said, you need to take a very long hard look at yourself. :D

Neverdie.

I would be inclined to agree with you. but in fear of being moderated and adding to your ever increasing fan club I abstain. :):D:D

Agree 200%. Motorcyclists in general here are extremly irritating bastards. :)

thank buddha all those motorcyclists are not motorists

the only so called civilised country I know of where motorists stop is the UK.

The other 69 countries I have visited, you should take out life insurance before attempting crossing a road. I'd also be interested in knowing which countries on this planet could be considered civilised? I'm struggling to think of any.

Certainly not the torture capitals of the world as in the USA or UK. Maybe France, at least they put food and eat before doing anything. Even before attempting to cross the road.

Most of the foreigners I know in thailand like thailand because it's not civilised and long may it remain that way.

Well spoken!