Slight Of Hand Change

slapout

Filled the truck this morning with fuel. The attendant counted out my change, 860 baht in front of me, put the 20's on top of the 100's and slipped a 100 baht bill out. When he gave me the total change, I told him to count again, his reply, "I count 2 times" . I then counted the bills in front of him and he sheepishly handed over the 100. He may not be up to expert status yet but I will say he is pretty good. He works at the pump next to DK bookstore.

I've had problems with change at that same station twice, both times with an old woman.

Best to avoid the place.

I sometimes have to use the place late at night after I've closed up. It's the seediest Gas Station in town.

That's not a complaint - just an observation.

PS - I'm glad no-one pointed out the sleight spelling mistake.

Edited by KevinHunt

This happened to me at the same petrol (Gas if you’re a yank) station a few months ago.

I drove in on my motorbike and asked an attendant to fill it up.

The attendant was a young thin guy about 19 years old. The petrol came to 70 baht and I gave the guy a 1000 baht note because I had no smaller money on me. He began counting out a load of small denomination notes from his bag, a few 100s, 50s and a quite of lot of 20s, yet I could see he had some 500s and couldn’t understand why he was giving me all this small change.

The guy slapped the notes into my hand and quickly began walking off. Suspecting a rat here, I immediately called the attendant back and counted my change in front of him. There was 100 baht short. I just stuck my hand out in front of him and blocked his way. Suddenly he opened his right hand showing the 100 baht note. I snatched it from him and physically pushed the guy out of my way.

Never been back since.

This happened to me at the same petrol (Gas if you’re a yank) station a few months ago.

I drove in on my motorbike and asked an attendant to fill it up.

The attendant was a young thin guy about 19 years old. The petrol came to 70 baht and I gave the guy a 1000 baht note because I had no smaller money on me. He began counting out a load of small denomination notes from his bag, a few 100s, 50s and a quite of lot of 20s, yet I could see he had some 500s and couldn’t understand why he was giving me all this small change.

The guy slapped the notes into my hand and quickly began walking off. Suspecting a rat here, I immediately called the attendant back and counted my change in front of him. There was 100 baht short. I just stuck my hand out in front of him and blocked his way. Suddenly he opened his right hand showing the 100 baht note. I snatched it from him and physically pushed the guy out of my way.

Never been back since.

Thank you slapout, naboo and sassienie for the heads-up. I'll never go to that station.

I'll bet the young crook scores more times than he gets caught. Unfortunately, in Thailand a farang is a mark and will get no support from management or the police. The young scammer will continue to play the game with very little chance of reprisal.

Filled the truck this morning with fuel. The attendant counted out my change, 860 baht in front of me, put the 20's on top of the 100's and slipped a 100 baht bill out. When he gave me the total change, I told him to count again, his reply, "I count 2 times" . I then counted the bills in front of him and he sheepishly handed over the 100. He may not be up to expert status yet but I will say he is pretty good. He works at the pump next to DK bookstore.

Where's this station? DK Books upstream from Loi Kroh?

Unfortunately it's the petrol station that is going to loose in the long run, and not the miserable little thief they have on the pumps. If enought people complained he would be fired. However, he would only turn up at another station, or being out of a job, turn to more serious crimes.

A lot of people have read this thread, and will probably avoid going there. Perhaps checking your change, and if there is a discrepency, let the little thief know that you are onto him. He might mend his ways, but then again....... this is Thailand after all. :)

[quote name='Maejo Man' date='2009-08-02 07:55:19' post='2913372'

A lot of people have read this thread, and will probably avoid going there.

A lot of people have read this thread and we haven't a clue where it ,or the DK bookstore, is. So it will be difficult to avoid. But I'm sure the in-crowd will benefit.

I use this place regularly and have not (to my knowledge) been short changed.

One thing I do look for at every gas station though is ensure the meter is reset to zero before they start to fill my tank. In fact I do not open the tank cover until I see the meter has been reset to zero.

This was a wide spread scam (where they left the last fill on the meter) not all that long ago.

A lot of people have read this thread and we haven't a clue where it ,or the DK bookstore, is. So it will be difficult to avoid. But I'm sure the in-crowd will benefit.

Don't whine. Per google DK Bookstore is just south of Loi Khro where it meets the moat.

Edited by venturalaw

I'll bet the young crook scores more times than he gets caught. Unfortunately, in Thailand a farang is a mark and will get no support from management or the police. The young scammer will continue to play the game with very little chance of reprisal.

Unfortunately Ian is correct. There is little downside risk for the thai crooks that scam farangs. Thats why they do it...

Duakamon books (DK) is the largest book shop in northern Thailand and is on Kotchasarn Road just south of Loi Kroh Road. Now you are part of the "in-crowd" :)

They also tried it on with us there a while back (mentioned in an earlier thread). I would suggest (if you really must go there) get out of your car and watch the dials on the pump to ensure they put in the amount you ask for. Or if you ask for a fill-up they will say it took 1,000 baht, when it only took 900, etc. If you don't watch they will quickly switch it back to zero so you can't check - which is what they tried with us. I only picked up on it because the car tank had never taken that much to fill - so I demanded they verify. The young guy disappeared and the manager (?) charged us the correct amount.

I did have to go there again recently and one strange thing I noticed was that they demanded cash payment (I had a debit card) despite the fact they had credit card stickers near the payment station. They did have a stuck-on sign on the bowser (in Thai) that said "no credit cards", so my wife suggested they change it to "no credit or debit cards" (in English & Thai). It just means people have to go to the ATM at the office to get cash out (maybe they have a card reader attached as an add-on to the dodgy activities on the forecourt!)

AVOID

Edited by chiangmaibruce

I added this petrol station to Greenside's Map of Useful Places in Chiang Mai so now everyone can avoid it, no matter what crowd you're in :) . Look in the index for Rip Off Petrol Station

2 Things:

Yeah, it's a good idea to count your change again in front of them, of course, as these guys aren't known for their abilities to do addition and subtraction in their heads anyways. I'm always amazed at how the simplest calculations are done on a machine rather than in their heads. I usually beat them and their registers and they look at me impressed. I blame the schools or the culture for not making this a given life skill.

And second, it don't take no 'In Crowd' to know their way around the moat and the major stores there, come on ! DK is a a very respectable bookstore and worth becoming acquainted with if you don't know it (next time you're on your way down from Mae Jo.) It' s on your way outside the moat headed towards the SE corner (Hua Rin ?).

To avoid the change issue, I always fill up with either 500Bt or 1000Bt - whichever I have on me.

Then all you have to do is check the pump reading and hand over one note; saves hassle.

I have never asked for so many litres or to fill up, I always ask for 500Bt or 1000Bts worth of petrol, much easier.

Duakamon books (DK) is the largest book shop in northern Thailand and is on Kotchasarn Road just south of Now you are part of the "in-crowd" :)

What does that mean, south of Loi Kroh Road? Are people meant to carry a compass to discover which direction is North, South, East or West?

Ok, in plain English:

If the Loi Kroh road if on your left, continue on about 200 metres towards the Lai-Thai Guest House.

Or after passing the Loi Kroh road, it is the first petrol station you come to on the same side of the road (left) that is next to the DK bookstore. The bookstore although within a large complex is set way back from the main road and easily missed is you are driving.

During the daytime there is always plenty of very tasty looking young student girls in school uniform hanging about around that area where the bookstore is located.

If you don’t bother to visit the petrol station, the girls are well worth a look.

I added this petrol station to Greenside's Map of Useful Places in Chiang Mai so now everyone can avoid it, no matter what crowd you're in :) . Look in the index for Rip Off Petrol Station

You would seem to have missed the point. It's not the garage that is ripping you off, just some young thief on the pumps. The onus is on your to check your change....Anywhere!!

During the daytime there is always plenty of very tasty looking young student girls in school uniform hanging about around that area where the bookstore is located.

If you don't bother to visit the petrol station, the girls are well worth a look.

I knew a guy in the UK who enjoyed hanging around schools watching the girls.

I haven't heard from him for a while.

You would seem to have missed the point. It's not the garage that is ripping you off, just some young thief on the pumps. The onus is on your to check your change....Anywhere!!

If it is staff policy to ripoff customers, as this appears to be the case, the responsibility lays with the establishment’s ownership because legally an employee is part of that company and is of no fault on the part of a customer that becomes a victim of theft.

Remember that it’s the captain who always goes down with his ship.

I agree that every customer should check their change, this is common sense and most of us do not need to be reminded, but these attendants are committing theft, therefore it is in the publics best interests to avoid this petrol station.

If you don't bother to visit the petrol station, the girls are well worth a look.

I knew a guy in the UK who enjoyed hanging around schools watching the girls.

I haven't heard from him for a while.

That`s because I moved to Thailand.

If it is staff policy to ripoff customers, as this appears to be the case, the responsibility lays with the establishment's ownership because legally an employee is part of that company and is of no fault on the part of a customer that becomes a victim of theft.

Remember that it's the captain who always goes down with his ship.

I agree that every customer should check their change, this is common sense and most of us do not need to be reminded, but these attendants are committing theft, therefore it is in the publics best interests to avoid this petrol station.

Who said anything about staff policy? One young bloke on the pumps! Yes I agree that it comes down to the management in the end, but it would seem that management are unaware of the fact.

All the whingers on here are doing is moaning on a forum. Perhaps if they voiced their concerns to the management; the practice might stop.

If a lot more people spoke up about more things, there might not be so many people looking for a business to add to the "never go there list" because.......