The Stock Market

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might try this with my cat preopen Monday, If it the same then yes I will sell. Will post results monday morning :D

cats are not suitable for voodoo Zorro. you need a chicken or a goat! in rare cases a girlfriend will do :)

I respect your view and have given it many minutes of thought..Girlfriends lie its in their blood. The reading would be totally misleading :D Cats dont lie so its the cat :D It may upset some people but making money is important and losing a cat is a small price to pay considering the benefits. money hard to make and I can always buy another caT. How disgusting is that :D

I respect your view and have given it many minutes of thought..Girlfriends lie its in their blood. The reading would be totally misleading :D Cats dont lie so its the cat :) It may upset some people but making money is important and losing a cat is a small price to pay considering the benefits. money hard to make and I can always buy another caT. How disgusting is that :D

Before you slit your cat's throat you should consider a couple of things. First Naam makes many of his investment decisions based on consultation with his dogs who have advised him well. Second GFs are usually pretty good contra-indicators. Thirdly my cat lies.

Iran is the big news. All the signs are there for all hel_l to break loose in the next 6 months. What happens to recovery and markets with oil at $300 a barrel?

yeah right! big news since five years. YAAAWWWWWNNNNNNN........

Well Hitler's Germany was big news from 1933 for 6 years until 1939, and then quite a significant event occurred.

Because a potentially diasterous event builds towards a climax over a significant period (Iran's nuclear programme actually began in 1970s) does not rule out that at some stage it goes bang - literally as well as figuratively. Tension concerning Iran's programme has clearly heated up in the last few weeks, to not make some allowance (how much is the debate) for that in contemplating market direction over the next 6 months is irrational even naive.

Incidentally my concern is not with rights/wrongs of the programme or any attack on it, but solely the financial implications.

so... what is everybody doing right now ???.... i'm backing financials again after the mini meltdown last couple of weeks... IRE, AIB, ING, cheap at the moment for long term,... still kicking myself with RBS which i loaded up on margin last week... this stock is a complete dog, thought I could make some quick money before it keels overs and flounders about in its own sh#t for the next year.. Did the same with LLOYs but luckily got out with a tiny profit..

Still plugging away with Petrobras & Vale on the dips .. i really like these 2 Brazilian companies long term..which will keep going up until the next meltdown ... which I predict will be 2013

Edited by William Osborne

Iran is the big news. All the signs are there for all hel_l to break loose in the next 6 months. What happens to recovery and markets with oil at $300 a barrel?

dam_n now i have to kill another cat and let it bleed over a global map. :) will post the chart in the morning, any dribble over Iran and im Out. By the way the dead cat this morning indicated a bounce from here. May have to find a goat , could just be a dead cat bounce :D

Incidentally my concern is not with rights/wrongs of the programme or any attack on it, but solely the financial implications.

i have to agree with you that any attack on Iran would be a catastrophy for global markets and economies especially in the situation we happen to be now. but that is exactly the reason why i consider it highly unlikely no matter how certain parties are itching and poking that "something should be done, if need be by using bunker busters tipped with tactical nuclear warheads".

Im a member of 2 other forums, some of the biggest bears on the planet (and bulls) trade increadable amounts. Not one person is mentioning Iran. The swine flu got a few posts and ended right there. We still have 6 months of trading before Iran may or may not become an issue.

BTW the one thing has always puzzled about oil supply is Iraq. They are producing 2m barrels a day the same as 20 years ago. They theoretically have the largest oil reserves in the world. I saw projections of 8m barrels supply by 2010. It would pay for all the non-reconstruction that is going on. The increase would dwarf Iran's 2.5m barrels exports. The whole bloody point of the war was the oil. So why hasnt it happened?

While it might not pay to bail on SSO just now, there is unmistakably signs to be cautious now.

Perhaps. I use an "always-in" strategy so hence I am always long or always short. When its time to bail, then I exit long and flip 2x short. As of today, long trade still in effect from April 7th. See no reason to jump off because the market feels bearish or think the uptrend is ending. I let the strategy do the thinking and acting. :D

Maybe I still don't understand the markets though? :)

Maybe?

Your strategy may well 'do the talking', but from what you've revealed, it doesnt say much; you make no mention of timing?

Im looking at GE relative to the broad market. Im looking at Smaller cap shares relative to large cap shares. Im looking at advancing/declining issues, and volume. DXY studies. General market volume. Companies on P&F 'Buy' signals, and stocks above their MA's. Of course I look at oscillators and a number of price studies too, however these are more objective and less reliable in my experience.

In my experience these studies unmistakably show signs to be cautious now.

Heres an interesting link; US Unemployment By County Slideshow

http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoy...mediafinal.html

I should add Im not trying to push a perma-bear bias, far from it. I may believe in a "W" 'recovery', but Im far happier long.

I started a thread about financial markets back in March...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Global-Finan...ts-t249302.html

...and wrote of my longs in Financials, Real Estate and Miners. There wasnt much interest in stocks back then, not many smug bulls or folks extolling the virtues of 2xLong ETFs either. How times change :)

Maybe?

Your strategy may well 'do the talking', but from what you've revealed, it doesnt say much; you make no mention of timing?

In my experience, looking at so many indicators creates confusion and subjective trading. If it works for you then great, for me I stick with a strictly objective methodology based on daily EMAs. Very simple and again 100% mechanical..

i have to agree with you that any attack on Iran would be a catastrophy for global markets and economies especially in the situation we happen to be now. but that is exactly the reason why i consider it highly unlikely no matter how certain parties are itching and poking that "something should be done, if need be by using bunker busters tipped with tactical nuclear warheads".

The Israeli's being such gentlemen, I am sure they would give not less than 30 days notice of any intention to attack :)

Maybe?

In my experience, looking at so many indicators creates confusion and subjective trading. If it works for you then great, for me I stick with a strictly objective methodology based on daily EMAs. Very simple and again 100% mechanical..

Hi KJ

I have a glance once a week. There would be little benefit viewing those tools more frequently.

All my trading is discretionary.

MA's are useful; a very basic view of the trend. They lag though.

Im looking to be aware, and lead(hopefully). Although that said, Ive been out of swing positions for quite a few months now, so have missed some upside :)

Hi KJ

I have a glance once a week. There would be little benefit viewing those tools more frequently.

All my trading is discretionary.

MA's are useful; a very basic view of the trend. They lag though.

Im looking to be aware, and lead(hopefully). Although that said, Ive been out of swing positions for quite a few months now, so have missed some upside :)

Yes, DMA lags consistantly I don't use it. I incorporate exponential and variable-weighted EMA.

The Israeli's being such gentlemen, I am sure they would give not less than 30 days notice of any intention to attack :)

This thread which its intention was to share strategies has hit a new low although midas may think he is helping the bears we all know how they cringe when he comes up with this stuff... keep em coming rice boy . what happened to the "plunge protection team" ROFL !!

the Israelis would love to... but this is not june 1981 when the single target Osiraq was hit by israeli pilots speaking native arabic and coached to use iraqi slang instead of their falastini arabic. there are more than a dozen underground targets to hit in Iran, all double and triple the distance of Osiraq. bullshitting by speaking farsi won't work this time and the russian SAMs would get the majority of attack aircrafts which also have to be refuelled at a much lower speed than the one achieved with afterburners. only a concerted action with the help and the approval of the "Black House" :D in Washington might lead to some success and only if turkish air space can be used. but i strongly doubt that the puppet masters of Wall Street, who draw the strings of O'Bama will approve. at present they have too much to lose.

an additonal hurdle would be Zorro's influence and veto in Washington and Tel Aviv :D

Edited by Naam

the Israelis would love to... but this is not june 1981 when the single target Osiraq was hit by israeli pilots speaking native arabic and coached to use iraqi slang instead of their falastini arabic. there are more than a dozen underground targets to hit in Iran, all double and triple the distance of Osiraq. bullshitting by speaking farsi won't work this time and the russian SAMs would get the majority of attack aircrafts which also have to be refuelled at a much lower speed than the one achieved with afterburners. only a concerted action with the help and the approval of the "Black House" :D in Washington might lead to some success and only if turkish air space can be used. but i strongly doubt that the puppet masters of Wall Street, who draw the strings of O'Bama will approve. at present they have too much to lose.

What he said.

post-25601-1258375535_thumb.jpg

What he said.

post-25601-1258375535_thumb.jpg

:D:D:D

I like that LB

Bernanke to speak live in 3 minutes.

Will see if he is a market mover :D

edit: one of his first comments.....Dollar has moved over a wide range...safe haven flows (to the dollar) have abated .... :)

He expects a less than robust recovery...Yet also says will see moderate growth next year.

Covers all side :D

Edited by flying

A less than robust recovery is above a recovery = the bottom for more investors......Love it , the higher we go the more likely the big bucks will hit. Puleeeze everybody knows money flows into the markets very late

Well, all you sons of Livermore; tomorrow 11/17/09 at $SPX 1121.44 marks the 50% retrace of Time and Price of the 10/11/07-3/6/09 decline. That's all the headwinds I have in this area. More at 1150-1160 and a lead cloud near 1200.

We really need some consolidation for a week or so , next 3 days will be interesting. Took some more profits but now in Que other stock anticipating a descent drop tonight.

Took some more profits but now in Que other stock anticipating a descent drop tonight.

"They say you never grow poor taking profits. No, you don’t. But neither do you grow rich taking a four-point profit in a bull market."

"After spending many years in Wall Street and after making and losing millions of dollars I want to tell you this: It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting."

Edited by khunjake

Took some more profits but now in Que other stock anticipating a descent drop tonight.

(Chapter V) … "They say you never grow poor taking profits. No, you don't. But neither do you grow rich taking a four-point profit in a bull market."

100% agree but i sold BMN today at 1.24 as there is a gap down to 1.15 that needs to be filled. have the same amount in Que. Some stocks Im in sync with after trading them 1 year. !00% agree will never get rich selling a few pips. and still have my march longs very intact, actually dont even look at them anymore except for a stop way on down

Well, all you sons of Livermore; tomorrow 11/17/09 at $SPX 1121.44 marks the 50% retrace of Time and Price of the 10/11/07-3/6/09 decline. That's all the headwinds I have in this area. More at 1150-1160 and a lead cloud near 1200.

We really need some consolidation for a week or so , next 3 days will be interesting. Took some more profits but now in Que other stock anticipating a descent drop tonight.

Just my opinion, but there's no time for much consolidation in this market. It's got to get some air under it before conditions change. Best case IMO is 1190-1210 in 4 weeks time. Other scenarios are less rosy. OCICBW blah blah.

Just my opinion, but there's no time for much consolidation in this market. It's got to get some air under it before conditions change. Best case IMO is 1190-1210 in 4 weeks time. Other scenarios are less rosy. OCICBW blah blah.

Futures just gobbled up again. The big danger (not for me :D ) as I mentioned the instos cant avoid staying out the higher we go. but still would like a week or so of consolidation to indicate which way next. Im still in with 80% of life savings crazy yeah but was crazier last year :)