Booking Flight Without Credit Card

mazd2

Hi all, I wanted to book a flight back to eire bkk->lon->cork but just found that my dang card is expired, by one day! It expired at end of july and now it will not be accepted by online booking websites.

Having thought about it overnight I was thinking my best option might be to arrange a western union money transfer from someone at home, pick up here in laos and take to travel agents and pay for flight there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what someone could do in this situation?

My atm card should still work (I haven't used it, been using cc all along to make cash withdrawals at atm) but there is a daily limit on that I'm sure.

From airasia's website, they do not have a physical location in laos to pay.

However, BA might accept credit card payments from someone other than person travelling on flight, in payment section of www.ba.com it asks whether person making payment is travelling on flight. Anyone done this before? What were you asked to produce at check-in? Cos usually the airline ask to see card used when booking flight.

I had a flight booked in this way through ebookers a while back. Just make sure the name given is exactly the same as your passport and have a note of the booking reference number.

Regarding your atm card I hope you have notified your bank of where you are travelling otherwise if you make a withdrawal in two separate countries on consecutive days for example your card might be cancelled.

Cheers for that smokie, surprised that say it should be ok, cos another thread on here says cc required at check-in sometimes. Some people are always asked and some are never it seems from that thread.

Not sure what kind of credit card you have. I had one expire on me years ago in BKK. I called them and they sent a replacement (new) card by registered mail to my hotel at the time ... had it within 24 hrs.

Not an option on the card I have unfortunately. My bank will only send to address on cc account, not abroad to temporary address. I could ask somebody to courier out the card (because a new card has already been issued to that address) but that's taking a chance nobody gets their hands on it before I do, and it would take at least 1 week to get here.

Edited by mazd2

Get a new cc sent to your home address.

Book with travel agent, and tell them you will charge it. They will ask for a copy of cc to be faxed to them. Have someone at home do that for you.

Agent will send tix to you via courier or pick up yourself.

Should be cheaper than Western Union.

If you didn't buy the tix thru the airlines, they (in my experience) never ask to see the cc since they don't even know how you paid for it.

Good luck and report back.

If the new card is at home, why not get someone to give you the new expiry date and the three digit security code and then you can enter the details at the online sites ?

Brilliant solution! I've got to remember that one! :):D:D

If the new card is at home, why not get someone to give you the new expiry date and the three digit security code and then you can enter the details at the online sites ?

The card is there mate, but the airlines have been known to look for card used to book flight at check-in.

Hi, YOu can book with MOX Travel if you have a Thai Bank Account !

http://www.moxtravel.com

I got an amazing rate to LAX and also was able to pay by bank transfer via my online Thai Banking. If you don't have online Thai Banking you can also print out a receipt and pay at the bank, or via the atm machine.

It is only for flights out of Bangkok.

The card is there mate, but the airlines have been known to look for card used to book flight at check-in.

I understand your concern but I have never been asked to show the card.

As this can only be a security issue keep hold of the old card and if necessary explain what has happened. The credit card number should be the same anyway and should satisfy them. If you are still unsure then phone the airline of your choice in bangkok and ask for their advice. You could even arrange to collect your tickets there.

Mrman, Just after checking the moxtravel fares there and on a like for like basis they actually come out cheaper for ba flights than the ba website (www.ba.com) itself! They seem to be reliable anyway based on the comments here. However I don't have a thai bank account, but there does seem to be an option for international bank transfers. That could take up to a week to clear though, but I'll bear it in mind anyway if I cannot find a more convenient alternative.

smokie, I have been asked before (and there are others on other forums I've seen) for the cc used in making booking, hence my concern. I was thinking maybe a faxed copy of the new card would work, if requested at check-in because I read about someone who got around it that way.

It really comes down to the clerk at check-in, because the cc companies when investigating fraudulent payments will interview and possibly hold responsible the clerk in question if card not presented. So a paper copy might work, with my old card for backup and explanation.

By the way mrman, is it possible to pay moxtravel in cash anywhere? They say bank transfer, but could you just rock up at one of those banks with a/c details and cash in hand and pay?

Edited by mazd2

I second the travel agent recommendation. We tend to forget about them nowadays, but at least in Thailand the good ones are cheap, efficient, and professional. Whenever I have problems with online booking (usually, in my case, with Cebu Pacific), I just go down to the corner and have them do it for me . . . for about the cost of a beer.

Brilliant solution! I've got to remember that one! :):D:D

That's OK as long as the card isn't requested at check-in.

I have paid for other friends to travel on airlines through www.expedia.co.uk with my card and the friends have paid me cash. No problems booking for someone else through them, so if you know someone willing to use their card and can pay them cash.............and you can print out e-tickets. Good luck.

It is a brilliant solution, I've done it many times, also why would you need to print out an e-ticket? That's the whole point of an e-ticket, there is no actual ticket.

Brigante7.

Imagine what your lives would be vacant of credit cards? Images come to mind.

I have 1 credit card that is used solely for booking flights, I live my life perfectly well without a credit card, while I'm at it I could also live without my mobile phone.

Brigante7.

Hi all, I wanted to book a flight back to eire bkk->lon->cork but just found that my dang card is expired, by one day! It expired at end of july and now it will not be accepted by online booking websites.

Having thought about it overnight I was thinking my best option might be to arrange a western union money transfer from someone at home, pick up here in laos and take to travel agents and pay for flight there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what someone could do in this situation?

My atm card should still work (I haven't used it, been using cc all along to make cash withdrawals at atm) but there is a daily limit on that I'm sure.

From airasia's website, they do not have a physical location in laos to pay.

However, BA might accept credit card payments from someone other than person travelling on flight, in payment section of www.ba.com it asks whether person making payment is travelling on flight. Anyone done this before? What were you asked to produce at check-in? Cos usually the airline ask to see card used when booking flight.

I have booked flights on behalf of other people and never had to produce my card at check in as it's all verified online at the time of payment. You just need make sure you spell all passengers names correctly (as in the passport) or they could refuse you at check-in or ask you to pay for a name change. With e-tickets now you normally only have to show your passport at check-in but it's wise to have the booking ref or a print out of the booking confirmation.

Edited by IsaanAndy

Am now thinking of booking online using new card details, they only change the exp date and 3 digits at back.

If asked for card will present old cc, if asked any more will present copy of new cc.

Will let you know how it goes after folks

• 2 weeks later...

I booked an airfare with Singapore Air - required to produce the CCard on departure but it will have expeired by then.

They said either sign forms or bring it prior to expiry date - a hassle - OR show up at the airport with a Credit Card monthly statement with my name and address on it. (the new card will be different expiry date and CCV number).

Hopefully there won't be any problems.

Imagine what your lives would be vacant of credit cards? Images come to mind.

Lol zzaa :)

Anyone know about airasia demanding credit card at check-in?

airasia wants your money first up front so that they can later delay or postpone your flight to other days. your credit card? it's plastic, isn't it? what value does it have for airasia? the garbage dump has lots of it. :D .

I booked an airfare with Singapore Air - required to produce the CCard on departure but it will have expeired by then.

They said either sign forms or bring it prior to expiry date - a hassle - OR show up at the airport with a Credit Card monthly statement with my name and address on it. (the new card will be different expiry date and CCV number).

Hopefully there won't be any problems.

Just keep the expired card until then.