Ex-supremo Threatens Use Of Force If Pardon Blocked

webfact

Simple constructive solution...

If I remember correctly...the coup happened when he was outside the country so how did he jump bail? I don't quite unerstand? I am pretty sure legal means to bring charges against a PM is not to have the military launch a coup...while he is outside the country. I could be wrong.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theres about 65 million thais in Thailand. Assume that 30% of them are either too young to vote. That still leaves in excess of 45 million voters (assuming they can all be bothered).

They have 5 million signatures, even if that number tripples they still dont have the numbers on a single preferred based party vote.

Lets get real about this........its time for Mr T to do the only honerable thing left for a japanese man.....i think they call it hurry curry - GOOD RIDDANCE!

You don't get it 5 million is a lot... if there would be elections now... the former TRT would win by far AGAIN!

Thaksin was out of the country when he was deposed. After the military relinquished power an election was held. Thaksin allies organized a coalition government which they led.

Feeling safe, Thaksin returned for his wife's trial but was mortified when she was found guilty (now ex wife). Thaksin jumped bail by escaping Thailand via the Bejing Olympic Games after seening the handwirting on the proverbial wall in his then upcoming trial.

Convicted in abstentia, Thaksin became the "fugitive" deposed PM in self-imposed exile.

I think that's it.

Edited by Publicus

If I remember correctly...the coup happened when he was outside the country so how did he jump bail? I don't quite unerstand? I am pretty sure legal means to bring charges against a PM is not to have the military launch a coup...while he is outside the country. I could be wrong.

He came back, and was in court early on for this Rachadapisek case he lost,

and his wife, bro in law and her secretaries convictions in another case.

This turned the tide psychologically,

and they went to the Olympics, and he never returned.

So yes he returned to Thailand,

and had full freedoms for several months,

but together they ran off before his conviction was finalized.

And before hers was appealed.

He was here after the coup and wasn't locked up, legally out on bail.

Which he jumped later.

They did divorce and she returned as her maiden name Damapong,

and is being pretty quiet right now. And that wins a lot of points with the locals.

And this clan is being more discrete by far, than the Shinolawatra bunch.

Most civilised countries won't allow a PM to be PM more than two times. Otherwise you get this cronyism and corruption where one gets in power forever... I think this is what Taksin wants, and what other 3rd world countries have suffered from. Has anyone considered modifying the constitution to prevent this nepotism? Then we can turn our back on Taksin and move forward?

Posts have been deleted, there is no need to stoop to childish derogatory names for anyone. Thaksin or Abhisit. Lets try to conduct this conversation in a mature and civilized fashion, thanks.

Most civilised countries won't allow a PM to be PM more than two times. Otherwise you get this cronyism and corruption where one gets in power forever... I think this is what Taksin wants, and what other 3rd world countries have suffered from. Has anyone considered modifying the constitution to prevent this nepotism? Then we can turn our back on Taksin and move forward?

Civilised countries? See the list above. You've been slightly corrected.

The crony-ism, corruption and nepotism that does the most damage is done below the elected level in the civil service where it is more wide spread and in direct effect of people.  Term limits often mean the needless end of a good PM in the future and often does nothing to fix the problem.  Its a knee jerk reaction that flies back in the face later.  Law makers should not run departments so they can be oversight and the PM should run for election at large and not depend on buying his position from the law makers.  Then the law makers can work for the ones that elect them and not for the system they hope to use as a stepping stone.

Hi All.

This statement by Thaksin's cousin is outragious , Thaksins last attempt at Revolution failed miserably , It seems they have put things on hold until October, When October comes and if there is another uprising, These people should be executed for high Treason. I must say I am very disappointed with the Government and the PM in particular, The PPP PTP and the Red Shirt leaders

use every trick in the book to threaten the Government they have broken the Law many , many times.Why are they not charged in court and NO BAIL the Government has to be seen to get tough, at the moment it seems you give an inch and they take 5 yards, We will just have to wait and see if Thaksin's family all go on holiday at the end of September and maybe the ex wife will be serving her sentence by then?.

phupaman

Civilised countries? See the list above. You've been slightly corrected.

Actually Thasksin was the first PM in Thai history to complete a full term and, moreover, to be elected to a second consecutive term. Previous to that a Thai government was lucky to survive 14 or 16 months at best, then would have to call an election so that the MPs could change to newly named parties to confuse the electorate as to who was the most corrupt.

Immediately after first being elected in early 2001, Thaksin had to buy off the Constitutional Court which by a close vote nearly disqualified him holding office because of concealed assets that had been found by the National Counter Corruption Commission (housemaid, chauffer etc).

The second election in 2006 was annuled for massive fraud and, as has been pointed out, the Election Commission stacked with Thaksin cronies was fired, charged, tried and jailed. 2006 is when Thaksin became Caretaker PM without a parliament and tried his play for absolute power which then backfired disastrously against him.

The NCCC, the EC and the other independent watchdog bodies of the govenrment were systematically eviscerated by Thaksin to free him of any and all checks and balances.

The guy is an absolute ruler who'll have nothing to do with competitive democracy.He was continually working towards one party rule only. Thaksin brought a certain stability to Thai politics and government, but only a pseudo stability that because of his contempt of democracy and the rule of law was always unsustainable.

Most civilised countries won't allow a PM to be PM more than two times

UK

Australia

Canada

New Zealand

Italy

Japan

Iceland

Turkey

Singapore

Are among many with no term limits.

...also, some pm s hang on forever, in one :) guise or another. :D

Upon reading all the posts here it seems to me that we have a large number of relatively new members (mc2, Linux, Ferwert, Denim etc) who fervently defend Thaksin against all and any attack or even criticism to his policy and regime.

Apparently it is true that Thaksin's cronies have taken their war to the Internet.

Oh, and one other thing: To pardon means to forgive the wrongdoing of someone. Now does that mean that the 5 million who signed the petition for a pardon think Thaksin actually did something wrong?

Must be so, otherwise a pardon makes no sense.

Well then Mr. Thaksin, here you have your people's voice: Over 5 million really believe you did something wrong, even though they love you.

And then ... it vote buying goes for as little as THB 100, how much did they get for signing the petition? Just a thought .... :)

UK

Australia

Canada

New Zealand

Italy

Japan

Iceland

Turkey

Singapore

May I add Venezuela? Hugo Chavez is president for live! Democratically elected!

Gee, the Roamans once said: Vox populi vox dei.

Or: Only the most stupid cows choose their own butcher.

Hi All.

This statement by Thaksin's cousin is outragious , Thaksins last attempt at Revolution failed miserably , It seems they have put things on hold until October, When October comes and if there is another uprising, These people should be executed for high Treason. I must say I am very disappointed with the Government and the PM in particular, The PPP PTP and the Red Shirt leaders

use every trick in the book to threaten the Government they have broken the Law many , many times.Why are they not charged in court and NO BAIL the Government has to be seen to get tough, at the moment it seems you give an inch and they take 5 yards, We will just have to wait and see if Thaksin's family all go on holiday at the end of September and maybe the ex wife will be serving her sentence by then?.

phupaman

Same policy Thaksin had in mind for the PAD.  I see everyone is learning their lessons vary well..  Please lets not waste any time start building the re education camps now.  Don't forget the ones that wear glasses are educated and may make trouble.  Theres been lots of Revolution talk on both sides and little in the way of real reform.  Its always we will be different, but it is still the same system because it works for the winner, so it can't be different and history is shown it won't be.  How many coups to date?  PM just tried to sack a policeman because its what his controllers wanted just like Thaksin would have done.  Proof nothing is changing, just another empty suit.  

I don't think any real statesmen with a solution would even bother to walk to a podium under the current conditions for fear of being labeled an anti M by the PAD, and the posters here would want him shot.  So as a result you got the other side to deal with because they don't care anymore..  

Nether side presents much of an option for any real progress.  Both kettles are black.

Thaksin's cousin came from an inactive post and was promoted.  He has so much power he was able to stop the last coup. (right)  Its not like he is Napoleon or something.  His words are worth what?

The paper printed on.

UK

Australia

Canada

New Zealand

Italy

Japan

Iceland

Turkey

Singapore

May I add Venezuela? Hugo Chavez is president for live! Democratically elected!

Gee, the Roamans once said: Vox populi vox dei.

Or: Only the most stupid cows choose their own butcher.

LOL

Ah yes coupe de grace!

Please be kind Mr. Butcher, it's my first time!

The ones most likely to try and stay on are the least likely to be good for the country typically.

In the USA we have 2 terms fro president, but only because FDR died in his 4th term during war time.

and people panicked a bit. It actually was a perfectly smooth transition.

FDR was the right man at the time, though of course some say he was the absolutely wrong man ever.

Still the idea that Dubya had the right to a 3rd term would have been as chilling

as Chaves reaching Mugabe's age... in power, or Thaksin ever coming back period.

No one is saying lock up all red shirts and re-educate them.

But their leadership has been stoking the fires of insurrection and revolution.

Added to the ACTIONS of last Songkran, and there is more than reasonable reasons,

to suspect they plan more and more violent actions to bring down the government.

Since this petition seems an insult to the monarchy, and they don't care about that,

AND Thaksin's cousin not so cryptically threatened using force to present it.

It's not far fetched to think that the WHOLE governmental institution is at threat here,

not just the Dem's cabinet.

If they move in October as seemingly planned there will be a HUGE foot put down to stop them.

October and November coincide with Thaksin's money being adjudicated by the way.

This is when he will be most desperate and willing to go over the top not to lose.

He is clearly an all other nothing kinda personality,

and no compunctions about lives of the little people.

Come on guys.......do it.......Think of a positive, constructive, politically feasible and do-able reponse to Five million, three hundred thousand citizen supplicants...........positive, constructive....if you dont understand such strange terminology, use MC2's posts as an example!.......... Just do it. Surpise the hel_l out of me......Do you have a capacity for positive, constructive suggestions about "Petition Responses"........I dont think you do...prove me wrong....Reach you guys, reach beyond yourself...........get out-of-the-box that the media has put you in!

Why would anyone support a convicted criminal, that also has numerous human rights allegations hanging over him? It's not what's been fed, it's there in black and white. Thaksin may well have gained more respect by facing the music, instead he did a runner and then has continued to stir the pot from afar. The threat now being issued from his group only goes to reinforce just what they are about.Come on Thaksin, come back and do your time - then you might find people have a different opinion.

October and November coincide with Thaksin's money being adjudicated by the way.

This is when he will be most desperate and willing to go over the top not to lose.

:) that is pure accidental, no connection, none at all! :D

Nope!

Absolutely none!

Thaksin would swear and put an oath on it - 100% sure!

Nothing that Thaksin does would change anyones mind about him.  Coming back and facing the system won't transform anyones thinking.  If it was half a chance he would do it, because thats the way he uses things like the system and why he came back once already.  Guilty or not it makes no sense from where he stands and your opinion wouldn't be changed anyway.  

Whats most important -  here a few peoples lust for avenging the Thaksin wrongs and calling it true justice at any price, even the price of blood, and then going on with the same broke corrupted system of spoils like everything is better now.  or a solution.

(insert void of leadership here)  This ship of state is dragging two anchors.  One of them is in self exile. the other is the PAD. 

Nothing that Thaksin does would change anyones mind about him.  Coming back and facing the system won't transform anyones thinking.  If it was half a chance he would do it, because thats the way he uses things like the system and why he came back once already.  Guilty or not it makes no sense from where he stands and your opinion wouldn't be changed anyway.  

Whats most important -  here a few peoples lust for avenging the Thaksin wrongs and calling it true justice at any price, even the price of blood, and then going on with the same broke corrupted system of spoils like everything is better now.  or a solution.

(insert void of leadership here)  This ship of state is dragging two anchors.  One of them is in self exile. the other is the PAD. 

I respectfully disagree. I have no strong feelings for him one way or another. However, that being said, if Thaksin were the type that would return to serve his sentence, and accept responsibility for his actions, followed by remorse and then a request for a Royal Pardon, everything would be different. It would be a much different Thaksin too. But usually it's those who are already serving time (and thus have no where to go) that all of a sudden find faith. He's still on the lamb. Really doubt that he will come back. In fact, it appears that he'd rather see the destruction of Thailand than own up to his responsibility for what has occurred.

I respectfully disagree. I have no strong feelings for him one way or another. However, that being said, if Thaksin were the type that would return to serve his sentence, and accept responsibility for his actions, followed by remorse and then a request for a Royal Pardon, everything would be different. It would be a much different Thaksin too. But usually it's those who are already serving time (and thus have no where to go) that all of a sudden find faith. He's still on the lamb. Really doubt that he will come back. In fact, it appears that he'd rather see the destruction of Thailand than own up to his responsibility for what has occurred.

So why play into it then. Your not going to talk him into it.  You got two trains running on the same track, would someone please apply the brakes.  

The dead are not going to care who had the right of way.

Nothing that Thaksin does would change anyones mind about him. Coming back and facing the system won't transform anyones thinking. If it was half a chance he would do it, because thats the way he uses things like the system and why he came back once already. Guilty or not it makes no sense from where he stands and your opinion wouldn't be changed anyway.

Whats most important - here a few peoples lust for avenging the Thaksin wrongs and calling it true justice at any price, even the price of blood, and then going on with the same broke corrupted system of spoils like everything is better now. or a solution.

(insert void of leadership here) This ship of state is dragging two anchors. One of them is in self exile. the other is the PAD.

Actually not true.

I did like Thaksin once around 2005, but his words and actions have inverted that totally.

So somethings he did HAS changed my mind.

Nothing that Thaksin does would change anyones mind about him. Coming back and facing the system won't transform anyones thinking. If it was half a chance he would do it, because thats the way he uses things like the system and why he came back once already. Guilty or not it makes no sense from where he stands and your opinion wouldn't be changed anyway.

Whats most important - here a few peoples lust for avenging the Thaksin wrongs and calling it true justice at any price, even the price of blood, and then going on with the same broke corrupted system of spoils like everything is better now. or a solution.

(insert void of leadership here) This ship of state is dragging two anchors. One of them is in self exile. the other is the PAD.

So why play into it then. Your not going to talk him into it. You got two trains running on the same track, would someone please apply the brakes.

The dead are not going to care who had the right of way.

Sadly Thaksin is the only one that can change this path to a trainwreck.

The other side is not in any position to let him back at the helm.

He has proved himself too dangerous for that.

It doesn't get much plainer than that.