Marrying A Bar Girl

clausewitz

tip of the iceburg? Or is it that 99.99% of men who marry bargirls have a long happy marriage?

Hard to know.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/aug/1...ndrelationships

Stephen Treharne Jones, 63, was a former neighbour of Beeston. Jones met Lamyai, then 32, in a Pattaya bar and sought to 'rescue' her and send her home to Isan. 'When I met my wife, Lamyai , she had nothing,' said Jones. 'I paid her out of a sex bar in Pattaya and told her to go home. When I visited her home she was living in a room with her two children. There was no bathroom or toilet facilities, no doors, no tiles, no electricity, just a mattress and blankets on the floor. So I bought a big home for both of us and bought the land off her relatives.'

Jones's world collapsed when he asked his wife to sell a piece of land he had bought. Lamyai refused, saying it was impossible. Only when he went with a lawyer to the land registry did he discover he never owned it. He bought it from Lamyai's family, but allowed them to keep it in their names because of foreign ownership prohibitions. When challenged, Lamyai threw him out of their luxury villa in Kalasin, an hour from Suwannaphum. Penniless, he scuttled back to King's Lynn, Norfolk, two months ago. He now lives there in sheltered accommodation.

'Looking back now, I know my Thai wife had set me up from day one,' said Jones last week. 'In Kalasin I know of three other foreigners who were kicked out by their wives after they completed property purchases. They say there's no fool like an old fool. But I did genuinely love Lamyai. I was sold a dream, I guess. A quiet life in the country where food and drink was cheap, the women attentive and the weather warm. But that's not the reality. The reality is that one becomes a captive.'

Lamyai has a very different account of the breakdown in relations. 'If Stephen had been a good husband I would not have asked him to leave,' she said. 'But when he argued he called me a thief and a prostitute. We were quite happy for four years, even though he spent a lot of time going out drinking with his farang friends in the area. Stephen had a house he could have lived in all his life if he respected me as his wife, but at the end I was just his servant.'

As his own marriage became a bitter property dispute, Beeston saw trouble coming. Exiled to the garden shed, his wife had installed her lover, Janong, and they kept Beeston a virtual prisoner in his own home with taunts and attacks.

In a letter to his lawyers, Beeston told how his wife had started a money lending business - lending his money - and had paid off local police so she could run an illegal lottery. 'My wife threatened me with a gun,' he said in the letter, detailing a series of attacks on his house involving 'stones, lumps of wood, fireworks and even a tin of paint'. The house was also frequently burgled, he said.

Like so many Britons and other expatriates living in rural Thailand who are unable to converse in Thai, it appears Beeston may have been the unwitting victim of a sting his wife had been waiting for years to bring off. According to his friends, the whole town, even the police chief, knew but nobody said anything. 'I thought she loved me, but she only wanted my money after all,' Beeston had told his Australian neighbour, Bill Lamb.

'He told me he thought his wife was about to kill him,' said Lamb. 'My feeling is that Ian had been paying for Wanna's daughters from a previous marriage to go to university. This year they both graduated. I just don't think he was needed any more. She had it all. To be honest - the life of a foreigner isn't worth much around here.'

Back in Herrington's Suwannaphum house, fists were clenched as the group discussed a fitting revenge for the perpetrators of the callous act. The palpable sentiment was: 'It's them or us.' But the bitter consensus was also that after all the publicity had died down Beeston's wife would be granted bail and freed. 'She's got the money, and with money cases just get dropped,' said Herrington.

Then the conversation turned to the future and who was 'next for the bullet'. They agree they know the identity of the marked man. He lives about 20 miles away and is having some major problems with his Thai wife. 'Yep,' they chorus, 'for sure.'

Lamyai has a very different account of the breakdown in relations. 'If Stephen had been a good husband I would not have asked him to leave,' she said. 'But when he argued he called me a thief and a prostitute. We were quite happy for four years, even though he spent a lot of time going out drinking with his farang friends in the area. Stephen had a house he could have lived in all his life if he respected me as his wife, but at the end I was just his servant.'

Yup that would do it eventually... drunken old farang tosser calling his little wifey a whore....