Preventing People From Moving My Bike When Parked

CanInBKK

I'm extremely tired of coming back to my bike after a day work and finding out it's been moved, sometimes 1-2 spots away!

The way the motorcycle parking is structured is like a long tunnel (parking on both left and right sides but too narrow for double parking) with the entrance on one end and the exit on the other (the entrance to the building is adjacent to the parking exit). I am usually at work very early so I park close to the exit of the parking area but what happens is as the day goes on, people will ride all the way in and when they can't find a parking space, they'll move other's bikes and squeeze in.

I'm not against this practice per se but I'm tired of having my paint scratched at the expense of someone else's poor planning and laziness.

Any suggestions on how I can prevent people from moving my bike when it's parked?

Sorry to hear it, they move even big bikes here. Don't ask me how. Once I found my bike 15meters away from where I parked it. According to an eye witness, a truck had also bumped against it and tipped it over and cracked all the panels on one side and busted one mirror. Short of locking it to some immovable object or smearing it in sh!t, someone will find a way to move it so he can squeeze his bike in there.

My only advice: don't love your bike too much in LOS.

• Like 1

Rules are meant to be broken with a little money. Talk to the security at your place. Produce a little money and tell them there is more where that came from if they help you find a better spot for your bike. Generally, better to go a little higher up in the food chain at your place than the guard downstairs. Maybe the building manager. You might also mention that you are going to put a disk alarm on your bike, so a nice quiet spot will save everyone a lot of headache.

• Thanks 1

I once returned to my bike (which had a disk lock on) that had been moved a good 5 meters across an empty parking lot. I'm still not sure whether it was done before the rest of the bikes had left, for fun or as a result of a failed robbery.

I think the moral of the story though is park somewhere else, where they will never need to move your bike or move others around it, and walk a little bit to work. Chaining it to something will keep it where it is but not stop them scratching your bike with someone else's, a disk lock will make it ever so slightly less hard to steal, a bit more awkward to move and more likely to scratch your front shocks from where they move it without seeing the lock.

I once saw little locks that fit over the brake caliper and the key allows a pin to go through a hole in the caliper. They work like the helmet locks that some bikes have. With both wheels and the steering locked, it is difficult to move the bike, BUT not impossible. Chains are easily cut.

post-17093-1249519700.jpg

Edited by Gary A

3 am I found my stepthroughtwistandgo moved into a pedestrian crossing. Locked with a police chain. Spend one hour trying to have it unlocked by the police. Almost sobered up. Broke the lock, and went home.

Going to concerts, shows or clubs with my black cruiser, I used to give the guards couple of hundred to make sure no one touched it. Worked fine.

Edited by katabeachbum

I once saw little locks that fit over the brake caliper and the key allows a pin to go through a hole in the caliper. They work like the helmet locks that some bikes have. With both wheels and the steering locked, it is difficult to move the bike, BUT not impossible. Chains are easily cut.

The best thing about the Xena lock you pictured is that it's got a built in 110dB alarm. Anyone tries to move your bike and they'll get an earful. http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/page1/

Red Baron has 'em for about 1400 Baht. Panda Rider too.

A friend of mine locked his front wheel with a chain and the village idiot dragged it elsewhere. It broke the speedo cable internally. He now has a 35 000 Kilo bike for sale with only 13 000 Kilos on the clock. I've been parking mine in the same spot for months and I'm still waiting for the same stroke of luck.

Regards Bojo

Do you put the steering lock on? Harder to move if it's on. Try a disc lock too. That'll stop it being wheeled around.

Had the same problem.

A normal padlock through the front brake disk, Painted it signal yellow.

A special bike lock through the back wheel around the springs.

Also the steering lock on, and for special places I do have a extra chain with a padlock to attach to anything fixed.

It seems to work, no replacements.

Do you put the steering lock on? Harder to move if it's on. Try a disc lock too. That'll stop it being wheeled around.

Had the same problem.

A normal padlock through the front brake disk, Painted it signal yellow.

A special bike lock through the back wheel around the springs.

Also the steering lock on, and for special places I do have a extra chain with a padlock to attach to anything fixed.

It seems to work, no replacements.

Soon a very normal motosai will have to carry an extra payload of 100 kgs in chains and pad locks.

i have a big bike and park a lot in Arab street. one time i came back and some ass moved it out into the street about a meter from the curb. wish i could have caught him, asked around but no one saw a thing :) . i was parked correctly in a good space so i dont know why, first time in 3 years, hope the last

by the way, i don't think the wheel locks do all that much. Sitting across from Starbucks on Pattaya Tai, I watch the traffic pickup truck with 2 guys lift the bikes that are parked in the zebra crossing into the truck and take them away all the time. I try to warm some of the guys parking there but usually they ignore me

Edited by Lost in LOS

A friend of mine locked his front wheel with a chain and the village idiot dragged it elsewhere. It broke the speedo cable internally. He now has a 35 000 Kilo bike for sale with only 13 000 Kilos on the clock. I've been parking mine in the same spot for months and I'm still waiting for the same stroke of luck.

Regards Bojo

555 :)

They do it to big bikes too...

I was at Immigration in Jomptien yesterday.. The bike area was pretty full and I never park my Ducati alongside scooters as Thais never worry about scratching other bikes when they pull in/out

So I parked in an empty car space.. I was in a hurry so never set the steering lock.. I came back less than ten minutes later to find my bike relocated to the bike area and worse squeezed in between two scooters.. One of which had left a rubber scuff mark down my tank from it's handle bar grip.. Luckily no damage done and it just needed polishing out.. As I start my bike some Somchai arrives and tells me ''park there no gud'' I told him in Thai that moving my 850,000 baht bike was 'no gud' either then showed him the scuff and asked who was gonna pay ?

Needless to say he was rather crestfallen.. Thai speaking farang with 'expensib' bike in a bad mood :D

Why is it that they feel they have to interfear ? Is it the Thai version of the UK 'Jobsworth' ?.. Yes I had parked in a car space.. But I had done so on purrpose.. Purposely to avoid damage to my bike.. Worse the carpark was pretty empty..So no need to move it anyhow..

It was worse when I had a KTM cos I would often come back to find a Thai fella sitting on my bike or pretending to ride it ... <deleted> If you came back and found a stranger on your bike in the UK you could beat the fooker to within an inch of his life.. But here you just get a wry smile or maybe a 'solly, I mai roo'

I did think about making a sign in thai to leave on my bike.. Something like 'don't touch - High voltage' or something similar.. Maybe a big shiny Police badge may help ? :D:)

The best thing about the Xena lock you pictured is that it's got a built in 110dB alarm. Anyone tries to move your bike and they'll get an earful. http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/motorbikes/alarm/page1/

Red Baron has 'em for about 1400 Baht. Panda Rider too.

Make sure you don't buy a similar cheapo type here in Thailand. I had one on my bike, forgot it was there, and rolled forward slowly and it broke off without much effort. Useless.

I think it's better to put the disc lock on the rear wheel if you can. I've seen them moving the bikes around before and the common way is to lift the bike by the front wheel and roll it along on the back, thus defeating the steering lock. Also, I always tie a little string on my handle bars when I have the disc lock on to remind me so I don't destroy my disc by driving away with it on.

I did think about making a sign in thai to leave on my bike.. Something like 'don't touch - High voltage' or something similar.

Never mind the sign ,how about the real thing. James Bond or the like style!

Regards Bojo

I think it's better to put the disc lock on the rear wheel if you can. I've seen them moving the bikes around before and the common way is to lift the bike by the front wheel and roll it along on the back, thus defeating the steering lock. Also, I always tie a little string on my handle bars when I have the disc lock on to remind me so I don't destroy my disc by driving away with it on.

The string on the throttle is a great tip. Terrible sound when the padlock on the disc hits the brakepads and calipre :)

i have a big bike and park a lot in Arab street. one time i came back and some ass moved it out into the street about a meter from the curb. wish i could have caught him, asked around but no one saw a thing :) . i was parked correctly in a good space so i dont know why, first time in 3 years, hope the last

by the way, i don't think the wheel locks do all that much. Sitting across from Starbucks on Pattaya Tai, I watch the traffic pickup truck with 2 guys lift the bikes that are parked in the zebra crossing into the truck and take them away all the time. I try to warm some of the guys parking there but usually they ignore me

Try to warm me and I'll ignore you to. :D

A acquaintance had the same problem with people moving, bumping etc. He got one of those dummy grenades, placed it directly behind front tire, did it work, he said someone stole the grenade but no one messed with his bike again. It will be a conversation piece anyway.

Looks like I'm going to have to come to terms with people moving my bike :) !! It seems Thais have a true knack for moving locked up bikes. Even with my steering locked and a chain locking the front wheel to the front forks, people still managed to move my bike last week....seems that lifting the front and rear just to make a gap to squeeze into is just part of their parking routine.

Thanks for the help guys but I guess I'll have to be the one to make the sacrifice and park farther......dang!

I saw a dude with a brand new Kawasaki ZX10R polished and nice, jumped on with his GiG and revved and took of resulting in an awesome crash due to the disc lock. Wrecked bike, loss of face in front of a huge crowd. Priceless...

I put mine in gear and lock the steering, keeps it staying where it is so far. I do sometimes catch some cun_t sitting on my bike playing with it tho... Not sure how to avoid it, mebbe a sign in Thai with (danger owner has swine flu, you might get sick if you touch it)