Recommended Medicine For People Who Drink To Much

matt888

take some milk thistle (silymarin)-

studies on the effect of silymarin on toxic liver damage (mostly induced by alcohol), chronic liver disease and disease caused by certain drugs have been reviewed by medical experts. They concluded that basic lab and clinical data suggests silymarin is a therapeutically useful medicinal plant product that stabilizes the cell membrane and stimulates protein synthesis, while accelerating the process of regeneration in damaged liver tissue, and that these effects are important in the therapeutic efficacy of silymarin.

buy it over the counter in almost any pharmacy in bangkok, its pharmaceutical name is Legalon 70. A strip of 10 capsules costs 95 baht in my local pharmacy.

Legalon 70 is a medicine acting on the liver - Reinforces the regenerative capacity and functional efficiency of the liver Legalon is the outcome of several decades of intensive research by Madaus. It is entirely of plant origin and is manufactured in the form of a dry extract from the fruits of the milk thistle. The active ingredient is silymarin, with its principal active component silibinin. Extensive research into this extract over the last 20 years has conclusively proved that this extract is beneficial in protecting and detoxifying the liver. Medicines of plant origin are in general well tolerated, and this is certainly true of Legalon.

I recommend anyone who feels they drink to much to try using this medicine.

JETEPAR By ROTTA Pharmacy....Google it and look for it under Mims. Legalon is a good product has well. It is even cheaper in Cambodia by at least 50% compared with Thailand. From what I can tell JETEPAR actually may reverse fatty change in the liver and detoxify it as well. Legalon is a hepatoprotectant I think being on both of them would be the best. And of course cutiing back on drinking.......I am unsure if you can buy JETEPAR in Cambodia...You can get it in Singapore for about 35$ a bottle for 80capsules and you need between 4 and 6 a day....

It won't help help me much, but may be it could help others:

Legalon 70 is called Samarin 70 mg. here. 5-7 B a piece, any pharmacy. Eat three a day.

Add:

Vit B1. 3 times 100 mg a day.

Essentiale - 1 capsule a day.

Zink 1oo mg (i.e. 15-20 mg of the real mineral) a day.

Folic acid - one standard tablet a day.

Lechitin, 1 capsule of 1200mg a day.

Add some fish oil, calcium, magnesium, multivitamins etc. and you will postphone your liver malfunctioning for a while. At the last LFT/Ultrasound they downgraded my liver hepatitis from Alcoholic Hepatitis to Steato Hepatitis (if you are a drunk, you can yahoogle it).

But it won't save you or your brain in the long run. But then again - may be you crash on your motorbike tomorrow ...

PS Still alive on 20+ cans of Heiniken a day (needed a change from the Leo bottles).

• 1 month later...

I don't know what ou are asking the price for, but what I have listed will bring you back some 1000 Baht a month. There are some misspellings in my post: Should be Essential (?), Zinc and Lecitin.

Also you should add Vit B1-6-12.

The most 'fancy' now for the alcoholic's brain and liver is Stresstabs+Zinc and Metadoxil (metadoxine). Yahoogle it. Hard to find some places (shop around) and kind of expencive (if you buy out patient in a hospital you will be ripped off seriously).

But in the end I have learned that the body doesn't absorb most of it while you are still drinking.

• 3 weeks later...

I find squeezed lemon / lime into soda or mineral water is a great antioxidant detoxifier helps flush away thoses liver toxins.

B1, B12 helps slow down Lactic acid poisoning. It's the excess lactic acid that causes muscle aches, headaches, chest pains and can also cause anxiety and panic attacks asscoaited with heavy drinking.

If you are drinking or detoxing important to get your B vitamins.

I'm currently a day two detox using the above technique with pretty good results/

All heavy drinkers should take vitamin B complex as a must do , I was taking them as a heavy drinker and continue to do so since I quit cold turkey 7 months ago , garlic and red peppers in the diet will help keep the prostate from enlarging . On my last check up there were no signs of liver or kidney problems , I will never drink again ,as my young wife deserves more respect than a drunken fool sitting opposite her at the table and is enjoying the return of her love life .

my lady is from europe where that milk thistle is prescribed

also germany now does same thing

i drink far to much and AA has never worked for me

she also gives me a thing, again from her country called nootrapil which is for the brain

any comments?

listen guys, this may sound total bs

but she found this thing here called atp

check it on internet

man, i shit you not, one glass of that and i was feeling great

pls try it

goodluck

SD

any other tips

how to stop the cravings?

Samarin(silymarin, milk thistle)

Vit. B1

Essential

Zinc

Folic acid

Lecithin

Fish Oil

Stresstabs600+Zinc

Metadoxil (metadoxine)

Vit. B1-6-12.

I'll stick to this list. My liver function test showed almost normal enzyme levels in only 20 days without drinking, and my brain and nervous system has started to function ok.

This Nootropil looks interesting, but cannot be taken if you have liver impairment. No doctor or psychiatrist has suggested it to me.

ATP seems to be something the body produces itself - can you buy it? There is some mention of craving in the last link.

As noted, nootrpil (piracetam) is completely contraindicated in people with any degree of liver impairment which pretty well rules it out for "people who drink too much". Indications for its use are cerebrovascular disorders. It is not intended nor likely to help with the effects of alcoholism and indeed, may worsent htem by placing additional demands on the liver.

ATP is produced in the body's cells, it is the end product of cellular respiration. It is a very unstable com,pound which releases energ when its chemical bonds are broken. It does not have any medicinal uses and would not, in any case, survive the digestive process since it contains an amino acid. Whatever may be in the product called "ATP", it is not actual ATP. The effects cited by previous poster would suggest instead some type of stimulant. The taking of drugs of unknown contents/side effects is likewise not at all a good idea, especially for people with a history of heavy drinking.

Stick to the vitamins etc.

Some people find stevia helpful for cravings.

Alcohol is pure sugar and its abuse can lead to inappropriate insulin secretion and craving. The cure for this is to do the opposite of what the cravibng dictates and avoid all processed carbohydrates. After a few days of a diet high in protein, vegetables, fruit and whole grains (no white rice/white bread/pasta, nothing with sugra added to it, and of course no alcohol) the body metabolism starts to correct itself and the craving lessens.

This Nootropil looks interesting, but cannot be taken if you have liver impairment. No doctor or psychiatrist has suggested it to me.

ATP seems to be something the body produces itself - can you buy it? There is some mention of craving in the last link.

yep, my lady ( euro new age health freak who is completley in to all this stuff) swears by it

and gets it from a local nice guy here

seems to work well for me

i was told nootrapil combats the neg effects booze has on the brain

the body produces all sorts of stuff, but often not enough to make a postive difference( says my lady)

Surley this couldnt be the same pest that grows wild in Oz, that which we call milk thistle?

In some varieties it can grow thick and tall but the spores can be a real b&stard if you touch em!!

I think the relevance to milk is from the thick white sap you get if you chop the main stem in half..

I tasted this as a kid and nearly puked..might be the reason why i like beer so much :)

Yes you can. If you are relatively young and want to help your liver, take Legalon/Samarin 70 mg 3 times a day (the doctor says preferably with food), Essential 2-3 times a day, and if you can find it: Metadoxil one time in the eveneing. If you are and old alkie, please se my list in post # 12. But eat, eat, eat and drink lots of water. Wish you a long life.

Many of the supplements mentioned in this thread are indeed effective. However, their effectiveness will be far greater if taken at the same time every day, preferably right after the serenity prayer is said at the start of your daily AA meeting.

• 1 year later...