Corruption At Main Garages

redman

Last week, I got into my 20 years old Vigo(25000 kms) outside my hotel in Sri Racha. Fired it up and it sounded rough as hel_l. Driving to Pattaya and it was coughing, then cut out at lights in Sukhumvit. Fired up again, cut out more than 30 times on me, yellow warning light on dash was translated as "drive slowly to Toyota dealers". Then gf lets it slip she took to Toyota in Sri Racha for a service without me knowing, I was in hospital. As she is going through the driving lessons/test thing, she took it in for a service as we were driving to Isaan next day. Apparently the instructor has said always check your vehicle before going on a long journey.

Anyway, I felt better at that, thinking something had been left loose somewhere. I asked her for the service sheet and she said she didn't get one as the Manager had suggested they could do her a deal as long as it didn't go through the books. I asked how much she paid and she said 3000 baht, but no receipt. I must admit to going apeshit at her and we took it back next morning. I showed her the last 10,000 miles service receipt which was for 1080 baht and now she got mad too. She went to see the guy and told him that I was hoppping mad and needed a service sheet and receipt, before they fixed the car. Anyway, they said a plug had been left loose from the engine management system, and eveything was OK now. They also gave ger a receipt for 5800 and a service sheet for a 40,000 kms service. Not being there, I can't really say what was actually done, if anything, but it sure didn't need a 40,000 service. The engine compartment hasn't been washed as it usually is when I get the 10000 service done. I normally take it to Au Udom and they are first class

Since then, the car has been in a different Toyota dealer twice for starting problems, I am sure as a result of more bodged work, but the cheating and lying in a Toyota garage has really surprised me.

Last week, I got into my 20 years old Vigo(25000 kms) outside my hotel in Sri Racha. Fired it up and it sounded rough as hel_l. Driving to Pattaya and it was coughing, then cut out at lights in Sukhumvit. Fired up again, cut out more than 30 times on me, yellow warning light on dash was translated as "drive slowly to Toyota dealers". Then gf lets it slip she took to Toyota in Sri Racha for a service without me knowing, I was in hospital. As she is going through the driving lessons/test thing, she took it in for a service as we were driving to Isaan next day. Apparently the instructor has said always check your vehicle before going on a long journey.

Anyway, I felt better at that, thinking something had been left loose somewhere. I asked her for the service sheet and she said she didn't get one as the Manager had suggested they could do her a deal as long as it didn't go through the books. I asked how much she paid and she said 3000 baht, but no receipt. I must admit to going apeshit at her and we took it back next morning. I showed her the last 10,000 miles service receipt which was for 1080 baht and now she got mad too. She went to see the guy and told him that I was hoppping mad and needed a service sheet and receipt, before they fixed the car. Anyway, they said a plug had been left loose from the engine management system, and eveything was OK now. They also gave ger a receipt for 5800 and a service sheet for a 40,000 kms service. Not being there, I can't really say what was actually done, if anything, but it sure didn't need a 40,000 service. The engine compartment hasn't been washed as it usually is when I get the 10000 service done. I normally take it to Au Udom and they are first class

Since then, the car has been in a different Toyota dealer twice for starting problems, I am sure as a result of more bodged work, but the cheating and lying in a Toyota garage has really surprised me.

Sorry about the typo, it should read 20 months old in the first line

I have to be honest and say I am not surprised, as a similar thing happened to me, although not so serious.

When I was away on business my wife drove the car a little fast over a speed bump and the protective cover from underneath the engine fell down and was scraping on the ground. She took it to a Toyota garage who insisted that it could not be fixed and needed a new one, this was at a cost of just over B3,000.

My wife kept the old part and I took a look at it when I got back home and noticed that the only issue was that the hole in the plastic had become slightly enlarged so that the screw would no longer hold it in place. I could have fixed this with a 2 baht washer, the whole new part was completely unnecessary and just a rip off. They really do take advantage, in the long run they will lose out because I will never ever use their garage for anything again. I should have gone there and asked them why they cheated my wife but I will just vote with my feet and go elsewhere in future.

They are scum, subhuman scum.

I have to be honest and say I am not surprised, as a similar thing happened to me, although not so serious.

When I was away on business my wife drove the car a little fast over a speed bump and the protective cover from underneath the engine fell down and was scraping on the ground. She took it to a Toyota garage who insisted that it could not be fixed and needed a new one, this was at a cost of just over B3,000.

My wife kept the old part and I took a look at it when I got back home and noticed that the only issue was that the hole in the plastic had become slightly enlarged so that the screw would no longer hold it in place. I could have fixed this with a 2 baht washer, the whole new part was completely unnecessary and just a rip off. They really do take advantage, in the long run they will lose out because I will never ever use their garage for anything again. I should have gone there and asked them why they cheated my wife but I will just vote with my feet and go elsewhere in future.

I doubt they'll be bothered if you don't go back, they'll find plenty of others to rip-off, atleast you could have went and told them that you won't be spending any more money there and that you have told everybody you know about what they did and that they are thieving cu_nts, or is that a bit extreme?

Pick any country in the world and getting a good tradesman is so hard to find that's why word of mouth is the best advert or the worst advert depending on how good or bad they are, I know, my brother is an excellent mechanic and the amount of people I've sent to him and they in turn tell all their friends, best form of advertising.

Brigante7.

I'm not a Thailand apologist !

But the same thing happens around the World anytime a woman/girl takes a car into a garage for a service...

They love non technical customers...

Agree with you 100% !

Sorry about the typo, it should read 20 months old in the first line

You may want to teach your GF, a Toyota service starts with a written estimate on job, price and time, and the vehicles conditon (accidents and fuel) All in a computerprint. Then you avoid beeing the next scam victim. Anywhere in the world

Edited by katabeachbum

Sorry about the typo, it should read 20 months old[/b][/size] in the first line

[i]You may want to teach your GF, a Toyota service starts with a written estimate on job, price and time, and the vehicles conditon (accidents and fuel) All in a computerprint. Then you avoid beeing the next scam victim. Anywhere in the world[/i]

Just go to another Toyota dealer and never agree to anything else as written above, and dont open yourself for a scam.

Just a small hint, check all electrical connections to and from the engine management system.

Most of the time there is an ingress of oil, albeit very little, but enough to disrupt the right functioning of the system.

All plugs and leads should be free of oil!

I understand you are angry because of the 3000 baht you spent on something that could have been fixed with a washer.

However, sometimes the Toyota manual decribes how to repair things, and maybe they simphy had to follow the rules laid down by Toyota.

Do try to remember that any marque of cars tries to get some profit from selling you the car, but also to sell you spare parts for hugely inflated prices.

Why do you think all carproducers void the guarantee if non-original parts are used for repairs?

Definitely not because all the non original parts are bad quality, there are replacemnet parts that are much better as the original.

In your case, the pan's attachment to the engine might be possible by placing a new washer or a nonstandard attachment, or maybe using industrial strength glue, whatever.

But maybe the integrety of the pan was also damaged by bumping into the speed bump or grating over the ground, who knows?

Toyota will have advised the garage through the manual to install a new item.

Maybe they are not scum, subhuman scum?

Maybe just being a dealer, following the rules laid down by the factory?

Mind you, I know very well that scams in the car repair business are "accepted"

But I do know very well too, that being a dealer means investing heavily into stocks of spare parts, and doing repairs in the prescribed way, using the prescribed and stocked parts.

Edited by hansnl

I understand you are angry because of the 3000 baht you spent on something that could have been fixed with a washer.

However, sometimes the Toyota manual decribes how to repair things, and maybe they simphy had to follow the rules laid down by Toyota.

Do try to remember that any marque of cars tries to get some profit from selling you the car, but also to sell you spare parts for hugely inflated prices.

Why do you think all carproducers void the guarantee if non-original parts are used for repairs?

Definitely not because all the non original parts are bad quality, there are replacemnet parts that are much better as the original.

In your case, the pan's attachment to the engine might be possible by placing a new washer or a nonstandard attachment, or maybe using industrial strength glue, whatever.

But maybe the integrety of the pan was also damaged by bumping into the speed bump or grating over the ground, who knows?

Toyota will have advised the garage through the manual to install a new item.

Maybe they are not scum, subhuman scum?

Maybe just being a dealer, following the rules laid down by the factory?

Mind you, I know very well that scams in the car repair business are "accepted"

But I do know very well too, that being a dealer means investing heavily into stocks of spare parts, and doing repairs in the prescribed way, using the prescribed and stocked parts.

Did you/do you work for a main dealer,because you are trying to protect a dishonest thai guy.He didnt do a recipe so he could pocket the money,and nearly cocked up his engine by not tightening the spark plug

This is similar as in the USA or Europe. This happens when overstudied University peaple run a Garage or dealership. They don't use common senses anymore. If the customer would go in a local small dirty Workshop, where the mecanic know nothing about school, they would have the idea of a washer, because this local monkey style oily mecanic have commonsenses and they can modifieze something, they have more brain than all the "fine fingered" university kids without commonsenses who like to repair cars in a white overall and not want get dirty.

Edited by stingray

I'm not a Thailand apologist !

But the same thing happens around the World anytime a woman/girl takes a car into a garage for a service...

They love non technical customers...

Yup. I can confirm, all over the world. But not only woman, just customers with not technical understanding at all, that are fooled.

This is similar as in the USA or Europe. This happens when overstudied University peaple run a Garage or dealership. They don't use common senses anymore. If the customer would go in a local small dirty Workshop, where the mecanic know nothing about school, they would have the idea of a washer, because this local monkey style oily mecanic have commonsenses and they can modifieze something, they have more brain than all the "fine fingered" university kids without commonsenses who like to repair cars in a white overall and not want get dirty.

Amen. Correction: White overall with gloves on :) ! The best mechanics are the ones, that are almost black from grease at the end of the job.

>The best mechanics are the ones, that are almost black from grease at the end of the job.

Maybe true for older cars, these days everything is controlled by the ECU computer and getting a download from that is normally the first step in the fault and servicing process.

The problem comes when old skool meets high tech and they are affraid to loose face when they can't admit they slept through the manufacturer's training course.

There is a place I know that has a greasy keyboard for the engineers to use, but the PC is linked through to the front office staff that do 'their' bit as well. Times have moved on - and the people stuck in the past will be left to enjoy their old bangers.

It's true that almost every car now, is controlled by injection, does comes the ecu, which has to be read out with faults. But then again, when reading out, this only diagnosis the components linked to the ecu, other mechanical engine parts etc are left the oldskool way. Plus not always necessary to read the ecu, many times, common sense and engine behaviour understandings solved me alot of problem. Now I have had en Ford Mondeo, which did not run well. After some common sense, it turned out to be the lambda sensor, in the exhaust.

But yeah, you are right, reading out is where we are going in the future, and allready do. But still, their is alot of mechanical parts on it. + bodywork to be done.

Not all auto mechanics are crooks and robbers. When I was running the family auto repair business woman where treated fairly as men.

But keep in mind some customers can be difficult and occassionally dangerous! Problems with woman drivers can be as follows :- drive with handbrake on, fail to bring car in for disc pad change when brake application squealing is unbearably loud and complain when they are told new rotors are needed as well as pads, engaging 'Park' whilst still rolling, putting off engine service......for years!

But it's not my job to educate em, just clean up their mess!

Not all auto mechanics are crooks and robbers. When I was running the family auto repair business woman where treated fairly as men.

But keep in mind some customers can be difficult and occassionally dangerous! Problems with woman drivers can be as follows :- drive with handbrake on, fail to bring car in for disc pad change when brake application squealing is unbearably loud and complain when they are told new rotors are needed as well as pads, engaging 'Park' whilst still rolling, putting off engine service......for years!

But it's not my job to educate em, just clean up their mess!

:D Yeah, it's amazing when they complain, when they get the big repair bill, for discs and pads hehe. :)

Did you/do you work for a main dealer,because you are trying to protect a dishonest thai guy.He didnt do a recipe so he could pocket the money,and nearly cocked up his engine by not tightening the spark plug

And of course no Farang mechanic since the Model T was built has ever not tightened up a spark plug correctly?