International Terrorist Selvarasa Pathmanathan Arrested In Bangkok

george

:)

I believe Interpol has international juristiction, and if their were open warrents for his arrest, Interpol could have arrested him as he tried to get off the plane, or on one of the land borders...I would think maybe Malaysia. Since he never would have gone through immigration, technically he wasn't yet "in Thailand" if he was arested at the airport or at the border before entering the country. That could be the source of the confusion on whether he was "in Thailand" or not.

:D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Interpol has international juristiction, and if their were open warrents for his arrest, Interpol could have arrested him as he tried to get off the plane, or on one of the land borders...I would think maybe Malaysia. Since he never would have gone through immigration, technically he wasn't yet "in Thailand" if he was arested at the airport or at the border before entering the country. That could be the source of the confusion on whether he was "in Thailand" or not.

Perhaps a mod can modify to the thread to read "... apparently not arrested in Thailand"

Other sources said that it looks like they just grabbed him and put him on a plane to Colombo -- no judges, courts, extradition appeals of anything. Conflicting information.

Maybe he had lifted something from KingPower.

now that is possible indeed! :D

The same guy caught him that stamped a tourist visa on the same page in my passport where

my mutiple entry and my yearly visa was. :D

Extradition is needed to transfer an alleged criminal between the jurisdictions of two different law enforcement agencies. Thailand to Australia, or California to Kentucky, for example. But the FBI can move somebody in their custody between states without extradition. Doesn't Interpol have international jurisdiction, just as the FBI has national jurisdiction in the US? If there were Interpol warrants, then they could indeed have simply apprehended him and bundled him off to face trial in Sri Lanka. He will be charged and all that once there.
Any country can return passengers that do not meet visa requirements before entery into the country at boader control with out trial. Just hold them at the airport and put back on the next flight.

Have you guys ever been to Sri Lanka. The Tamil Tigers have kept that country in a state of panic for 30 years. They have intimidated and threatened their own people and held the country to ransom for that entire time. Colombo has been a city under siege for years and years and they have slowly ground the economy into the dust. All this for about 5% of the population. They want an autonomous zone. Impossible in a country of this size and they are backed by their brethen in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The current Prime Minister of Sri Lanka should be congratulated for what he has done. The Sri Lankan Government probably extended the state of emergency for good reason. The favourite tactic of the Tamil Tigers over the years has been to call a cease fire and then use that breathing space as a opportunity to re-arm. The Government has to keep their guard up because they are probably not finished yet. And you can't make an omellete without breaking a few eggs.

Flame on bleading hearts!

Make your homework! Tamils are making about 20 %, there are Sri Lankan Tamils (14%), and Indian Tamils (4%). The whole thing didn't start because the Tamils wanted an "autonomous zone" but because the then female PM was a fascist. The thing with the ceasfire is very true, but after killing them all it's hard to talk about a cease fire, simply because there is no one left to talk to. "Can't make an omelette without braking a few eggs" is something you should try to tell the "civillians" in the "humanitarian refugee camps" up in the north! Sure the LTTE was using tactics as inhumane as they can get, as any irregular army has to, fighting against a regular. And no I don't like them neither but this doesn't mean the SLA, SLN and their little "special commandos" backed by their government should be allowed to commit crimes against humanity on a daily basis, and to an extend that is even worst than what the LTTE was doing. About beeing backed by Tamil Nadu, yes You know they are also tamils over there, and if it wouldn't have been for the Indian Government, the LTTE would have never become what it was, and without selling them out Rajiv Gandhi wouldn't have been killed either...

And your point is? the fact is the majority Sinhalese have a right to a peaceful existence without being held hostage by the terrorist LTTE - you cannot negotiate with these outfits and finally a Sri Lankan government had the balls to take the other option after successive governments tried to negotiate. Maybe the Thai Government could learn a thing or two from this about the trouble-makers in the South.

Makes me wonder why Thailand doesn't want the prestige of acknowledging such a man was apprehended and arrested here in Thailand. What are they scared of? Repercussions?

No, i think that they don't want to 'loose face' by admitting that he was not arrested on entry !

Makes me wonder why Thailand doesn't want the prestige of acknowledging such a man was apprehended and arrested here in Thailand. What are they scared of? Repercussions?

Afraid for a further decline in tourism, maybe?

Have you guys ever been to Sri Lanka. The Tamil Tigers have kept that country in a state of panic for 30 years. They have intimidated and threatened their own people and held the country to ransom for that entire time. Colombo has been a city under siege for years and years and they have slowly ground the economy into the dust. All this for about 5% of the population. They want an autonomous zone. Impossible in a country of this size and they are backed by their brethen in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The current Prime Minister of Sri Lanka should be congratulated for what he has done. The Sri Lankan Government probably extended the state of emergency for good reason. The favourite tactic of the Tamil Tigers over the years has been to call a cease fire and then use that breathing space as a opportunity to re-arm. The Government has to keep their guard up because they are probably not finished yet. And you can't make an omellete without breaking a few eggs.

Make your homework! Tamils are making about 20 %, there are Sri Lankan Tamils (14%), and Indian Tamils (4%). The whole thing didn't start because the Tamils wanted an "autonomous zone" but because the then female PM was a fascist. The thing with the ceasfire is very true, but after killing them all it's hard to talk about a cease fire, simply because there is no one left to talk to. "Can't make an omelette without braking a few eggs" is something you should try to tell the "civillians" in the "humanitarian refugee camps" up in the north! Sure the LTTE was using tactics as inhumane as they can get, as any irregular army has to, fighting against a regular. And no I don't like them neither but this doesn't mean the SLA, SLN and their little "special commandos" backed by their government should be allowed to commit crimes against humanity on a daily basis, and to an extend that is even worst than what the LTTE was doing. About beeing backed by Tamil Nadu, yes You know they are also tamils over there, and if it wouldn't have been for the Indian Government, the LTTE would have never become what it was, and without selling them out Rajiv Gandhi wouldn't have been killed either...

And your point is? the fact is the majority Sinhalese have a right to a peaceful existence without being held hostage by the terrorist LTTE - you cannot negotiate with these outfits and finally a Sri Lankan government had the balls to take the other option after successive governments tried to negotiate. Maybe the Thai Government could learn a thing or two from this about the trouble-makers in the South.

To Mr Johnson and the others..............YES i lived and worked in Sri Lanka (Ceylon in those days) for 3 years in the 50's.

The Sinhalese were the 'rulers' and used and treated the lovely friendly, but poor and uneducated Tamils like dirt! In those days life in Ceylon was slow and peaceful, i always felt sorry for those Tamils and their lot in life and slowly began to dispise the ruling class of the Sinhalese who looked down on them as 'uneducated nobody's; Something like whats going on today in the north of Thailand today.( So beware).

I can remember saying to my ex-pat friends at the time...............quote..One day these Tamils are going to get some educated men amongst them and then the shit will hit the fan.

So Mr Johnston and the others who pass judgement without really knowing the root cause of the problem , try to understand before you shoot your mouths off after thinking that you know it all from reading the newspapers. :)

In a democratic Sri Lanka, 18% of the population could form a voting block to bring about change, without exploding market-places to terrorise the rest of the population. That nowhere near that number of people joined the LTTE indicates that perhaps the majority of Tamils didn't fancy dying for the cause.

In all probability, most of the 70,000 odd people who died would rather be alive than free of oppression - ungrateful mongrels!

I'm sure had the LTTE come to rule a small part of the country, they would have restored full human rights as soon as they finished those who didn't deserve them. :)

Other sources said that it looks like they just grabbed him and put him on a plane to Colombo -- no judges, courts, extradition appeals of anything. Conflicting information.

Good news. I hope they hang him.

[And your point is? the fact is the majority Sinhalese have a right to a peaceful existence without being held hostage by the terrorist LTTE - you cannot negotiate with these outfits and finally a Sri Lankan government had the balls to take the other option after successive governments tried to negotiate.

True.

Maybe the Thai police don't want to tarnish their near perfect arrest record. Or is it non arrest record?

To Mr Johnson and the others..............YES i lived and worked in Sri Lanka (Ceylon in those days) for 3 years in the 50's.

The Sinhalese were the 'rulers' and used and treated the lovely friendly, but poor and uneducated Tamils like dirt! In those days life in Ceylon was slow and peaceful, i always felt sorry for those Tamils and their lot in life and slowly began to dispise the ruling class of the Sinhalese who looked down on them as 'uneducated nobody's; Something like whats going on today in the north of Thailand today.( So beware).

I can remember saying to my ex-pat friends at the time...............quote..One day these Tamils are going to get some educated men amongst them and then the shit will hit the fan.

So Mr Johnston and the others who pass judgement without really knowing the root cause of the problem , try to understand before you shoot your mouths off after thinking that you know it all from reading the newspapers. :)

Totaly agree with you, most people don't understand racism is a worldwide problem... Having been married to a singhalese woman, i know singhala racism from it's ugliest sides... :D

Then why are you sleeping with a racist Singhalese?

Maybe he had lifted something from KingPower.

Thanks for a good laugh.

The Sinhalese were the 'rulers' and used and treated the lovely friendly, but poor and uneducated Tamils like dirt! In those days life in Ceylon was slow fand peaceful, i always felt sorry for those Tamils and their lot in life and slowly began to dispise the ruling class of the Sinhalese who looked down on them as 'uneducated nobody's; Something like whats going on today in the north of Thailand today.( So beware).

I can remember saying to my ex-pat riends at the time...............quote..One day these Tamils are going to get some educated men amongst them and then the shit will hit the fan.

So mister, you had lived in SL for 3 years even before the problem starts in SL. So, that 3 year experience makes you qualified to surpass all the others in this forum and assume all the others should buy your one side story. I guess I am a bit over qualified than you because I lived there 27 years and because I was born there!

Tamil problem in SL is purely SL affair and it has nothing to do with Thailand or rest of the other countries. We Singhalese do not need character certificates from other nations and we don’t intend discuss our internal problems here.

Since you are swearing against my country, government of my country and pretend to be an expert of tamil terrorist problem in SL can you educated all of us by answering few questions;

1.What is the discrimination against tamils in Srilanka?

2.What is the thing that a person can’t achieve in Srilanka because he/she is a tamil?

3.What is the % of tamils live in North/East against the whole Tamil population in SL?

Now these are bit tricky

4.Which country in the world accepts 18% minority language as an official language par with majority language and force the majority to learn minority language?

5.Which country in the world requires majority to share power 50/50 with minority of 18%?

6.Which country ready to give 1/3 of the land and sea rights to 18% minority to declare a state exclusively for that particular race?

If you can come up with some logical answers to above as a srilankan I consider you’re qualified to pass judgments against my country. If not your simply parroting something that you heard from a BBC or from a tamil terrorist!

International Terrorist Selvarasa Pathmanathan arrested in Bangkok

By John Le Fevre

He's arrested in Malesia, your information is wrong.

Gerard50

200px-Kumaran_Pathmanadan.jpg

One of the few known pictures of Selvarasa Pathmanathan

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Sri Lankan government and military officials are claiming that Selvarasa Pathmanathan, the newly self-appointed leader of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), has been arrested in Thailand.

Sri Lankan military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara said, 54-year-old Pathmanathan “has been arrested in Bangkok. That is all we know at the moment".

However, Basil Rajapaksa, senior advisor to and brother of President Mahinda Rajapaksa, said Pathmanathan, better known as KP during his decades running the LTTEs arms and smuggling networks, was arrested on Interpol warrants late yesterday and flown immediately to Colombo.

Pathmanathan is wanted in connection with the assassination of former Indian prime minister, Rajiv Gandhi in 1991, and was the LTTE’s chief procurer of arms during its 25-year battle for an independent homeland for Sri Lanka's ethnic Tamil minority.

Pathmanathan took over the terrorist group in May this year following a last ditched bloody battle between Sri Lankan government forces and the LTTE which resulted in the groups founding-leader, V Prabhakaran, along with all senior cadre, being killed.

The LTTE was blamed for hundreds of suicide attacks and more than 70,000 people were believed killed in fighting over the years.

In India he is considered a fugitive, with arrest warrants issued for him for the Gandhi assassination, as well as for violation of the Terrorist Act and the Indian Explosive Act.

Security experts had long suspected Pathmanathan was hiding in southeast Asia but despite the high profile nature of Pathmanathan, there was no immediate comment from Thai officials.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-08-07

Makes sense to me

Arrest him in Thailand

and this will start terrorist threats and chances of big problems for Thailand

Bst idea stick him on a plane and send him to a country that want him

once on the plane a quick phone call to their embassy

and the police will be waiting for the plan to land

Thailand has great face in the world countries that matter

and know nothing when the countries do no matter come knocking on Thai doors

All Hogan's Hero's fans from tv days will remember Sgt Shultz

I KNOW NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING

Yhe Latest news from the Netherlands, he was arrested in Malesia.

Gerard50

No one on any of the sides has pointed out that PRChina now has a new ally in the government of Sri Lanka in whose behalf the Chinese intervened decisively to finally end the Tamil Tiger rebellion. The PRC's new ally in Colombo is a few miles away from India which PRChina continually excoriates in its daily state controlled news programs to the Chinese population. PRChina presents India as its exhibit number 1 of why democracy in Asia doesn't and can't succeed as a form of government (or anywhere else for that matter).

PRChina facilitated additional military aid to Colombo from Pakistan to the tune of USD$100 million and for Pakistani Air Force personnel to train Sri Lankan Air Force pilots.

PRChina also has facilitated an alliance between Colombo and the PRC's good friend ruling ayatollas in Tehran.

But that's peanuts compared to PRChina's decisive contribution to slaying the Tigers.

1) PRChina decisively infused USD$ 1 billion in direct military aid to Columbo, to include Jian-7 fighter jets and JY-11 3D air survellience radar planes that were critical to rooting out the Tiger forces.

2) PRChina is financing and constructing a USD$ 1 billion new port in Hambantoto on the South East of Sri Lanka at the vital shiipping lanes of the Indian Ocean. The port is expected to include a PRC naval and survellience base.

3) The PRC is financing and constructing a multi million dollar new port in the hometown of Sri Lankan Pres Mahinda Rajapakse.

The PRC provided this aid and gained a new ally after the US Government terminated assistance to Colombo due to human rights concerns. The government of India too has had to tread lightly concerning Sri Lanka due to the same concerns. A spokesperson of the Government of India stated it in this way concerning the final offensive in Sri Lanka: "Unlike in our case, there is no moral dimension to the crisis for China. We have to think about the humanitarian situation and conditions after the offensive is over. There is no domestic compulsion for China but our involvement is much more intricate."

PRChina has now added Sri Lanka to its "String of Pearls" policy of constructing naval or survellience bases around the Indian Ocean. Other recent PRC 'pearls' include Burma, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Maldives, Seychelles, Mauritius, Madagascar and counting.

The PRC also prevented the UN Security Council from voting a resolution to condemn the mass slaughter of civilians in Sri Lanka during the Chinese supported final offensive against the Tigers. Sec of State Hillary Clinton included these matters during her recent several days visit to India before traveling on to Thailand for the ASEAN meeting in Phuket.

An informative reference is at this link:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/In...how/4449209.cms

Edited by Publicus

They arrested him, took him to the ATM, he was then un-arrested, then they promptly took him to the airport where he told them he was going to Colombo as a joke, just in case they decided they wanted more "tea". Now nobody knows where he is again.

Haha.

Made in Thailand.

Reminds me when i had a beating (dont ever let thai girls drink) with my ex-gf and next morning police knocked my door.

(she had a little blue circle on her arm, myself more harmed...i think thats why the money was little smaller (7k) )

Same direction, straightly to the ATM

LOL

Gvt - Police are scare, if he were " catched " and brought to Colombo - the GVT dont know anything - OK;

But if they would heve arrested him official - they would have put a trial on him, before to send him

to Sri Lanka - by law !

But who takes care in LOS for laws ?

He is not there in Thailand ! look for him !! franz

An official arrest would only complicate things, that's why the Thai government pretend to know nothing.

The same thing happend when the Mossad arrested the leader of the PKK and send him to stand trial in Turkey.

It's a lot less messy and time consuming to just grab the guy and put him on a military plane straight to SL, and let the Lankans deal with him. The alternative is to hold him, go through formalities, risk being the center of bad publicity and possibly terrorist attacks. Sometimes telling a lie is the quickest and easiest way.

As for the guy who was arrested, if he wanted to stay in Thailand, perhaps he could have been rude to an immigration official, and they'd throw him in jail for a few weeks, a la Simon. How's Simon doing, by the way? Has he written his memoirs yet? - suggested title: My Vacation in Paradise - Not

"Extradition is needed to transfer an alleged criminal between the jurisdictions of two different law enforcement agencies. Thailand to Australia, or California to Kentucky, for example. But the FBI can move somebody in their custody between states without extradition. Doesn't Interpol have international jurisdiction, just as the FBI has national jurisdiction in the US? If there were Interpol warrants, then they could indeed have simply apprehended him and bundled him off to face trial in Sri Lanka. He will be charged and all that once there."

Hello? Before you go spouting off on international law, perhaps you should take a few lectures with me? Extradition treaties are NOT necessary to extradite (this is a simple premise of international law). What extradition treaties DO (when they exist between countries) is put limitations and conditions on extraditions (for example not extraditing a murder suspect to a country which practicies capital punishment when your domestic laws do not permit the sanction of the death penalty). If two countries do NOT have extradition treaties, they are more than free to extradite WITHOUT conditions. After all what country wants to hold on to someone who committed a murder in another country? Get it? What you are propounding is the concept of "extradition" as it comes from Hollywood movies, and by the way, the guys who write those screen plays, and not professors of international law either! My point? Do not propound your expertise on international law on an internet from what you "learn" from watching Hollywood movies.

About 8 years ago when I first visited Cambodia, a friend pointed out some South Asians sitting in a riverside pub, and told me they were Tamil Tigers who were in Phnom Penh procuring weapons.

So if even your friend knew about them I assume they had filled it on their TM card.Purpose of visit:Purchasing war weapons. :)

Maybe off topic but if I read the international press today I find the following headlines:

International Terrorist Selvarasa Pathmanathan Arrested In Bangkok.

Talliban leader killed in us attack.

Indonesian police have shoot out with country's top terrorist.

That means only today at least 3 of the top from the international top terrorists have been off the world map.How long time ago it has been that you have heard so many positive news in one single day.

Should we see a message in the today news headlines?