Retirement Visa

Hi Guy's

Am looking for advice as to whether i should exchange my 12 month non-imigrant 'O' multi-entry visa which was issued on the 10th Feb 2005 when i arrive in Bangkok on the 6th April to a retirement visa, or should i let run, making border runs every 90 days until it is just about to expire and then apply for my retirement visa.

I have the funds available now.

The only problem i can see is that the police report which i have would have expired if i wait.

Secondly, once i have applied, and assuming that the retirement visa is granted, at what date would the new visa begin? :o

Any advice greatly apreciated.

You should not need that police report - they are used when you apply for an O-A long stay (retirement) visa in your home country at a Consulate. Here in Thailand it is not currently part of the process.

If you plan a bunch of travel and don't mind the 90 day limit there is no hurry. When you do apply for an extension of stay the start time will be that 90 day entry stamp start time so you will receive about 9 months the first year.

Hi Guy's

Am looking for advice as to whether i should exchange my 12 month non-imigrant 'O' multi-entry visa which was issued on the 10th Feb 2005 when i arrive in Bangkok on the 6th April to a retirement visa, or should i let run, making border runs every 90 days until it is just about to expire and then apply for my retirement visa.

I have the funds available now.

The only problem i can see is that the police report which i have would have expired  if i wait.

Secondly, once i have applied, and assuming that the retirement visa is granted, at what date would the new visa begin? :o 

Any advice greatly apreciated.

If it was me, I would get the retirement stamp now and forgo having to do border runs anymore. And you don't need a police report if you apply in Thailand, I believe. In my case, I got my stamp the same day, for one year, but mine was about to expire.. I think, on the multiple-entry you have now, you will get one year added from the date of your application, too, even though you still have more time.... They might ask you to come in during the last week of your current 'must leave by...' date though.

When you extend you extend your stay - not your visa. So if you enter for a 90 day stay on January 2 and apply for a one year extension of stay in April the extension will expire on January 1 the following year. This is important as you should plan on being here to renew each year at this same time so it is best to plan your entry for extension for a period when you would not normally travel.