Laptop Computers

minefield

I am shifting to phuket and as I will be diching my home base computer for a laptop, Can you get laptops in Phuket with a english key board or are they in "Thai script'??

They are usually American English keyboards, with Thai script also on the keys. So can be used in both English & Thai. No worries.

I recently priced up domestic and home country (UK in this case) and computers were cheaper outside Thailand and the warrantys were also international while local ones are often domestic only.

Also many laptops here sold without an OS, so it looks cheaper but if you add the price of a legit OS again thats to be considered.. Shops will put a copy OS on there for a couple hundred baht but I am not a fan of 'this isnt a genuine version of' pop ups and the security issues. If your a linux user or non windows world then you have options.

Overall theres less selection, and less quality, so unless your hunting for a real base model acer then you might want to pick it up before you come.

Not sure of where you're currently located, but in the US - here are some example prices:

10" netbooks are running 280-320 USD (9,500 - 10,500 baht) depending upon battery size. The ones with the smaller 9" screens are significantly less.

Decent 14-15" notebooks are generally around 350-400 USD (Pentium or AMD Athlon class processors). If you look around, you can find promotions for 299 USD.

All of these are for name brands (HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, Asus, Acer).

I just picked up a 10" netbook with an external DVD burner and international warranty for 350 USD. Comparable unit in Thailand without the DVD is probably around 14,000 baht. If I had waited a few more days, I could have gotten a 15" notebook with 2GB and internal DVD burner for 299 USD.

It might be a good idea to check the prices where you're currently located, then use a Thai retailer's website (like PowerBuy) to get a rough idea of the prices for comparable machines in Thailand.

I am shifting to phuket and as I will be diching my home base computer for a laptop, Can you get laptops in Phuket with a english key board or are they in "Thai script'??

You want some good advice?

Don't ditch the desktop....keep it.....use it.....maybe upgrade it a little?

Laptops are designed for mobile use, the keyboards are ergonomically.....ehhh...... shit.

Most of the time parts, memory, repairs are more expensive.

By keeping the desktop and investing a little in it, you still have the desktop if your new and shiny laptop breaks down.