Favorite restaurants

Guest IT Manager

To get out of Bangkok a touch, I actually like a thing called a Mac PunPun at Pun Pun Guesthouse. Two doors from Rama 9 Bridge on the Superhighway side of the river.

Every second beer is free if you eat there. Rooms at 280 baht also if you drive from BKK to find out what I am talking about.

Has a nice dining area (some tables and chairs under a thatch roof), right on the river for groups. Great at Loi Kratong.

Good quality bamboo building so it probably wasn't transported by a pommie from Jomtien. Rooms are very Thai, very cheap.

Lunch and dinner every day. :o

Next time you're in Phuket...

Don's Cafe for a beef steak. He [ Don ]has cold rooms and hangs the beef for 40 days, or so. Tender, sweet.

After 2 years already in Thailand, I was used to the tough steaks. What a delight to visit his place. Only problem is, I don't live in Phuket.

Sorry Mackerel to disagree but I live just round the corner from Don's Cafe and have found it very inconsisent with below average service. The only thing now that I will eat there are the ribs with bbq sauce. The steaks are sometimes tender and tasty but most of the time they overcooked and tough.

We took our American neighbours there for Thanksgiving and it got to be the worse meal I've ever had. They obviously had a lot of Turkey in the freezer that was going off so they got it out and steamed it to try and get some flavour/moisture in it, but what actually happened was it turned out very salty.

If you want a steak in Phuket for a good price there is a German restaurant on the road from Chalong circle going towards Rawai called Loma. His fillet steak is excellent and very cheap, plus the service is good.

Also in Phuket Town there is a Korean Barbeque place that is 89 baht all you can eat, but be warned if you take too much from the buffet and don't eat it there is a service charge/fine. Its a great place that is alway full of locals.

phuket Mike

How about ´After Work´ (corner of Phloen Chit & Witthayu) and ´Hillary´ Sukhumvit soi 4), or Garlic Restaurant (Soi Chotewat - off Pracha Chuen Road) when it comes to Thai food? Just a few of my Thai favourites.

Haven´t checked them out yet, but Giulio Italian Restaurant (Sukhumvit soi 49, left side) and La Buca (Sukhumvit Soi 1) are supposed to be very good at very reasonable prices.

Cha Cha Restaurant (Sukhumvit Soi 33 or 35, not sure) for great Indian food.

My mum´s girlfriend is a great cook as well - just too bad that she never past her skills on to the next generation, as my girlfriend even manages to burn water.....

If you fancy French food at a 'posh' restaurant, then I recommend "A l'etage" restaurant, Sukhumwit 39. There is also a swanky looking club downstairs from the restaurant. It is sort of in a little complex.

When I went there, there was a small beer garden with music as well. But I don't know if they still do that.

Very impressed with the service. :o Will definitely go back again when I have a chance.

The Apples guesthouse in Kanchanaburi is fortunate enough to have Khun Apple as the cook and what a wonderful job she does ! The Thai food here is fantastic and if you are willing they do a cooking class as well. The rooms are basic but very cheap and the place is well located too. Very friendly and a respectful place.

Yok Yor restaurants are pretty good for Thai food too. There are a few of them but the one with the best food has to be out at the Southern Bus Terminal just at the bend inthe road where it turns left to Phutamonton/Nakon Pathom. It is by a klong and under the freeway but the atmosphere is good when you sit outside at night. Inside has loud music. They do very good pla nueng manao, thai salads, moo dat diaow etc.

For those of us that enjoy o good jork........try the stands that set up in the evening outside the 7/11 opposite Swensens onSoin Rambutri in Bnaglampoo. This is just a 1 minute walk from Khao San Road so eay to get to. Just walk through the alley where susies pub is and then turn right when you hit Soi Rambutri. It's just around the bend.

Could go on forever.......

as ned kelly said about the jok stall in Rambutri rd, it was great after been having a great deal of drinks throughout the nigth.. also the rice stall by the jok stall provides you a very good food too but it s pretty pricy to my budget... what about kaosan centre? i think the food there is quite alrigth, for example, thai spicy grilled beef salad, i think it s the best around there.. they don't westernize the taste at all..like this dish there. :o .