Stamps With Date Past Extension Of Long-stay (retirement) Visa

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

On some of these same lines, I had some excellent help from JingThing, Maestro and others recently on another post I made regarding visas, as to the least painful way to live in Thailand as a long term Expat (American, in the Chiang Rai area).

To assist in this thread and for the sake of others who like me, might be behind the curve, I will post the final recap of the good advice I received (with a final question at the end). If I have mis-stated anything, someone please make corrections:

1) Apply at the Thai Embassy or at a Consulate in the U.S. and get a single-entry Non-Immigration “O” visa.

2) After returning to Thailand, get an Income Affidavit from the U.S. Consul in Chiang Mai, showing income of 65,000 baht per month.

3) Then near the end of the 90 day period (the last 30 days), take this Affidavit and go to Thai Immigration at Mae Sai and apply for a one year extension of stay (not a visa), based on retirement. (You will NOT need a medical letter from your doctor, or a police letter for these purposes.)

4) You will need to have a signed copy of a completed TM.7 application form for this Retirement Extension, and you will need to attach one 4x6 centimeter photo. You can get the form at the Immigration office or you can download a PDF version of it at: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a14468-.html , in case your computer cannot display Thai characters. (Print all forms double sided - not on 2 pieces of paper). You will need to bring copies of your passport photo page, the visa page, and the entry/permit to stay page - and sign them all.

5) You will need to have a copy of your TM6 Departure Card. The Departure Card is the departure portion of the arrival/departure card you get from the flight attendants on your flight to Bangkok. (On arrival, they will probably stamp your arrival date on the back, so both sides of it must be copied.)

6) You will also need ask for and fill out a TM.8 Multiple Re-entry Permit Application form, and attach a photo. You can download this form or get it at the Immigration office. The permit costs 3,800b and will allow you to leave and re-enter as many times as you want. This Re-entry Permit is all you need before you leave Thailand. When you return, on the arrival card given you, enter the number of your Re-entry Permit in the field for the visa number.

NOTE: Once you have your Retirement Extension of stay, if you stay longer than 90 days at a time in Thailand, you have to report this to the immigration office. Immigration will probably tell you this when they give you the extension of stay. The report is made with the form TM.47 90 Day Report, which can be downloaded. It can be made in person or by mail.

A FINAL QUESTION for JingThing or Maestro: The Consulate in the USA messed me around and gave me a Multiple Non-Imm "O", not a single entry. Does this mean that I now must wait until the last 30 days of a year before applying for a year's Retirement Extension??

1. You can make application during the last 30 days of any entry. Up to you if you want to wait longer.

2. Item 6 is optional - if you do not plan any travel a single entry would be better - and if you are sure of no travel just don't bother to get any re-entry permit.

Am not sure that I am sure what exactly you are talking about but a multi entry visa has no limitation on the number of entries. Each entry is stamped for 90 days (but could be one day if you want to leave early). What type of visa are you using?

An entry one day before expiration still gets a 90 day permitted to stay until stamp.

Am not sure that I am sure what exactly you are talking about but a multi entry visa has no limitation on the number of entries. Each entry is stamped for 90 days (but could be one day if you want to leave early). What type of visa are you using?

An entry one day before expiration still gets a 90 day permitted to stay until stamp.

OK, thanks a lot Lopburi & Chalongboy (Chalongboy I'm right in there with you on your avatar and signature - just wish FT had not quit when he did. Fell out with him over that since I worked so hard to get him in. BTW, I have a tiny condo at Rawai on Phuket- is your Chalong near there? I don't know how to email you privately or I would do so).