Nationwide Cash

having heard about charges being applied by Nationwide for withdrawals in Los I have found the following.

Nationwide will charge.84% for cash withdrawals using the debit card.

Nationwide will not charge for cash withdrawals in Los using a cash only card.

So if you dont have a cash only card you can apply for one in addition to any other cards that you have.

All information from Nationwides own site today.

don't know about down grading your flex account to a cash card, when I opened my flex account years ago they gave me a cash card, when I told them I wanted a debit card the nice lady opened another flex account for me with a debit card so now I've got one of each.

Good info. I'll move this to banking :)

Anyone tried to downgrade their Nationwide Debit Card to a cash only card?

Yes, done this to 2 accounts, tho they wouldnt send the replacement cards to Thailand.

The downside of these cards are they dont work in the Gov. Savings Bank where there is no 150B ATM fee

Isn't the exchange rate on the cashcard not as good as the debit? Tried to look on the internet with no luck, but in the past when ive used my cashcard the rate did'nt seem as good. Maybe someone else knows. Then if the rate is closer than .84% then its worth getting the cashcard.

I suppose the only way of finding out is if someone is in LOS with both cards to withdraw at the same time and compare rates, the exchange rate is not shown on the statement for a cashcard though.

Can a Nationwide account be opened up from Thailand , as I dont have any relatives or an address back in the UK ?

My Nat-west account is all I use but they suck and are really unhelpful with anything concerning me being out here if I have problems with

my debit card renewal etc .

No . You have to have a UK Address.

don't know about down grading your flex account to a cash card, when I opened my flex account years ago they gave me a cash card, when I told them I wanted a debit card the nice lady opened another flex account for me with a debit card so now I've got one of each.

I had 2 Flex accounts with VISA debit cards and arranged to downdrade one to CIRRUS to avoid the 0.84% charge. Although, frankly, I find it easier to move GBP to THB via Halifax online for £9.50 and use my K Bank ATM card.

Good info. I'll move this to banking :)

Anyone tried to downgrade their Nationwide Debit Card to a cash only card?

Yes, done this to 2 accounts, tho they wouldnt send the replacement cards to Thailand.

The downside of these cards are they dont work in the Gov. Savings Bank where there is no 150B ATM fee

They work in UOB though.

Can a Nationwide account be opened up from Thailand , as I dont have any relatives or an address back in the UK ?

My Nat-west account is all I use but they suck and are really unhelpful with anything concerning me being out here if I have problems with

my debit card renewal etc .

No . You have to have a UK Address.

You could consider Nationwide International (but they don't offer a Flexaccount).

Isn't the exchange rate on the cashcard not as good as the debit? Tried to look on the internet with no luck, but in the past when ive used my cashcard the rate did'nt seem as good. Maybe someone else knows. Then if the rate is closer than .84% then its worth getting the cashcard.

I suppose the only way of finding out is if someone is in LOS with both cards to withdraw at the same time and compare rates, the exchange rate is not shown on the statement for a cashcard though.

The rate is dictated by the processor i.e, VISA or Mastercard.

There is an extensive thread covering this subject under "Thai banks start to charge 150 Baht......"