2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650r Abs

BigBikeBKK

Do you like naked (ER6n) or faired (Ninja 650R)?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Naked (ER6n) or faired (Ninja 650R)?

• I like to keep my clothes on- gimme a Ninja 650R
    • Naked Baby! I like the ER6n!
    • Naked or faired- I like 'em both!

This poll is closed to new votes

$159 is a bit more than I had budgeted for but cheers for the offer, I'll keep an eye on ebay.

Off on a 7 day tour around the hill tribes, the back box has come in handy cos I fitted a 2 man tent and 2 sleeping bags in there, I'm gonna rough it for 2 nites out of the 6

I'll upload some pics on my return.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very happy with the stock Bridgestone Battlax BT021 tires on my Ninja 650R!

13000kmBattlaxBt021SSR.jpg

Got over 13,000 km out of the rear and it wasn't quite down to the wear markers- Probably could have gotten another 1000km out of it but didn't want to push my luck with a long ride to Nan coming up.

13000kmBattlaxBt021aSSR.jpg

Contrast that to the stock Dunlop Roadsmart on my ER6n which lasted only 8000 km and the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro which was an AWESOME tire but lasted only 7000km.

A new Bridgestone Battlax BT021 rear from Kawasaki cost me 4815 Baht, installed and balanced.

2010Ninja650R7.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

I was more looking at the carbon fiber chain guard. Not sure I had seen that installed yet. Very nice.

Cheers ScubaNinja :D

Just a friendly reminder- the "R" in Ninja 650R definitely does NOT stand for RACE! :)

Ryan_Farquhar_1663.jpg

Ride On!

Tony

Oh man!! How would I get a seat cowl made like that! Looks like the ZX6R. Give us a link to moar!

BigBikeBKK or anyone... Thinking of fitting Arrow full system, race air filter and PC at some point - anyone done?

Got a 650R last week... :) Weeeee!

Congrats!

Getting rid of the highly restricted and very heavy stock exhaust will give you a very noticeable performance gain. I had the TWO BROS on my ER6n and have an Arrow slip on my Ninja 650R. Both good pipes, but the TWO BROS is too loud for some. Replacing the stock headers with aftermarket will not make much difference IMO. Take a look at your air filter- I've yet to see an aftermarket that can breath any better than stock. Someone did recently run some dyno tests that showed a horsepower gain from removing the airbox baffles (snorkels). I always thought there was a gain but good to finally see it on paper.

Huskydog installed a PCV and autotune on his Ninja 650R and seems quite happy with it. I know some Thai guys who've installed PCIII's on their bikes and all seem happy with the extra power and quicker throttle response. My PCV and Autotune will arrive soon!

Ride On!

Tony

BigBikeBKK or anyone... Thinking of fitting Arrow full system, race air filter and PC at some point - anyone done?

Got a 650R last week... :) Weeeee!

Congrats!

Getting rid of the highly restricted and very heavy stock exhaust will give you a very noticeable performance gain. I had the TWO BROS on my ER6n and have an Arrow slip on my Ninja 650R. Both good pipes, but the TWO BROS is too loud for some. Replacing the stock headers with aftermarket will not make much difference IMO. Take a look at your air filter- I've yet to see an aftermarket that can breath any better than stock. Someone did recently run some dyno tests that showed a horsepower gain from removing the airbox baffles (snorkels). I always thought there was a gain but good to finally see it on paper.

Huskydog installed a PCV and autotune on his Ninja 650R and seems quite happy with it. I know some Thai guys who've installed PCIII's on their bikes and all seem happy with the extra power and quicker throttle response. My PCV and Autotune will arrive soon!

Ride On!

Tony

Cheers for that. Yep, saw bits elsewhere on net saying headers and replacement filter not that worth it. How does it feel with just the can and no PC/Autotune? I guess you still reckon it's worth the extra cash for them - which is quite a bit for both of these... Hmmm. They've got the Scorpion on 650R shop which states no remapping required - anyone got one fitted?

Hi All!

I don't know why, but the chains on my ER6n and Ninja 650R have been terrible.

Who else has had problems with the chain on their Kawasaki ER6n / Ninja 650R?

Only ~15,000km and already the chain on my Ninja is shot- it's stretched almost to the replacement markers, is all kinked and sounds 'hollow' like all the grease in the chain is gone, even though the o-rings still look ok...

I'm pretty conscientious about cleaning and oiling the chains on all my bikes. I don't know if Kawasaki is using cheap chains or if I'm just riding the bikes too hard or if the Thai climate is just really hard on chains, but on my Ninja 250R and my bikes in the US and Japan I never encountered this issue. I put almost 50,000 miles on the chain on my old CBR600F2!

I plan to take my bike down to Kawasaki tomorrow to complain about the terrible quality chain- I did the 12,000km service about 10 days ago and the chain was adjusted then. By the time I got to Nan it was extremely loose and kinked. I had to tighten it in Nan a few days ago and yesterday, just two days after adjusting it it was again ready to jump off the sprockets. Honestly, if this is the chain they are installing on export bikes I think they might have a recall on their hands. Only 15,000 km on the chain and I should have replaced it a couple of thousand km ago...

I'm guessing it's a Thai-made chain or Chinese import. Never experienced such a terrible quality chain... I'll post some pics later.

Amazing it got past Japanese QC, but I guess these are the things that can happen when you send production to 3rd world countries... :)

Anyone else experience similar problems?

Ride On!

Tony

same here tony! Regularly do 200 -300km journeys on my "N" and its all kinked and dry looking. Im also on 15,000km and when i come off the power you can hear it on the front sprocket, at first i thought it was something with the engine. at the 12,000km service i said replace anything you think needs replacing and it didnt need it then but it does now. maybe go for aftermarket at PK Thonglor any recommendations on brands?

Edited by kirky

I don't know why, but the chains on my ER6n and Ninja 650R have been terrible.

Who else has had problems with the chain on their Kawasaki ER6n / Ninja 650R?

I am on less than 7000 km still. I don't have problems as far as I know but it sure makes a terrible noise and am a bit worried about that. Very low quality chain would explain it. I don't really know enough about motorbikes to say whether or not this could have other causes than the chain itself... sprockets, vibrations, wheel balance... you'd think it would be pretty easy to get a basic part such as a chain right.

What does official Kawasaki say about this? I am sure if we're noticing then reports from the field should be coming in right around now when people have put some miles on their bikes.

Edited by nikster

Slowing for traffic? I'm going to start calling you Rustic. lol :D jk Terry

I kept getting distracted by what looks like a kiss mark on your windscreen. <deleted> happened Tony? Have a panic stop on the way home from the Friday night in drag? Or shall I call you...Tonya. ??? :)

1-1-20103-17-18AM.jpg

I'm seriously tho, pretty cool. I'm way jealous. I'd kiss it too.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Good road that. Will have to go try soon. I'm a bit more wary of 'waking up' drivers who then start veering about then you boys. I startle them - they startle me... Guess that's the score.

Did Chiang Rai, Chiang Khong, Chiang Kham, Chiang Rai loop Monday. 1155 & 1093 were def' worth a visit.

Slowing for traffic? I'm going to start calling you Rustic. lol :D jk Terry

I kept getting distracted by what looks like a kiss mark on your windscreen. <deleted> happened Tony? Have a panic stop on the way home from the Friday night in drag? Or shall I call you...Tonya. ??? :)

1-1-20103-17-18AM.jpg

I'm seriously tho, pretty cool. I'm way jealous. I'd kiss it too.

LMAO! Now ScoobieNinja, you should know better than to tease Rustic Charmless - he had his funny bone removed at birth don't you know? :D

As much as I love to kiss and fondle my bike, that's not my shade of lipstick so seems someone else has been having his/her way with my Mia Noi while I wasn't looking... :D

Dude- even you don't have a bike right now- just fly up to CM and rent a Ninja 650R and let's HIT IT! :D

Ride On!

Tony

Ninja650RHotBread.jpg

Hi Guys,

I finally made the decision and will get my ER-6N this Saturday in Phuket...after a long consideration of the Kawa, a Monster or a Street Triple...! Well, reason has gotten the better of me...can't always follow your heart...guys, even my Misses who is not into bikes (at all!) loved the looks of the Ducati...in white, now in Phuket showroom...class!!

I have ordered also the White "Kit" and wonder now where I could get the following mods: Arrow pipe, sliders, tank protector, maybe nicer mirrors...not really a lot, just to individualize it a little...

I live in Phuket and a shop here would be great, otherwise BKK would do fine!

Another, rather 'stupid' question, do you know a shop selling decent helmets in Phuket?

Appreciate any suggestion!

Many thanks

frank

Great vid BB. Can't wait to pick up my Ninja 650r next month :) I gotta change the handlebars though!

Cheers! Good fun! Yeah- the stock bars are a bit tall IMO. Lots of after market options available. I went for Sport Bars from Ninja650Shop dot com.

Dirt Shop in Bangkok carries a wide range of Rizoma bars that will work with the Ninja 650R and ER6n.

Ride On!

Tony

Hey Ninja fans!

Check out this vid I took over the weekend chasing Bakerboy and Tiger on the 120 to Phayao-

Ride On!

Tony

The 120 looks like fun Tony, checking it out on maps.google now. I can't view the video, but what its like going through the hills? Good amount of twisties it would seem :)

Edited by Garry

Hi Guys,

I finally made the decision and will get my ER-6N this Saturday in Phuket...after a long consideration of the Kawa, a Monster or a Street Triple...! Well, reason has gotten the better of me...can't always follow your heart...guys, even my Misses who is not into bikes (at all!) loved the looks of the Ducati...in white, now in Phuket showroom...class!!

I have ordered also the White "Kit" and wonder now where I could get the following mods: Arrow pipe, sliders, tank protector, maybe nicer mirrors...not really a lot, just to individualize it a little...

Another, rather 'stupid' question, do you know a shop selling decent helmets in Phuket?

Many thanks

frank

Hey enjoy the bike VS. You need to look at it this way, you can buy 2.5 er6n's for the price of the Triaumph or Duke. :)

There are a few helmet shops around Phuket, probably the best I have found that actually stocks stuff, mostly INDEX and Real, which aren't bad helmets, is on Phuket Rd in Town, next to the Thep Rasi Chinese Temple. Occasionally there is some good stuff in thre like Alpinestar, probably QA failures sold out the factorys back door. See map.

Phuket-town-map-4.gif

Otherwise the Ducati "dealer" (I guess the one you were talking about earlier) can order anything from Bangkok. So can Terra Motors on the bypass road north of Tesco, if you don't bother having to deal with the slothy and unhelpful German/Dutch? sales guy in there, if you can catch him between lunches that is.

Also, check out this thread on Phuket big bike riders:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Phuket-Sport-Bike-Owners-t331984.html

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Hi Guys,

Many thanks

frank

Hey enjoy the bike VS. You need to look at it this way, you can buy 2.5 er6n's for the price of the Triaumph or Duke. :D

There are a few helmet shops around Phuket, probably the best I have found that actually stocks stuff, mostly INDEX and Real, which aren't bad helmets, is on Phuket Rd in Town, next to the Thep Rasi Chinese Temple. Occasionally there is some good stuff in thre like Alpinestar, probably QA failures sold out the factorys back door. See map.

Phuket-town-map-4.gif

Otherwise the Ducati "dealer" (I guess the one you were talking about earlier) can order anything from Bangkok. So can Terra Motors on the bypass road north of Tesco, if you don't bother having to deal with the slothy and unhelpful German/Dutch? sales guy in there, if you can catch him between lunches that is.

Also, check out this thread on Phuket big bike riders:http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Phuket-Sport-Bike-Owners-t331984.html

Absolutely correct, I could by 2.5 Kawas...but I could not drive them in the same time...could I :)

Many thanks for the info on helmets...heard about that shop you mentioned on the map, I believe it is there since ages, wasn't sure if they had only "plastic" helmets for 1xUsage...

Again, thanks for the info...

cheers...and tomorrow is the Day...

Absolutely correct, I could by 2.5 Kawas...but I could not drive them in the same time...could I :)

Many thanks for the info on helmets...heard about that shop you mentioned on the map, I believe it is there since ages, wasn't sure if they had only "plastic" helmets for 1xUsage...

No you couldn't ride them at the same time, but I doubt you will get 2.5x the fun out of a Triumph or Duke.

Sorry, "1x usage"? If by "usage" you mean crashing with it, I think all helmets are 1x usage no? :D

I'm excited for you! I decided that once I save 140k I'm putting it on another 650R,and financing the rest. (or maybe if my dream comes true and they start selling ZX6R at a reasonable price)

VSky I went by the Kwackers shop and it looked all closed up, like permanently. Did you get your bike?

Tony why are you always in the rear?

At least your windscreen is cleaner. :D

Yeah, no kissie marks this time :D

I hang back when taking vids because I think it looks better to have a couple of bikes out front. (Despite what RusticCharmless says I've really got nothing to prove by being out front) 555! :)

This road just keeps going and going! I'll work on part II next and the road actually get's BETTER than Part 1! Hard to believe, but you will see!

Ride On!

Tony