Collecting Evidence For Thai Girl To Get Uk Tourist Visa

Hi,

first of all I'd like to thank everyone for all kinds of advice and opinions which i have seen on this forum, it has been very helpful and informative.

Ok now to my questions;

I understand that to get a Uk tourist Visa for my girlfriend can be a failrly long process so I have begun to collect the evidence of a long-term relationship now with a view to making an application next year at the earliest. That will give us time to see if the relationship has a future and, hopefully, the embassy staff can see the evidence they require.

I have no problem getting photographs of us together (at the moment I only have photo's of her and she of me but that will be addressed during my next visit in September)

There are a few emails but more from me to her than the other way round although this will also be addressed in September :-)

I have Western Union receipts that show small amounts of money from me to her but I wanted to show those as evidence of contact rather than support as I don't really support her, nor does she want me to.

Does anyone have experience of getting phone records from one of the low cost call companies? I use 'Just Call' all my phone records will show is that I dial a UK landline as that is how I place the calls to her.

She lives in Koh Samui but her ID is from Khorat, two children live with her sister in Chiang Rai. So how eactly do we go about satisfying the UK embassy that she will return to Thailand?

I know honesty is the best policy and she genuinely does not want to stay in the UK but wants to visit me at some point to see where I was born and raised (East London) so she can understand more about my life and my culture. But surely just saying that will not be enough.

I own my own flat and am in full time employment, I only expect her to come for two or three weeks at the most.

I've seen a few posts and it seems to me that the main reason for refusal is the embassy staff being unconvincved of the applicants reasons for returning to Thailand.

She doesn't own any land or a house and her employment is cash in hand so I'm assuming there will be no tax record. Oh by the way she's 34 and I'm 46 so the age difference is not that great... she's only a year younger than my english ex g/f :-)

It is possible that her boss could write a letter but then again I'm thinking he might not want to do that for the above mentioned tax reasons.

Another question I have is regarding tickets, when applying for a visa is it necessary to have already bought her a return ticket? I guess a refundable one would be the right way to go in case the visa is refused?

I have looked at previous posts but am still not clear on these issues, so please accept my apologies if anyone feels these questions have already been answered elswhere and if ththey have can you please point me to those answers.

Thanks in advance,

Biff

There are three main points that the Entry Clearance Officer needs to be satisfied about before issuing a visit visa. Namely:-

1) This is a genuine visit, for the purpose stated.

2) The applicant will leave the UK when, or before, the visa expires; known as 'reason to return.'

3) The applicant will be adequately supported and accommodated whilst in the UK; either from their own resources, those of a sponsor (or sponsors) or a combination of both, without the visitor taking employment in the UK.

There are others as well (See Para 41 of the immigration rules), but for general visitors these three are the most important.

One way of satisfying the reason to return is by showing she has a job; to use this she will need a letter from her employer granting her a leave of absence. Owning property can also be an advantage. Unfortunately her children will not be considered, by themselves, as a reason because many Thai women travel long distances, often abroad, to work and send money home, leaving their children in the care of relatives in Thailand.

Having said that, many couples have successfully obtained a visit visa when the Thai partner has no obvious reason to return; based purely on the strength of their relationship. If the ECO is satisfied that the relationship is genuine then they will feel that the visitor would not want to jeopardise any future settlement application by overstaying or otherwise breaching the terms of a visit visa.

So the more evidence of your relationship the better, such as you have outlined in your opening post. Do not worry about the low cost access number, simply highlight the number on your phone bills and explain what it is in your sponsor's letter. The ECOs are used to this.

Also in your sponsors letter you should briefly outline the history of your relationship, the reason for the visit at this time and what your future plans are together.

As for when to apply, there is no set minimum period sponsor and applicant need to have known each other; it is the strength of the relationship that is important, not the length. Though obviously the longer you have known each other the better.

Having a return ticket is not viewed as a reason to return. If someone was intending the use a visit visa to enter the UK for some other purpose, e.g. to work, then the cost of a return ticket would be a minor expense. Indeed, the official advice is to not purchase a ticket until after you have the visa.

You may find the following helpful:-

Maintenance and accommodation (Most of this applies to settlement applications, but some is relevant to visitors.)

Guidance - Visitors (INF 2)

Guidance - Sponsors (INF 3)

Supporting documents; social visit.

For where and how to apply, fees etc. see UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok

(Edited for typos)

Edited by 7by7

You have been very detailed I'm sure many forum members will respect your honesty and offer only candour in their advice.

IMO The best answer you are going to get is the one from 7by7…

Please be careful… cynics will follow and I feel that their advice might also be worth adhering to.

Yes thanks :-) I'm prepared to listen to cynical advice too :-)

I read lots and lots of it before i even met her and it's stood me in good stead as much as the encouraging adivce...if not more!!!

I'm not sure if i should tell the ECO that I'll drag her back to the aiport myself after the first weekend if she turns nasty on me...what d'you reckon? lol

Seriously though, she has a few friends who have been succesful in their applications and one in particular who has visited the UK a number of times and I'm encouraging her to pick their brains about this too.

hey, it's all a long way off in the future if it even happens at all! But Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance. So, if there's evidence to be gathered over a number of months then i'd like to start gathering it now :-)

Once again thanks for the advice on this and everything else I've read...including all the cynics!!!

Two more pieces of advice.

Tell her to make sure she dresses respectably whenever she visits the Visa Application Centre.

She may well be asked how long she intends to stay in the UK, by either the VAC or immigration at Heathrow. If she says 2 weeks, make sure she goes back after 2 weeks. This will help with further Visa applications.

I wish you both Good Luck

I was thinking about this the other day, not really worth a new topic as it is basically the same subject, so can anyone tell me how I would prove the status of my relationship with my g/f for a tourist visit? I would be looking at next year.

Brief history, I moved to Thailand 3 1/2 years ago, and have been together now for 3 years. As I was living in Thailand already there is no paper trail of emails/ phone bills etc. We have lots of photos but these could have been taken at any time. We have been living together in rented houses for virtually 3 years now, effectively as man and wife.

I work for a Thai company travelling all over the world, she doesn't work. It would only be a short visit due to my work commitments back here, probably 2-3 weeks. I still have property in the UK and some appartments here, she doesn't have any property in her name. Neither of us have any kids. I would be staying with my mother (who has been here and met her), and travelling around my brothers' houses around the UK (2 of whom have been here and met her).

The one good thing is that with her previous boyfriend she visited Europe, HK, Bali and all the neighbouring countries here, so she has some history.

The only angle I can think of is to get letters from all my family members who have been here and met her, they all really like her and would love to see her in the UK, any ideas?

I was thinking about this the other day, not really worth a new topic as it is basically the same subject, so can anyone tell me how I would prove the status of my relationship with my g/f for a tourist visit? I would be looking at next year.

Brief history, I moved to Thailand 3 1/2 years ago, and have been together now for 3 years. As I was living in Thailand already there is no paper trail of emails/ phone bills etc. We have lots of photos but these could have been taken at any time. We have been living together in rented houses for virtually 3 years now, effectively as man and wife.

I work for a Thai company travelling all over the world, she doesn't work. It would only be a short visit due to my work commitments back here, probably 2-3 weeks. I still have property in the UK and some appartments here, she doesn't have any property in her name. Neither of us have any kids. I would be staying with my mother (who has been here and met her), and travelling around my brothers' houses around the UK (2 of whom have been here and met her).

The one good thing is that with her previous boyfriend she visited Europe, HK, Bali and all the neighbouring countries here, so she has some history.

The only angle I can think of is to get letters from all my family members who have been here and met her, they all really like her and would love to see her in the UK, any ideas?

If you have been living together for three years do you have any paperwork to prove it? proof of a sustaining relationship seems to be acceptable as a reason to return. I recently did it for my gf of two years, our current condo is in both of our names and I also provided a letter from our letting agent to cover the first year.

You will need to provide details of where you will both be staying in the UK, but I wouldn't have thought letters from your family would be necessary.

I would have thought proof that you are together in Thailand with details of your Thailand based employment together with a robust sponsors letter and details of your finances coupled with her previous travel history would mean that she would be in with a shout.

Two more pieces of advice.

Tell her to make sure she dresses respectably whenever she visits the Visa Application Centre.

She may well be asked how long she intends to stay in the UK, by either the VAC or immigration at Heathrow. If she says 2 weeks, make sure she goes back after 2 weeks. This will help with further Visa applications.

I wish you both Good Luck

2 further pieces of advice:-

(1) Allow plenty of time for her visa application to be considered by the Embassy. My Thai wife's application to join me on a recent visit to the UK took 4 weeks.

(2) If you are a Brit, your Thai partner will be able to accompany you through the EC/EEA channel at LHR Immigration if you are travelling together. We only found this out after a joyful half hour in the long and slow All Other queue :)

If you have been living together for three years do you have any paperwork to prove it? proof of a sustaining relationship seems to be acceptable as a reason to return. I recently did it for my gf of two years, our current condo is in both of our names and I also provided a letter from our letting agent to cover the first year.

You will need to provide details of where you will both be staying in the UK, but I wouldn't have thought letters from your family would be necessary.

I would have thought proof that you are together in Thailand with details of your Thailand based employment together with a robust sponsors letter and details of your finances coupled with her previous travel history would mean that she would be in with a shout.

No joint paperwork, everything has been in my name (must have read too many horror stories on TV :) )

We have a good relationships with previous and current landlords which cover almost 3 years, would letters from them be acceptable?

What do you mean by a 'robust sponsors letter'? Is that a letter from me?

No joint paperwork, everything has been in my name (must have read too many horror stories on TV :) )

We have a good relationships with previous and current landlords which cover almost 3 years, would letters from them be acceptable?

I would have thought that letters from the landlords would suffice, even letters to addressed to either of you at your home, anything that leaves the ECO in no doubt that you live together. I supplied a letter from the letting agent as well as letters addressed to us together and individually

Yes indeed, the ECO needs to be satisfied that the application is genuine and that she will return and he or she doesn't have too much tome to make a decision. In your letter describe your relationship and your plans for the future, give details of the trip and how and why you are paying and that it's affordable. Provide documentary evidence to support everything you have said. It also helps if your girlfriend provides a covering letter, if she is not too good with her written English and you help her say so in both of the letters.

Leave the ECO in no doubt that the trip is genuine, as is your relationship, your plans for the future are currently in Thailand, and you should be there.

I would have thought that letters from the landlords would suffice, even letters to addressed to either of you at your home, anything that leaves the ECO in no doubt that you live together. I supplied a letter from the letting agent as well as letters addressed to us together and individually

Yes indeed, the ECO needs to be satisfied that the application is genuine and that she will return and he or she doesn't have too much tome to make a decision. In your letter describe your relationship and your plans for the future, give details of the trip and how and why you are paying and that it's affordable. Provide documentary evidence to support everything you have said. It also helps if your girlfriend provides a covering letter, if she is not too good with her written English and you help her say so in both of the letters.

Leave the ECO in no doubt that the trip is genuine, as is your relationship, your plans for the future are currently in Thailand, and you should be there.

Thanks for the very useful advice, not something I have researched too much yet, but this thread triggered me to follow up something that had been nagging me for a while.

As I said it won't be for 6 months or more (probably next summer now), so I will get some bills either in joint or her name in the interim, which can only help I guess.

The rules are on the UK/BA website, however application experience is always a factor many people apply for a Tourist visa only a few times only. As we do this regularly i have also found the strength of the relationship can be a major factor lots of clients have been successful without a job or any assets.

The ECO officer will expect to see all the usual evidence he/she is aware of the cheap phone rates and dialed numbers we all use.

If you have assets a job include them within the application obviously and build up a portfolio of evidence the more the better.

Good luck.

The rules are on the UK/BA website, however application experience is always a factor many people apply for a Tourist visa only a few times only. As we do this regularly i have also found the strength of the relationship can be a major factor lots of clients have been successful without a job or any assets.

The ECO officer will expect to see all the usual evidence he/she is aware of the cheap phone rates and dialed numbers we all use.

If you have assets a job include them within the application obviously and build up a portfolio of evidence the more the better.

Good luck.

With regard to assets and a job... i'm presuming that a job means one with tax records? What should we do in my case as my g/f job probably doesn't have any traceable history and she is registered for health care and voting in Khorat but lives in Koh Samui? I'm fairly confident that we can show the relationship is strong enough but do we have to show evidence of employment? I will be showing that I am paying for the tickets and accomodation will be in my flat, money for expenses will all be mine so will they really care if she has a job or not?

I really don't want to mess this up because I've read threads where errors have been made in the first application and everyone's advice was that it had pretty well messed up the applicants chances of ever getting a visa!

Thanks again.

Biff

Defamatory post deleted.

Might it be this one ?

I don't know but I doubt it unless giving an example of my experience with the uk embassy in BKK is considered defamatory, is it?

Brigante7.

well, defematory or not I'd certainly like to see your example of your eperience with the UK embassy in BKK so if you could pm me with it i'd appreciate it.

Maybe a small point but embassies always go through applicants' bank records. Even if she is being paid in cash, it's worth telling her to deposit the cash in her bank account. Evidence of the same or similar amount being deposited at the end of the month gives a better impression that she has a regular income in Thailand. My gf has never been asked for pay slips or tax records by the UK, US or other farang embassies in Bkk - just the company letter and I guess that, if the monthly deposits match up with the salary, they don't need to ask for anything more. They also like to see seasoned money. Therefore wiring her one or two hundred thousand baht 6 - 12 months before the application will do a lot more good than depositing the money day before. assuming you can trust her to keep the money that long and not use for a series of unforeseen family emergencies. Mine was once asked by the Australian embassy for evidence of relationship in the form of a photo album of past trips together. This was particularly annoying as we had only travelled as a couple and there was not usually any one else to take pictures of us together. We managed to scrape something together to satisfy those Ozzie idiots but their ridiculous delay made us miss our flight. When we made it to Sydney we took loads of shots together in front of the bridge and with kangaroos for next time. My friend is married to a Singaporean and told me she can travel virtually anywhere without a visa.

Maybe a small point but embassies always go through applicants' bank records. Even if she is being paid in cash, it's worth telling her to deposit the cash in her bank account. Evidence of the same or similar amount being deposited at the end of the month gives a better impression that she has a regular income in Thailand. My gf has never been asked for pay slips or tax records by the UK, US or other farang embassies in Bkk - just the company letter and I guess that, if the monthly deposits match up with the salary, they don't need to ask for anything more. They also like to see seasoned money. Therefore wiring her one or two hundred thousand baht 6 - 12 months before the application will do a lot more good than depositing the money day before. assuming you can trust her to keep the money that long and not use for a series of unforeseen family emergencies. Mine was once asked by the Australian embassy for evidence of relationship in the form of a photo album of past trips together. This was particularly annoying as we had only travelled as a couple and there was not usually any one else to take pictures of us together. We managed to scrape something together to satisfy those Ozzie idiots but their ridiculous delay made us miss our flight. When we made it to Sydney we took loads of shots together in front of the bridge and with kangaroos for next time. My friend is married to a Singaporean and told me she can travel virtually anywhere without a visa.

Thanks for your info, very useful :-)

Most of her cash is paid into her bank and then transfered to her sister in Chiang Rai to help support her children so I'm guessing there will be records of that?

As far as transferring 100,000 baht 6 months before she comes here.... I was going to sponsor her visit, pay for her ticket and show funds available to me to pay for all her expenses while she was here not give her more money than she's ever seen in one place before and see if she can keep hold of it with two kids to support and a network of friends who always always always help each other out. I think, in my case anyway, that would not be fair on her and would just be asking for trouble.

I do understand about seasoned money and the possibility of me showing long-term support for her, but that's not how our relationship works. i do want her to come and visit me in the UK but I'm hoping that it can be done based on the reality of the situation and that we can show the ECO that it is a genuine relationship of two independant individuals who have no intent to abuse the immigration system by her staying here on a holiday visa.

I have read many threads in many places and there seem to be many different opinions as to how to go about this.

I am hoping that honesty will pay off in the long-run as she genuinely does not want to come and live here. Who knows? maybe she'll love it and want to stay but, somehow, I doubt it.

Oh the thing about the photo's is so true!!! we both have photos of each other but none of the two of us!!! I'll be putting that right in ...just under three weeks :-)

Anyway, thanks to the last poster and to everyone who has helped with their input so far :-)

any more advice will also be welcome :-)

Biff