The Thai Legal System

david96

The Thai Legal System (as practiced)

With the various problems being experienced by foreigners pehaps some of our more

experienced members might like to give their advice. We could start with the following

sub headings:

Thai Lawyers, Do they act in the interests of the client at all times?

How to deal with the Thai Police if apprehended.

The Third party and arranging "facilitation payments" to police and others.

The term "not guilty until proven innocent" by a court is not practiced in Thailand

Bail monies and security.

What happens if you are falsely charged with an offence, ie, "set up"

Remember many people come to Thailand and think that the legal system is similar

to their own country, not realising that the law here can be tough including the penalities

for breaking the law.

Perhaps a word or two from sponsors that promote their legal wares on Thaivisa.

With the various problems being experienced by foreigners pehaps some of our more

experienced members might like to give their advice. We could start with the following

sub headings:

The term "not guilty until proven innocent" by a court is not practiced in Thailand

Remember many people come to Thailand and think that the legal system is similar

to their own country, not realising that the law here can be tough including the penalities

for breaking the law.

I have found that the system works especially if you have a Thai with you. Assumptions should never be used and the places you frequent have a lot to do with the type of trouble you will find. I have a team of lawyers. One lawyer is the expert on Thai law and the second lawyer is the interpreter for me with a team of lawyers back at the office. Thailand is very similar when it comes to spending. You get what you pay for and the more you pay the better representation you receive. Thailand is like the big city back in the U.S. for it is a city of opportunity for good and evil. I rarely travel without the presence of a Thai for I am still learning the language. The best advise I can give is this "When in Thailand be like a Thai". Keep an open mind and learn your opponents ways of thinking and enjoy the diversity and methods of life in your new environment. I realize that i didnt address everyone of your concerns but legal advise is not my forte in Thailand. Just the street smarts I bring with me that apply to almost every country I visit. Live and learn. Good luck.

I was thinking of general advice for travellers who may fall foul of the authorities and are charged with a criminal offence.

How long does one have to wait for a court hearing? Is bail determined before you are formally charged? The purpose of the "fine" in lieu of a formal charge.

Are all dealings between your lawyer and the police at "arms length"?

What evidence is allowed into a court hearing?

Is hearsay evidence allowed?

Police procedure? Court procedure?

We have seen recent examples experienced by travellers detained at Bangkok International

Airport.

Most travellers will not have any problems, but you could be involved in a traffic accident when

someone is injured or killed, and now you are facing a very real problem.

And remember you are not in your home country.

sub headings:

for breaking the law.

I have found that the system works especially if you have a Thai with you. Assumptions should never be used and the places you frequent have a lot to do with the type of trouble you will find. I have a team of lawyers. One lawyer is the expert on Thai law and the second lawyer is the interpreter for me with a team of lawyers back at the office. Thailand is very similar when it comes to spending. You get what you pay for and the more you pay the better representation you receive. Thailand is like the big city back in the U.S. for it is a city of opportunity for good and evil. I rarely travel without the presence of a Thai for I am still learning the language. The best advise I can give is this "When in Thailand be like a Thai". Keep an open mind and learn your opponents ways of thinking and enjoy the diversity and methods of life in your new environment. I realize that i didnt address everyone of your concerns but legal advise is not my forte in Thailand. Just the street smarts I bring with me that apply to almost every country I visit. Live and learn. Good luck.

Why would you need a team of lawyers/ If you are not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about. when traveling, or living abroad, you should review the laws of the country you are either visiting, or living in. I've lived in Thailand for six years, and often travel alone, with absolutely no problems at all.

Barry

I have a team of lawyers. One lawyer is the expert on Thai law and the second lawyer is the interpreter for me with a team of lawyers back at the office. I rarely travel without the presence of a Thai for I am still learning the language. The best advise I can give is this "When in Thailand be like a Thai".

:):D .....You forgot to add you travel everywhere with your body guards....

Why do you need to retain a "team" of lawyers... :D ....unless you have done something wrong, or you intend to do something wrong.... :D ...what a crock...

I was thinking of general advice for travellers who may fall foul of the authorities and are charged with a criminal offence.

How long does one have to wait for a court hearing? Is bail determined before you are formally charged? The purpose of the "fine" in lieu of a formal charge.

Are all dealings between your lawyer and the police at "arms length"? NOT ALWAYS

What evidence is allowed into a court hearing?

Is hearsay evidence allowed? NO

Police procedure? Court procedure?

We have seen recent examples experienced by travellers detained at Bangkok International

Airport.

Most travellers will not have any problems, but you could be involved in a traffic accident when

someone is injured or killed, and now you are facing a very real problem.

And remember you are not in your home country.