Strange Tide In Hua Hin

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

I you check the tide table you will see that the tide changes from once a day to twice a day.

What's happening? :)

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyT...dictionLength=7

Normally you will have two highs and two lows in a 24 hour period....around 6 hours between low and high.

I have no idea what the single tide per day is about....being up the gulf perhaps. I notice that there is only a very small difference between HW and LW....so the Gulf Of Thailand is not as tidal as other places, I guess. The tide "wave" moves East to West as it goes around the globe. You have a huge dam effect from the Malaysian peninsula.

Just guessing.

I read that three gulfs have one high tide per day - Mexico, Thailand, and Carpenteria in NE Australia.

I agree but now it says there will be tides twice a day starting on Thursday 20th Aug. So just curious as to why they would go from one a day to twice a day. My impression is that the once a day tides are caused by the distance between the shores. Don't think they that has changed lately. :) One of lifes great mysteries?

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyT...dictionLength=7

The MOON is your answer.

Yeah, probably. The moon, depending on it's phase, is the cause of king and neap tides elsewhere.

20th Aug is a is a new moon, so does that mean by the end of the month it will be back to a normal one tide a day??

you seemed to be really concerned about this. are you launching the QE3 or something?

The MOON is your answer.

Yeah, probably. The moon, depending on it's phase, is the cause of king and neap tides elsewhere.

20th Aug is a is a new moon, so does that mean by the end of the month it will be back to a normal one tide a day??

you can use a link such as this one to see the effects:

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyT...dictionLength=7

As I understand it, most of the time the two tides in a country like Thailand which has a single tide per day, is actually still 2 tides but they are so overlapped as to seem like a single high and low point per day, but with a hump or slight distortion on the way in and out. As will occur Monday Tuesday. At certain times the 'sync' of the two means there is actually a short period that we get 2 tides (to ins, to outs) each day but this is not so common.

Around this time of year there are some big tidal flows in the gulf of Thailand; it is similar year in year out, just as in the December period it seems the tide is always in during the day, and out at night; while in May/June it is the exact reverse.

Rather strange, and there was some debate a while back that (someone claimed) everywhere in the world has 2 tides per day, and a single tide per day doens't occur. I suppose it depends how you define single or 2.