Arsene Wenger Believes The Unquenchable Thirst For Money Among Top Clubs

sanmiguellight

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...5496808,00.html

The Arsenal boss flew in to Glasgow on Monday for the first leg of the Champions League play against Celtic on Tuesday night and claimed that there was no financial pressure on him to get to the group stages of the competition. However, in the context of discussing whether Celtic or Rangers would be a welcome addition to the Premier League, Wenger expanded his views on the future of the game.

And in doing so, the Frenchman claimed greed could eventually put an end to the Champions League.

"I believe you have two parts of Scottish club football; you have Rangers and Celtic and then the rest," the Frenchman said.

"I would say that Celtic and Rangers could compete, certainly, in the Premier League in the top eight. "The other teams at the moment are not equipped for that.

"But I see more of a European League developing in time anyway. "The national leagues will survive, but maybe in 10 years you will have a European League.

"The way we are going now financially, even the money coming in from the Champions League for some clubs who spend so much money will not be enough anymore because the income is basically owned by UEFA and they distribute the money to the clubs.

"I'm not sure 100 per cent that I am right, but I feel that there are some voices behind the scenes in our game aiming to do something about a European league, especially if the rules become too restrictive for the big clubs as things currently stand."

Wenger continued: "If a European league (does happen) the question is whether clubs will transfer from a national league or whether it is a franchised European league.

"That's the question people will have to answer.

"I personally believe only in sporting merit, so if one league is created there has to be promotion up and down. "But that would be, practically, very difficult to resolve.

"I do not want to kill the national leagues so each team should have to play in the national league and in Europe.

"That means the Euro league taking place in midweek and the national league over the weekend.

"All this would mean having two teams, basically."

You can bet your life the owners of Chelsea, Man City, Man U and Liverpool would push for the above scenario, they need to recoup their investment and pay off their debt somehow.

Edited by sanmiguellight