Tot Internet Speed Gone To hel_l

rohitsuk

I recently switched from TT&T Premier (was that ever a misnomer) to TOT 3 megabyte in the forlorn hope of a better “service”. Out of the frying pan and headfirst into the fire I am afraid. For the past two days my exterior monitored speed has ranged between 10 and 50 kbps which, at worst is 1/300th of the promised 3 megs. What the hel_l is going on, does anybody know ???

Welcome to Internet service in Chiang Mai.

I used to use TRUE when living in Bkk, and it was fast and very reliable. When i first moved to CM, i was in a building where a wireless network monopolised and i certainly didn't get value for my 980 Baht/Mo. I tell ya, it was slow, often off line, and totally unreliable. It brought me close to tears at times :)

I've been back with TRUE for the past 2.5 years now, and apart from the occasional hiccup, it is as good as Bkk. Fast, reliable, and very predicable. I would like to move this year, but because TRUE is not yet in all areas, I have to find a place where i can connect to them. I'm online all day every day, so a good connection is very important.

Btw, they offer free installation and there is no charge for cable up to 100M. If you're a bit high up and need more, i think the installation (labour) is still free, but there's a modest charge for each extra metre of cable used.

Aitch

Welcome to Internet service in Chiang Mai.

I used to use TRUE when living in Bkk, and it was fast and very reliable. When i first moved to CM, i was in a building where a wireless network monopolised and i certainly didn't get value for my 980 Baht/Mo. I tell ya, it was slow, often off line, and totally unreliable. It brought me close to tears at times :)

I've been back with TRUE for the past 2.5 years now, and apart from the occasional hiccup, it is as good as Bkk. Fast, reliable, and very predicable. I would like to move this year, but because TRUE is not yet in all areas, I have to find a place where i can connect to them. I'm online all day every day, so a good connection is very important.

Btw, they offer free installation and there is no charge for cable up to 100M. If you're a bit high up and need more, i think the installation (labour) is still free, but there's a modest charge for each extra metre of cable used.

Aitch

Unfortunately they don't provide service in all parts of Chiang Mai, something about some areas being "full". I'm about #75 on the waiting list for service in the Nimmanhamin area.

Its the international gateway that has a problem ... slowest Thai speeds are well within their (TOT) tolarance, but international speeds have varied in the last 3 months from 4.2Mb download to 4kb!! The past week has been very bad and I doubt its the undersea cables in the South China Sea as my friend in HK tells me these were reportedly all fixed by the 16th Aug. Anyone know if there is a new DNS setting can try ??

My recently fast TOT connection has been in slow motion for the past few days too. I put it down to the weather :)

ditto. upgraded our TOT line recently and it was reasonably good. between the weather and the undersea cables this past few days it's been woeful.

Its the international gateway that has a problem ... slowest Thai speeds are well within their (TOT) tolarance, but international speeds have varied in the last 3 months from 4.2Mb download to 4kb!! The past week has been very bad and I doubt its the undersea cables in the South China Sea as my friend in HK tells me these were reportedly all fixed by the 16th Aug. Anyone know if there is a new DNS setting can try ??

not sure if the gateway is the problem but the last couple of days, ie well after the typhoon whe speed had plummited to make a coffee between clicks. what of the promis of speeds in excess of 8 mb, i cant get my paid for 2 at the moment.

worse in evening but that is to be expected

Ditto where we are in sansai. Absolute rubbish speeds lately and TOT is our only affordable option.

I was wondering if it really makes any difference what speed level you pay for - we are meant to get 1,000kbs but usually get a fraction of that - when the system isn't down that is.

A while back they offered the choice of staying at our present speed (joke) and getting a price reduction OR going to double the speed and paying the same. I took the view that a speed upgrade was an unlikely gamble while the discount was a certainty, so opted for the latter. Has anyone else gone up or down the (marketed) speed levels and noticed any difference (with TOT)?

Anyone else had problems with CAT lately? They have been great for several years, but the last couple of weeks (even before the cable thing in Taiwan), the speed has been way below acceptable levels.

Today I get 4 kbps to US. A modem connection performs better. Speed to BKK is normal, it's only the international link that is affected.

My friends that use Maxnet get close to normal speed, so it must be related to CAT's gateway I assume. I have a CDMA subscription as a backup, but it's constantly disconnecting.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to this speed problem, or lack of it, anyone else seeing the loss of connection, approximately every 5-10 minutes. I am living in Sansai and have the Cybergold package. I cannot download large files as they get halfway through then stop when the line is lost. After several attempts to download some files from Toshiba I finally conceeded defeat.

Anyone any thoughts on why there is this loss of data every 5-10 minutes, and more importantly how it can be avoided ?

In addition to this speed problem, or lack of it, anyone else seeing the loss of connection, approximately every 5-10 minutes. I am living in Sansai and have the Cybergold package. I cannot download large files as they get halfway through then stop when the line is lost. After several attempts to download some files from Toshiba I finally conceeded defeat.

Anyone any thoughts on why there is this loss of data every 5-10 minutes, and more importantly how it can be avoided ?

Download a "Download Manager" such as this if you're running Windows. Then you can resume the download if it gets interrupted. It also speeds up downloads.

I have some serious problems with CAT. After many years of happy marriage, the last 2/3 weeks the connection speed , good (up to 2 Mb down) from 10/11pm to 10/11 am, crash to a 200/300 kb.

The usually serious and efficient customer service didn't do anything positive to fix the problem, I guess national.

The typhoon in china and taiwan last week damaged 10 underwater internet cables under the south china sea. Most internet services are slower since that event.

??? Thyphoons go that deep ????

Maybe they should use longer telephone poles...

I think that is excuse # 34,233, which is the same as the rest of the BS you get from the talking morons.

Everytime I see the orange TOT Monkey wagon and the ladder come out, I know within an hour the internet will be out.

Also if someone just mentions, even the forcasters, the word ' R-A-I-N ' ..... DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD....... you will have problems shortly

The typhoon in china and taiwan last week damaged 10 underwater internet cables under the south china sea. Most internet services are slower since that event.

??? Thyphoons go that deep ????

Maybe they should use longer telephone poles...

I think that is excuse # 34,233, which is the same as the rest of the BS you get from the talking morons.

Everytime I see the orange TOT Monkey wagon and the ladder come out, I know within an hour the internet will be out.

Also if someone just mentions, even the forcasters, the word ' R-A-I-N ' ..... DON'T SAY IT OUT LOUD....... you will have problems shortly

Maxnet Premier 3Mb Package, not too bad today but no r a i n yet. :)

552616893.png

Download a "Download Manager" such as this if you're running Windows. Then you can resume the download if it gets interrupted. It also speeds up downloads.

Many thanks MrSouza, will give it a bash.

where do you put in these DNS setting to try and boost your speed?